Back to Improving your statistical inferences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Improving your statistical inferences by Eindhoven University of Technology

This course aims to help you to draw better statistical inferences from empirical research. First, we will discuss how to correctly interpret p-values, effect sizes, confidence intervals, Bayes Factors, and likelihood ratios, and how these statistics answer different questions you might be interested in. Then, you will learn how to design experiments where the false positive rate is controlled, and how to decide upon the sample size for your study, for example in order to achieve high statistical power. Subsequently, you will learn how to interpret evidence in the scientific literature given widespread publication bias, for example by learning about p-curve analysis. Finally, we will talk about how to do philosophy of science, theory construction, and cumulative science, including how to perform replication studies, why and how to pre-register your experiment, and how to share your results following Open Science principles. In practical, hands on assignments, you will learn how to simulate t-tests to learn which p-values you can expect, calculate likelihood ratio's and get an introduction the binomial Bayesian statistics, and learn about the positive predictive value which expresses the probability published research findings are true. We will experience the problems with optional stopping and learn how to prevent these problems by using sequential analyses. You will calculate effect sizes, see how confidence intervals work through simulations, and practice doing a-priori power analyses. Finally, you will learn how to examine whether the null hypothesis is true using equivalence testing and Bayesian statistics, and how to pre-register a study, and share your data on the Open Science Framework. All videos now have Chinese subtitles. More than 10.000 learners have enrolled so far!...

YK

Mar 02, 2017

Excellent course. The lecturer has written code snippets that let the students visualize the meaning and interrelationship of p-values confidence-intervals power effect-size bayesian-inference.

MR

Feb 22, 2018

Excellent course with a lot to learn. After 10 years in data analysis it provided me with great new insights and material to further improve my skills and understanding of data analysis

1 - 25 of 145 Reviews for Improving your statistical inferences

By Shan G

Jun 25, 2018

This courses uses R

By Pepe V C

Jun 01, 2019

The explanations from Daniel are awesome... I am understanding p values in a manner I never did before.

By Yonathan M P

Jun 08, 2019

Amazing course! Tons of insights and original thinking!

By Daniel A L

May 25, 2019

As an early career scientist, this course helped me get a solid foundation on statistical inferences. After years of accumulating vaguely-organised statistical concepts and procedures, now I am confident I have mastered the basics. Definitely the best course I've had in a long time!

By Julien B

Jul 21, 2019

Amazing course! Many thanks to Daniel Lakens for the time spent on this. It's really useful and I've learned so many things I will use to make better research.

By Nareg K

Nov 30, 2018

Great course!

By Dennis H

Dec 04, 2018

excellent refresher and expansion on frequentists stats (interpretation) and nice intro to bayesian stats. highly recommended.

By Romain R

Jan 10, 2019

Great overview of statistics and philosophy of science. Now I know what to tell my students when they ask me about p-values. At last !

By Richard M

Jan 22, 2019

Great course. A lot of topics introduced and explored. Well worth the time.

By Esthelle E

Jan 23, 2019

It was truly an awesome course! I learned a lot from the very well done videos, and well thought-through assignment. Would recommend to anyone trying to marry theory and application in ways that are actually helpful! BRAVO!

By Bruno V

Feb 19, 2019

Thank you daniel, very educational, I learned a lot

By Maureen M

Mar 21, 2019

The best MOOC in statistis ever!

By Peter K

Mar 01, 2019

Excellent course. I learned a lot about inference.

By Andrés C M

Mar 25, 2019

Excellent course. I improved my statistical knowledge and learned more about bayesian inference. Also, I learned something about how to pre-register a research and its benefits of doing so.

By Jason L

Dec 07, 2018

I really enjoyed the course and found it challenging at times. Its definitely worth the time and effort as my knowledge has improved dramatically. I have gained knowledge which will be really helpful in the future for correctly interpreting current literature as well as future reporting of data and building research ideas. I also appreciate all the effort put into this course and the tools provided which will be beneficial to me in the future. I have saved a lot of the webpages and tools for future reference and will definitely use them when beginning research as well as examining current literature. Excellent

By César A Y B

Feb 26, 2019

Practico sin hacer a un lado lo teorico, te dan un marco mucho mas amplio para la interpretacion y planteamiento de hipotesis

By Rizqy A Z

Jul 10, 2018

This course is immensely helpful to improve my area of expertise. This course also fills the gap of my previous formal training with current challenges in my career as a scientist

By John B

Jul 17, 2018

very well organised course and deepens understanding. Excellent resources provided also, e.g. books and papers.

By Yoel S

Sep 16, 2018

One of the best online courses I've ever taken! (completed it just now). Great lectures, great materials, great assignments. Links and information for anyone wanting to go deeper on any topic. Brilliant and engaing lecturer who provides the information with so much passion and interest that it "catches on" to you. I especially liked how actual studies are used as examples for learning/assignments. Bottom line - in my opinion it's a must do course to anyone who is interested in inferential statistics.

By Aishwar D

Aug 25, 2018

Thank you Daniel Lakens for creating and sharing this course in the way you have done. The content is very appropriate for any one anyone who is looking to work with Inferential Statistics. Many thanks

By Danielle L

Aug 29, 2018

An excellent, informative, organized course. Highly recommended!

By Benjamin F

Aug 16, 2018

Taking this course was the best decision of the start of my grad school. It has massively improved my ability to interpret other papers and plan my own experiments, as well as changing how I view psychology/science in general. Plus Daniel is a great teacher :)

By Oaní d S d C

Aug 17, 2018

The course taught me a lot about data analysis and the philosophy of science. By focusing on the processes associated to doing science (data collection, theory generation, statistical inference) the course prepares you to design studies and think better about any area of research (it`s all data after all). But not just that, it made me rethink various things I do in life. I have to say that while, and now after, doing it I started to take a more scientific and data driven approach to all problems in my life. 10/10

By Helén L

Aug 17, 2018

The course was great for refreshing my understanding of statistical inferences. Additionally, it provides an easy to understand introduction to bayesian thinking. The apps and websites, as well as the R-codes and excel-sheets provided alongside the assignments, and the lecture videos are of high quality and proof of a thorough and intesive preparation of the material. The material is very helpful, both for learners and for those teaching statistics to students. Plus, Professor Lakens lectures are entertaining and fun to watch.

I really enjoyed the course and have already recommended it to my department.

By Jose J P N

Oct 09, 2018

A great course to learn or refresh theoretical concepts behind statistical inferences. There is also a lot of hands-on material and additional content. I think I will come back to the videos and slides when I want to refresh some concepts.