Back to Understanding User Needs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding User Needs by University of Michigan

Designing effective interactive systems requires understanding the needs and capabilities of the people who will be using them. In this UX course we will focus on how to interact with users (or potential users) to understand what they need, what they currently do, what they love and hate, and examine human capabilities and behavior as they relate to UX design. Learners will be introduced to numerous techniques to gather data from and about users. This course is part of the User Experience (UX) Research and Design specialization offered on Coursera. What you'll learn: Find out what user needs assessments are, what qualitative research is, and how the two are related. Learn an end-to-end methodology for qualitative research that is suited for understanding user needs. The methodology includes knowledge of semi-structured interviews, in-situ observation, and affinity walls. Be exposed to good practices for conducting semi-structured interviews, in-situ observation, and affinity walls. Gain some experience with semi-structured interviews, in-situ observations, and affinity walls....

CA

Mar 08, 2019

A rewarding experience because I have been able to learn very valuable information. It is an excellent course. It has helped me in the personal and professional field. Thank you.

VV

May 03, 2020

The structure of the course was really good. The hands-on activity at every stage let us understand the ideas provided during the course. Overall, it a great learning experience!

1 - 25 of 39 Reviews for Understanding User Needs

By Amber W

Apr 03, 2019

Learned a lot about user research, user needs assessment, interviewing, data extraction. It was more challenging than the first course in the specialization. I’ll definitely need to continue learning about this topic. Great instructor and lectures.

By Anelia S

Feb 13, 2019

Although it's quite intensive, the course is super important for anybody who wants to get better in this area of knowledge. 100% Recommendable.

By Ari R

Apr 21, 2019

The topic was interesting and I learnt a lot of new things. i wish that it was designed to be a little more exciting and engaging.

By A C

Oct 24, 2019

This was a great class. I think the instructor is very thorough, and the assignments give you a great hands-on opportunity to practice one of the most popular methodologies for gathering user needs data. Furthermore, I appreciated the final assignment, where we were asked to condense the data further into a small report and propose design solutions from the information we compiled.

If you put in the work for this course, I do think you will gain a valuable skill from it. I recommend!

By Iris L

Dec 19, 2019

The lectures are very interesting. I learnt a lot from this course. The project is quite like a joke for me. It's so hard for me find two people who are not my friends or relatives but be willing to spend one hour interview with me. These days, I would want $20 gift card to do such thing for a stranger! Anyways, I did gain hands-on experience with the Affinity Wall.

By Lee M

Feb 14, 2020

Challenging, but thoroughly rewarding. Be prepared to put more effort into this course than many others. You'll be expected to actually engage with others to be able to complete most of the assignments so make sure you have time available.

By Juangui J

Jan 10, 2019

This was an excellent course. The professor is very good and the assignments are well balanced and practical. I think that I learned very useful skills that I already have put in practice in my day to day work as a frontend developer.

By Daria M

Oct 29, 2019

I would really recommend this course if you are new in this field and wants to try how to be a UX researcher and try to conduct a real interview. The course designed to motivate you and it really works.

By Vankadaru V S V

May 03, 2020

By Carlos J B A

Mar 08, 2019

By Vaisali K K

It was a very engaging course. I honed my interviewing and observation skills through this course and its assignments. I highly recommend it.

By Laxmi M

A very good course in building the idea to a person regarding how the process of the building an product should go starting from user needs .

By Jessica C

Oct 29, 2019

Interesting lectures and fun projects. I feel I learned a lot of useful info about conducting preliminary UX research with users.

By Ili S

Apr 06, 2020

I absolutely recommend this course. Brilliant professor and excellent exercises, the right mixture between theory and practice!

By William S

Jul 17, 2019

I really like this lecturer, he gives lots of good examples and analogies for the principles taught in this course. Well done.

By Bernadette A M

Feb 17, 2020

Excellent course. I really learned a lot about evaluating UX design through information acquired by interviewing users.

By Jennifer G

Apr 07, 2020

Great class; really learned about interviewing and qualitative research! Great instructor and helpful videos.

By Juan C C M

Jan 24, 2020

Loved this course. I applied the assessment activities directly on my work projects and they really worked.

By Maria S

Feb 29, 2020

Very good introductory course on semi-structured interviews. observations and analysis of qualitative data

By Yixin Z

Oct 16, 2019

good course with great instructor and assignments to learn user reaserch

By Yoseph T

Apr 20, 2020

I really like the instructor and the course was well structured.

By Christopher S

Apr 06, 2020

A lot of work, but a valuable learning experience.

By Irma M T

Aug 27, 2019

I learn value skills to apply in the design field.

By xiaomei

Jan 16, 2020

I really like the example of the professor gave.

By Balu K

Nov 10, 2019

Thank you very much for creating this course .