Back to Translation in Practice

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Translation in Practice by Nanjing University

4.3

This course offers you basic but valuable techniques used by a good translator in the translation between English and Chinese. We’ll discuss what is translation, what is good translation, and learn about how to produce good translations. All the examples used in this course are taken from the course instructor's own translations of various genres and topics of writing. These examples are elaborated on to show you how to understand the idea, style and tone of the writer, the historical and cultural context of the writing, as well as the explicit and implied meanings of words, the grammatical structures of sentences, and the logic of sentences and paragraphs in order to achieve faithfulness, expressiveness, and elegance in the translation. After completing this course, you will know what makes a qualified professional translator and acquire the abilities and skills that such a translator needs...

VP

Jun 17, 2019

The lecturer was very knowledgeable and skilful. The course content was very well planned and managed. On the overall, I am very happy to have participated in this course. Thanks!

DD

Feb 10, 2019

Very high quality materials. Easy to understand. Helpful to know Chinese,however.

1 - 12 of 12 Reviews for Translation in Practice

By Kristen S

Feb 18, 2018

This class was extremely informative and very comprehensive. I really gained a lot of practical knowledge about translation techniques that I’m sure I will be able to put into practice in the future. My biggest complaint about this course is that it is listed as a beginners course and requires only 3-5 hours per week of study. This is only true if you are fluent in both English and Chinese and well read with a large vocabulary in both languages. I have been studying Mandarin for over four years and have learned to an intermediate level, yet some weeks I had to spend 30 or more hours per week on assignments. One more area that could be improved are the content of the assignments. Some of them were very hard to understand even in our mother tongue and were taken out of context. A translator would always have the context of what they are translating and would likely have access to the entire work. So, in this regard translation in the real world may actually be easier than this course!

By Victor P

Sep 17, 2018

我希望能和

By Qianhui

Jul 27, 2019

I really like how the course is structured. Also, it gives a lot of basics of translations. However, I do feel there isn't enough feedback from teacher and peers. I completed 2 weeks' assignment, but barely received feedback, which somewhat discouraged me. Good course for beginners, won't recommend for those who aim to improve the skills.

By A. E H

Jun 25, 2019

Very useful tips for translating. I learnt a lot however, Ii was a shame that the activities were only in Chinese. Thank you! :)

By Arrigo L

Jan 16, 2019

I can't believe that courses like these come free of charge. This is seriously valuable for someone like me - a freelancer who doesn't currently have the opportunity to have academic education. Thank you so much!

By Lorena P

Apr 05, 2018

Great Course!!

By Jerry Y

Apr 02, 2018

I think this online course is very interesting to me. And it open a door for me to learn how to translate.

By Joao F

May 16, 2018

I enjoyed these lectures, plus the teacher, she is so intelligent with a lot of exp.

By Jane L

Apr 23, 2019

Thanks to those who reviewed my assignments.

Many thanks to the instructor who prepared this wonderful course for us.

By Mel

Jun 27, 2018

In-depth and explained in detail. Could be even better if materials in a more diverse format, e.g. readings, photos, tables, are provided.