Back to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." If you want to get a Coursera Verified Certificate for free, please fill out the Financial Aid form. This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in improving their English skills in the sciences. In this course, you will explore some of the most innovative areas of scientific study, while expanding your vocabulary and the language skills needed to share scientific information within your community. In unit 1, you will learn how to preview texts and practice some of the language used to make comparisons when talking about global warming and climate change. In unit 2, you will examine the chemistry of climate change and the language of cause and effect. In Unit 3, you will learn about some of the impacts of Climate Change and the language used to describe these effects. In Unit 4, you will learn reading strategies that can help you explore the science behind some new energy systems. In the final unit, you will investigate practical advances in Nanotechnology that help slow down climate change, while developing your own research skills in English. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license. Supplemental reading materials were provided by Newsela, which publishes daily news articles at a level that's just right for each English language learner....

EC
Sep 25, 2020

I would like to take this opportunity to express my appreciation to our instructors, Mr Jack and Ms Alyssa for an enjoyable course on STEM!\n\nIt was a very good learning experience!\n\nThank you!

DR
Jul 5, 2017

Great course! You can learn about modal verbs, intensifiers, present progressive and much more very easily. And is important too to know the methods and techniques for write a scientific article.

476 - 500 of 552 Reviews for English for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics

By Shamil A

Jul 6, 2017

Great

By Mohammed m

Aug 1, 2020

GOOD

By Jesus G G S

May 7, 2020

By Riya R

Sep 6, 2019

By Basil S

Jul 7, 2019

good

By Sampurna b

May 22, 2019

good

By Samyog C

Feb 28, 2019

good

By Biligtsan B

Dec 9, 2018

good

By Abdulaziz k m

Jun 9, 2017

good

By Kyoung H Y

Mar 3, 2019

Jun 26, 2017

E

By F i f a

Mar 30, 2020

I need financial aid because I am from Egypt and my income cannot pay for this course. Now I do not have a job to pay for it, because I am still student. And I cannot find a job so that I can cover courses fees as I am a medical student and it is hard to study medicine while working. My father income cannot either pay for it. He is old and retired now. So the income of my father can only cover my academic studies in college. I always have the desire and ambition to improve my skills but money is always my problem but when I have heard about online courses and especially coursera and about the financial aid that coursera provides for people cannot pay like me , I restored my hope and dream about improving myself again . So I need your help by giving me financial aid. And I hope that you give me the chance. And finally I really thank you

By Guilherme S d M

Aug 8, 2020

Very good course. It's amazing how they talk about a specific topic (climate change), but approaches a lot of areas of sciences, from hydrology to nanotechnology . It's a course that you'll definitely learn new words and be more aware of a subject of international concern. I will drop one star just because the certificate doesn't have the amount of course hours, which makes it harder to be recognized.

By lainelvidalp@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2017

This was a marvelous course, it's neccesary to say the way that they use to teach is really good, becouse you can learn about technology and science and at the same tiem you can inprove your grammar. The teachers are really understanble in fonetic and the explanation way. I feel so previligy have the oportunity to took part in this course.

By Бакыт Э

Oct 6, 2020

I started this course spontaneously when i have visited this resource for the first time. And i notice that cource involve students to study seriously. At least more than i predicted. Englush for STEM course was interesting and topic was too interesting and relevent. I enjoy it. And it was good introduction for resource Coursera at all.

By Eugen F

May 5, 2020

I wish there were more stuff related to englisch language instead of climate change problems. It might be helpful for many to add such things like graph description or equations, physic and chemistry experiments description were also good. Anyway, thank Coursera for the free course. It will fit good for the beginners.

By Carol A M L

Apr 9, 2020

It was an interesting course, I just don't give it 5 stars because I would have liked to have learn about more topics relate with science and engineering, but the course was more focus in environment and renewable energy. Thank you.