Back to Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series (Project-Centered Course)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series (Project-Centered Course) by Michigan State University

What you’ll achieve: In this project-centered course*, you will design a series bible and write a complete pilot episode for your own unique television or web series, be it drama or comedy or something in between. You’ll learn to break down the creative process into components, and you’ll discover a structured process that allows you to produce a polished and pitch-ready script in just a few weeks. Completing this project will increase your confidence in your ideas and abilities, and you’ll feel prepared to pitch your first script and get started on your next. This is a course designed to tap into your creativity and is based in "Active Learning". Most of the actual learning takes place within your own activities - that is, writing! You will learn by doing. "Thank you so much for your direct way of teaching this course. It was encouraging for us all to creatively flow and find our own voice in writing and developing our scripts. This aspect was very important to me." Ingrid The course curriculum is simple: you’ll write, revise your work, and share feedback with your peers. I am a proponent of Experiential Learning (active learning). My lectures are short (sometimes just two minutes long) and to the point, designed in a step-by-step process essential to your success as a script writer. I will guide you but I won’t "show" you how to write. I firmly believe that the only way to become a writer is to write, write, write. “David's lecture style for this course is inspired. The videos are succinct and engaging. When I watch the lectures I feel David’s sincere desire for me to create something truly amazing. He is teaching us how to write a script, and he is providing wisdom and tools that will help us do so in a compelling way - by writing; not by watching him talk at us.” - A R Adamson What you’ll need to get started: To begin with, any basic word processor will do. During week two, you can choose to download some free scriptwriting software such as Celtx or Trelby or you may choose to purchase Final Draft, or you can continue to use your word processor and do your own script formatting. Learner Review: "I am in love with this course. Having never written a script before, or any substantive fiction since college (15 years ago) I had a small idea in my head that has now exploded into something I really believe in. David's guidance is spot on, he's his own compelling story teller, he gives you enough, and then you have to figure it out, make it happen, WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! " *About Project-Centered Courses: This is a ‘project-centered course’, which means it is designed specifically to help you complete a personally meaningful real-world project, with your instructor and a community of learners with similar goals providing guidance and suggestions along the way. By actively applying new concepts as you learn, you’ll master the course content more efficiently; you’ll also get a head start on using the skills you gain to make positive changes in your life and career. When you complete the course, you’ll have a finished project that you’ll be proud to use and share. Time: 1-2 hours of study, 30+ hours of active project work...

AA

Jun 14, 2016

David Wheeler is awesome, and I love this course! I am so glad that Coursera and Michigan State University have partnered to offer this course to those of us who have a thirst for learning! Thank you!

JF

Sep 28, 2016

Fantastic course, loved the way it walked you step by step through the process and the formatting. This course could have been ten weeks and still wouldn't be enough. Awesome hands on learning.

101 - 125 of 165 Reviews for Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series (Project-Centered Course)

By Faiz S

Aug 17, 2016

Very methodical, but still makes writing fun... and exciting.

By Mikhail P

Jul 20, 2019

Really helped me to finish my script, finally! thanks!

By Patricia L

Apr 14, 2019

Writing ain't easy, but it sure is satisfying as hell!

By Todor V

Dec 28, 2017

Really motivated me to sit my lazy-ass down and WRITE!

By Ricardo P

Mar 09, 2017

Inspiring, direct, practical and very well structured.

By Ali M

Feb 15, 2019

Great course to take for starting your ideas flowing.

By 朱思伟

Dec 15, 2016

Here are great Professor,Mentor and other Teachers.

By Jenifer V

Jun 22, 2019

This has been the best learning experience for me.

By Sebastian P

Jun 29, 2017

Very activity driven. Attentive and active staff.

By Mohd F

Jan 30, 2020

The Instructor is amazing. He helped a lot.

By Mariano H G R

Oct 25, 2019

Un curso genial y muy práctico. Gracias!

By Aimee j

Nov 13, 2016

I am SO glad I found this course online!

By Erica E

May 12, 2016

This is a fun and challenging course.

By Bryan G

May 07, 2019

It was a great learning experience!!

By susana h

Oct 17, 2019

I learned so much from this course.

By Dylan M

Aug 21, 2017

Had a lot of fun and learned a lot!

By Francisco F G L

Feb 22, 2019

Great course, amazing experience!

By Manuel A R S

Sep 05, 2019

Very practical and demanding :)

By HG

Mar 09, 2018

So helpful! Loved this class.

By Tanmay A

excellent

By Chew W Y

Oct 03, 2016

Positives:-

Good practice with the exciting world of script writing

Learnt how to use the scriptwriting software Celtx.com

Some aspects of the videos were helpful and instructive e.g. teaching us how to write a cold open

Areas of improvement:-

The beginner's course is entirely graded on peer reviews where one could get a range of divergent opinions on the same story, at times scathing and not constructive. Reviewers (who are purported to be beginners themselves) also at times give seemingly 'blind' grades without sharing constructive comments.

The questions that you are graded on e.g. Do you feel immersed in the story? Is the story unique? are highly subjective and solely dependent on the reviewer's fleeting preferences. It would help if the questions were more nuanced and focused on the structure and technical aspects of script writing e.g. format, grammar, three part structure

Lessons were too short and instructional (less than 10 mins of videos for each lesson) only for certain areas; it seemed like one of the major takeaways was to keep writing which is sensible but not helpful from a beginner's point of view.

Suggestions:-

To maintain some objectivity in grading: Mask the general comments section when a reviewer is giving his comments as negative comments from other peers could influence more negativity and vice versa.

Give some guidelines on reviewing to prevent the grading process from turning into trolling.

Would appreciate more helpful lessons with deeper content!