Back to The Business of Product Management I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Business of Product Management I by Advancing Women in Tech

Sponsored by AMAZON WEB SERVICES (AWS). Learn real-world PM lessons from Amazon, Intuit, Procter and Gamble, Barnes and Noble, Whole Foods, Google, Mint Mobile, Juicero, Twitter, Tesla, Dropbox, Eventbrite, Blue, Samson, Coffee Meets Bagel, Mixpanel, and more! Featuring: * NANCY WANG, Head of Data Protection Services, Amazon Web Services; Founder and CEO, Advancing Women in Product * WAYNE DUSO, Vice President for Edge Computing, File Services, and Data Services, Amazon Web Services * ARUM KANG, Co-Founder & CEO, Coffee Meets Bagel * AMIR MOVAFAGHI, CEO, Mixpanel; former Global Head of Business of Operations, Twitter....

RR

Dec 2, 2020

Fantastic course. I really enjoyed the interviews with industry experts. They were extremely insightful. The exercises and assignments were super useful and the templates made it easy to get started.

Apr 4, 2021

I really enjoyed this course because it was a good balance between the lectures and assignments. Doing the assignments not only helped me increase my confidence but also helped me expand my thinking.

226 - 250 of 264 Reviews for The Business of Product Management I

By Sabine B

Mar 27, 2022

Great course as an intro to PM. Interesting industry interviews. Likeable instructor. Unfortunately the instructor clearly reads a script most of the time and sometimes it feels very mechanical and doesn't flow as nicely.

By Wendy

Jan 2, 2021

Overall, great PM class to take for beginners. Learned a lot from watching the videos and doing the assignments. Would love to learn and hear more about how people from a non-tech background transitioned into PM roles.

By Adete T

Sep 17, 2021

Great content, The platform delivery was not seamless with in-video quizzes popping up before the quiz topics were discussed. Also the assignment submission can be much easier if attachments can be submitted. Thanks.

By Guil E

Mar 4, 2021

In general a good course for basic concepts. I'd put a little more time in explaining some of the terminology throughout the course. Overall good context and good real world examples.

By Andrew F

Jun 22, 2022

The content of the course was concise and to the point, and I did learn a great deal. One thing I would say is the test questions need to be more concise and on topic.

By Frederik R

Sep 17, 2021

The workflow of the docs does not work well with coursera maybe add a feature where one can submit a link "optional".

By Bharatha G

Jun 23, 2021

This course content is highly valuable for Product specialists who are targeting to be Product owners in a day.

By Anastasya S

Dec 28, 2021

I really like how this course covers the basic tools and show real-work of a Product Manager in a tech company

By Molly D

Jun 17, 2021

Great overview, but looking forward to part II. I would like to learn more nuts and bolts of how to be a PM.

By Chavan D B 2

Sep 14, 2021

This course is very insight full for a early product manager or for the one who wants to become one.

By Holly F

Jan 19, 2021

Very good introduction overall. Only feedback would be to work on improving quiz questions.

By CM F

Apr 16, 2022

A practical, hands-on-approach, for anyone looking to get stafrted in Product Management.

By Anita M

Apr 27, 2022

I​ believe this course gave me a good insight into the foundation of a product manager.

By Jaime B

Mar 31, 2021

When submitting assignments it takes too long to receive the reviews from your peers.

By Vũ D

Feb 11, 2022

Very good course. There will be many weekly exercises for you to do and practice

By Alex X R

May 16, 2022

V​ery great build up course from easy to more complicated topics about product!

By brittany r t

Jun 15, 2021

The review quizzes need to be written better but the content overall was good.

By Daryn C

Jun 12, 2022

Great course would have liked to have more interactive lessons .

By Uwa I

Oct 8, 2021

The course made me work. Very Real

By Lauren A

Feb 22, 2022

T​he instructor did a good job of explaining Amazon's approach to product management and sharing the tools and the rigorous process Amazon uses to evaluate new business opportunities. I came away with the information I hoped to get out of the course, including a rigorous framework with which to evaluate product opportunities.

With that said, the instruction left a lot to be desired. I'll highlight two areas that could be improved, although there are more. First is the instruction format. Most of the instruction is verbal, meaning that there are few visuals. The instructor is a talking head, reading from a script. It's difficult to process that much verbal information and remain focused on the content.

Second is the lack of context. The instructor is not good at setting context or explaining concepts at a high level before diving into details and using lots of jargon. What's the goal of what we're learning? Why are we doing it in the first place? For those who don't know the jargon, stop and explain it. And for those whose first language is not English, slow down.

For example, for the TAM/SAM/SOM exercise , the instructor gave a very short definition of each one without explaining why they're important. When it came time to explain our homework, she read from a template she'd put together of TAM/SAM/SOM calculations, including some assumptions that weren't even well defined in the analysis - she didn't say why she was using these numbers or how she'd arrived at them. When I went to grade other students' answers it was clear many did not fully understand the exercise. They were copying her template and changing the numbers without understanding the goal.

The course was worthwhile for me, but I definitely left frustrated by the format and the teaching.

By Erin E

Jun 27, 2021

The material presented is good and I found it to be great at building those Product Management fundamentals.

Areas that could be improved though:

1. Presentation material could be better aligned with Adult Learning methodologies in mind. Example, better slides and handouts for more visual learners. The section on TAM, SAM and SOM would have been better if the slides not only showed the circles, but also called out the definition, how it is calculated etc.

2. Less focus on split screen and more focus on the material presented. There were times it was hard to see the demo materials because it was so small on the screen due to split screen. For example the section on Competitive Analysis, the spreadsheet was really small on the screen and it made it difficult to follow along.

3. Many times there are assumptions made that learns know companies listed or discussed. Not all learners come from the SFO area or even the tech space. If you are going to use a company in a quiz question, make sure the learner knows what the company is first.

By Smitha K

Mar 8, 2022

I love the course content, its very well laid out but the execution of it on coursera is a bit of a let down. Having taken other courses on coursera like Google project management, I see how well the whole Assignments and peer grading system can be set up, that is the most frustruating part about this course. I also want to add that throughout the course the expectation is I need to review peer submissions to complete the course but there's no other submissions in 4 days.

I can see how this course can actually help, it's helped me get back into the product manager mindset, I really hope the course content on coursera is streamlined and structured better so more individuals can take it and be benefited.

By Rini P

Jan 1, 2021

I enjoy the basic principles of product being explained and supported by insightful interview of some people.

the thing i less enjoy is related to many references is taken from american startup/product. Because I come from Indonesia, and the ecosystem in Asia, especially South East Asia is very different here, especially the problem we are facing about the user is mostly about lack of digital literacy. Meanwhile in the West country, mostly of the user is have good digital literacy.

By Sergei T

Mar 7, 2022

Pros: new, necessary and interesting knowledge.

Cons: information is very poorly structured, tests are very unevenly distributed (there are no tests at all in the first week, and five at once in the second), a lot of unnecessary and side from the “I like to talk” series. I got the knowledge - thanks, but I will not take the continuation.

By Janna B

Aug 22, 2021

Having no business background this course was interesting and I learned a lot about product management. There was a good amount of information and vocabulary that I had to look up though. I would have preferred to take a general business class before taking this one.