Back to Simulation Skills: This is Your Brain on the Future

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Simulation Skills: This is Your Brain on the Future by Institute for the Future

Do you want to learn how to simulate the future more creatively and more effectively? This course is for you. Humans are the only living creatures with the ability to think about and make plans for the long- term future. Even so, our brains don’t always make it easy. Over the past decade, scientists have discovered a number of neurological “road blocks” to effective futures thinking. These glitches in the brain make it harder for us to accurately predict how we’ll feel and what we’re likely to do, when a particular future arrives. They lead us to make faulty assumptions about which futures are likely or unlikely to happen. And they convince us we have less power to shape and influence the future than we actually do – leaving us stuck in the present. In this course, you’ll learn how to overcome these obstacles so you can think about the future more strategically and creatively. You’ll practice simulation techniques for “unsticking” the mind when it comes to seeing what’s possible in the future and accepting how things could be different. You’ll also learn how to lead others through “first-person future” simulations, which have been shown in scientific studies to improve strategy and increase motivation and hope for the future. Along the way, leading futurists from the Institute from the Future will share some of their most challenging forecasts to help you stretch your imagination and improve your simulation skills. This course will ensure that you can put all of your new forecasting skills to the best possible use, by helping you nudge your brain toward more effective ways of simulating and preparing for the future. Many thanks to the Enlight Foundation and the Enlight Collaborative, which provided a grant to support the creation of this course....

MD

reat course, with a lot of new Information for me, very well presented. I really enjoyed it, especially the parts presented by Dr. McGonigal and the assignments that were necessary.

LL

Aug 23, 2020

Awesome, awesome course! I really wish I could take this course with Prof. McGonigal at the IFTF, but this was just as great! Thank you for putting this on Coursera!

1 - 25 of 30 Reviews for Simulation Skills: This is Your Brain on the Future

By Nathan K

A perfect class for understanding how to simulate different futures, even if they might not be the desired ones. I totally recommend this if you're interested in simulating the future for yourself or your company/organization.

By Cristina S

Feb 04, 2020

A well-organized course. Along with the theory, it provides practical tools. Easy to follow and very interesting for those who want to improve their ability to innovate or recognize possible innovations.

By Juan R

I love the integration regarding Afrofuturism and critical thinking as well as alternative thinking skills.

By Valerie A

Mar 19, 2020

Each class in this specialty really opens your eyes. I love this program! Looking forward to class #4!

By Andrey S

Jul 22, 2020

I thank the author for a wonderful and exciting course! The best simulators of the future play with many possibilities. I've learned several powerful techniques for simulating four different versions of the future at the same time. The course develops imagination, strategic thinking and creativity. I think it is especially useful for those who are developing technological entrepreneurship and an innovative economy.

By Samantha J D

Aug 27, 2020

I absolutely LOVE this course and specialisation. I seriously want to work at IFTF! I have a (professional) girl-crush on Jane McGonigal. She is an exceptional teacher and inspirational role model as a Futurist. The course is so well designed and jam-packed with content for real skill development. THANK YOU, Jane and IFTF.

By Mihaela D

By Laura L

Aug 23, 2020

By Fernando Y

Jan 26, 2020

Excellent course. Fantastic videos and training materials. I am amazed at how well-produced this series is. Congratulations.

By Kamasani P

A new way to express you life with you own laws which are definitely helpful for people with you and around you.

By Srinivas P

Apr 14, 2020

Loved this course. The way the concepts were taught and the application explained was wonderful.

By Alexandre C

May 14, 2020

This course is a very detailed starting point for those who are interested in futures thinking.

By Vladimir A

Mar 27, 2020

Very essential course, especially now, in the critical times of Corona pandemic

By Kunal H

Jul 29, 2020

Excellent! The examples helped a lot to understand what Simulation Skills are.

By Joe L

Feb 02, 2020

Loved this course. It really unstuck a lot of thinking and creativity

By Laetitia R

Jun 11, 2020

Very interesting course. Many challenging tools and methods.

By Alice N

There were many great thinking tools in this course!

By Fernando

Feb 11, 2020

Make you think about your own personal future.

By Stijn

Apr 22, 2020

Perfect way to flex the brain!

By Nutthida P