Back to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in improving their English skills in the sciences. In this course, you will explore some of the most innovative areas of scientific study, while expanding your vocabulary and the language skills needed to share scientific information within your community. In unit 1, you will learn how to preview texts and practice some of the language used to make comparisons when talking about global warming and climate change. In unit 2, you will examine the chemistry of climate change and the language of cause and effect. In Unit 3, you will learn about some of the impacts of Climate Change and the language used to describe these effects. In Unit 4, you will learn reading strategies that can help you explore the science behind some new energy systems. In the final unit, you will investigate practical advances in Nanotechnology that help slow down climate change, while developing your own research skills in English. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

UU

Apr 08, 2018

Great efforts are done to design the course.It was really effective and informative course.It was amazing to know about different renewable resources and technologies discussed in the course.

MA

Jul 20, 2018

A very fruitful course in knowledge and language.\n\nI also benefit from the style you use on your videos .\n\nI use some sites such as quizlet.\n\nI got 92.4 % . Thank you very much.

1 - 25 of 288 Reviews for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

By evens d

Apr 28, 2019

I find the course to be valuable. Video lectures were engaging and very good quality. Practice examples and quizzes were pointed and relevant. The consequence of all this is that I learned a great deal about global warming and gained valuable insights about what we can, and should do to curb some of it's negative impacts. Otherwise, the consequences of inaction is far too great.

By Liu R

May 21, 2019

I've not used MOOC for a long time as well as English, so I took this course as my comeback bufferin. It fulfilled my purpose as the the English taught here is clear and without stress (you can speed up the video whenever you want), to add to that it taught me a lot of knowledge about climate change and scientific findings new to me. The citing skills and reference standards are things I'd always wanted to learn. All in all, it's of great help to me.

By sandipkunwar

May 09, 2019

good

By Sakar C

May 09, 2019

Super

By yuri m p c

May 01, 2019

very useful, for life, for job, for all

By Aness N

Apr 15, 2019

I have learned a lot about climate change and improved my English

By Priyanka F P

Apr 14, 2019

Excellent technical information!

By Nguyễn P

Apr 12, 2019

This is a great course, will asked my family member to enroll

By Gaurav M

Mar 29, 2019

not received my certificate

By gowtham

Apr 09, 2019

Well constructed course for beginners.

By Deepak U

Mar 25, 2019

It was good course. Great concepts of emerging science. Reading and Writing Scientific literature was impressive.

By QUAN M N

Jan 06, 2019

I would like to express my gratitude to Coursera and Penn University that give me useful lessons to improve my learning skills and upgrade more knowledge in the fields for my future.

By Axi

Dec 19, 2018

I am very grateful to the teachers Alyssa Swanson and Jack Sullivan for this excellent course!

All the material presented in the course is the highest quality, the explanations are clear and understandable, all videos are provided with a review of learning the material, all the tasks are perfectly prepared. In addition, most importantly - the relevance and importance of materials and the positive attitude of teachers! Made cool! Thank you very march.

By Learnerk

Dec 22, 2018

It is a really good course for me. It will help me to know in the field of STEM.

By Biligtsan B

Dec 10, 2018

good

By Dennis Q H

Dec 23, 2018

I am so pleased with this course. I have learned a lot. Thank you very much :)

By Solongo T

Dec 10, 2018

interesting and very understandable

By ALLENETTE M B C

Dec 11, 2018

knowledgeable and refreshing course. I am learning insights on how to help lessen the global warming.

By jorge a d c

Dec 12, 2018

muy buen curso

By George P

Dec 26, 2018

It is very easy to understand and learn and it is very enjoyable with many quizzes and videos and readings.

By Yati S

Feb 02, 2019

I've got so many knowledge from this course.

By Tran N H N

Jan 26, 2019

this is not only useful for non English-speaking country, but this also provide a supportive English-learning environment.

By Trần N T

Nov 20, 2018

Thanks a lot the author.

By S S J E C

Nov 27, 2018

Useful course... Thank you Coursera

By Whegang Y S

Nov 11, 2018

I really enjoyed the course. All steps including videos and practice readings were useful. I learned the impact of climate change and how human could contribute in reducing the release of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. I learned great on nanotechnology and how scientists are involved in testing new materials to increase the renewable energy system. And how new discoveries will change the human life across the world. Thank you!