Back to Introduction to User Experience Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to User Experience Design by Georgia Institute of Technology

The focus of this course is to introduce the learner to User Experience (UX) Design User Experience design is design that is user centered. The goal is to design artifacts that allow the users to meet their needs in the most effective efficient and satisfying manner. The course introduces the novice to a cycle of discovery and evaluation and a set of techniques that meet the user's needs. This course is geared toward the novice. It is for learners that have heard about "user experience" or "user interface" design but don't really know much about these disciplines. The course mantra is that “Design is a systematic and data driven process.” Design is systematic because it is based on a set of techniques and also on a cycle of discovery. In this course the learner is introduced to the four step user interface design cycle. Along the way learners are exposed to a set of techniques to gather information about a) what the user needs b)how to design and model interfaces based on these and then how to evaluate the design to ascertain that the user's goals are met. These techniques are tools that are used in a standardized manner and give us the data we use in our design. This means that anyone (regardless of their current training) that is willing to learn these techniques and follow the proposed cycle can be a UX designer!...

AO
Oct 22, 2017

The best introduction classes, gives an overall idea about UI/UX. Grateful for the efforts taken by the Georgia Tech and Coursera. Looking forward to see more courses related to my career. Thank you.

MC
Sep 25, 2016

This is an insightful introductory course to User Experience Design. While it is just an introduction, the lessons and the examples provided were comprehensive, leaving you with a thirst for more.

26 - 50 of 1,167 Reviews for Introduction to User Experience Design

By Jungmin C

Feb 11, 2019

Good quality of lectures and easy to understand them. However, there are some spelling errors and repetitive questions in the quiz.

By Serina D F

Feb 3, 2021

Overall a good introduction to User Experience Design, if a bit dry. The formatting and wording of some of the quiz questions were very confusing at times, with many spelling and grammatical errors. The pop-ups encouraging me to "Keep Learning to reach your goals!" were very irritating (not to mention redundant) mid-video lesson, but I don't know if that was the fault of the course or Coursera.

By Christina J

Jan 9, 2021

It does have information you can learn but really boring. It's nice that it teaches you the concepts step by step though.

By Lasse K

Jul 27, 2020

Very "academic". Lack of real examples and updated materials (one link was even broken).

By Sarah W

Feb 2, 2021

Imagine a history class where the lecture defines terms such as treaty, guerrilla tactics, muck racking, constitution but doesn’t tell you the events in history where these things actually happened. That’s what this class feels like.

I guess this class had good information but the format and presentation felt insanely impersonal and robotic.

First, the presentation was very sterile and, not gonna lie, less aesthetic than presentations from my engineering company. Not what I want to see from a course about creating good user experiences. And while the format is usable and efficient, it doesn’t appeal to me, the user, emotively and lacks the experience part of user experience.

Second, the whole thing feels like it is structured in a robotic protocol. It’s a lot of word, definition, word, definition, word, definition. There were only two 2 examples mentioned after 2 hours of content so it doesn’t feel like this is connected to real life activities. It’s all the same white background with black text of definition after definition. One of the lines repeated in every video is “users use interfaces to accomplish tasks” and remains that bland for all new content introduced.

Third, I’m through week 2 and I have no sense of what it is like to be a UX Designer and there has been 0 competence development. Sure, I have a list of activities that a UX Designer will perform but no clue or confidence on how to go about doing it, especially as a UX Designer.

It essentially goes like this: You need to collect user information. Great. To do this, prepare your discussion and dress professionally. Take notes. A survey can be done online, by walking up to people, or by phone. ????? Blanket statements like these give me absolutely no insight on how to do the job.

I get that it’s important to learn the lingo and understand the lexicon but I feel like there really should be some connection to tangible examples. Show me some example interviews, explain the goal, the questions, the result. I get that qualitative data can be found from taking notes on a discussion. But what do the notes look like? Am I asking them what their favorite birthday present was growing up? Please give me some direction on what a UX Designer will be doing.

I quit the course when they started defining range, median, and mode which I learned in second grade.

By Sara C

Jun 26, 2018

Very unsatisfied with this course. I wasnt able to build anything for my portfolio and I payed $50 for nothing. I was told I would get a certificate for paying $50 otherwise the course was free. Will not be using coursera again. I basically got my money stolen and all I got out of it was learning the difference between low fidelity and high fidelity prototypes. If I could give zero stars I would.

By Samruddhi S

Jun 17, 2021

I feel like the 5 weeks material could be easily summed into a week. Most of the concepts taught were not in depth, nor were there any assignments with practical work related to UI given. I feel like i have only learnt basic definitions of terms.

By Franco A G C

May 12, 2021

This course is shallow, the presented format was not the best, the content was very vague and pretty much any generic definition on wikipedia , not practical, and even the interface was bad.

By MOLLA N S

May 15, 2020

She could add pictures of examples. Slide reading is not a good way of teaching I think. And when it's a design related course it will be horrible if you teach only by reading slides.

By Satya R A

Apr 5, 2018

Hardly any content. I don't see the point of the course.

By Lovi R G

Apr 10, 2021

Not aptly designed course.

By Roshchin I A

Aug 5, 2020

very bad do not recomend

By Monserrat G

Dec 4, 2020

Dr. Arriaga excels in structuring the course materials in a consistent and obvious manner. Her lectures are one of the more straightforward and well-structured introductory UX courses offered here. Her strengths and weaknesses are also seemingly reflected in the depth of materials and topics covered - she excels in the research aspect of UX (data gathering, types of data, and possibly analyses) but seems to mull over the design aspect of UX (lack of material, shorter lectures, and lack of assignments). Her Week 2 and Week 5 materials are very strong but her lectures related to design are a little lackluster. If anyone is looking to glean insight into the research aspect of UX, this will be an excellent introductory course. Shortcomings aside, I was very happy with the rigidity and consistency of her lectures and was satisfied with the course.

By Divyanga G

Feb 26, 2019

I am in the creative field, an architect and an urban planner. User interface design did not just help me understand the importance in a computer enhanced user interface but also in developing better solutions in every interface that a user come across. I personally loved this beginner course and the reading materials that was shared through this course. I look forward to learn more in the upcoming advanced sessions. Professor Dr. Rosa I. Arriaga did an excellent job in explaining UX design terms in the most simplest way to understand.

Designing cannot be ignored as a separate field, while it is a part of even the tiniest task we carry out. Every small task involves a user experience to it. Hence, I would definitely recommend this course anyone who has an eye for design.

By William C

Feb 28, 2019

This course was exactly as described. It provided a good overview of an approach to User Experience Design and helped to familiarize the student with relevant terminology. The time commitment was minimal (I think the estimates provided are on the high-end for time required), however, there was a lot of information provided for someone new to the area of study. After taking this course, I would an expect an individual would have a good idea as to whether they wished to pursue a more in depth study of the topics presented. Key points were reiterated throughout, the video presentations were well done and the quizzes were just challenging enough to ensure you paid attention.

By Rachel L

Sep 25, 2020

I liked the professor a lot and she is enthusiastic about this topic. I like how the course took a definition/model of design and then broke it down, with each week focused on a part of the design process. There are lots of links to additional information, some of which are quite good.

The information is covered very quickly and it would be nice to have it presented a little more slowly with examples to illustrate the concepts. The final week, the evaluation phase, could have been longer.

I could see how this sort of course would be great with an actual design project. For an intro to the topic, it was interesting and informative.

By Maria P

Apr 27, 2021

This course offers an overview of the 4 steps of Interaction Design. I really liked it! The concepts are easy to understand and there are concrete examples, especially in the first chapter, that one could easily picture for future projects. While I was doing the course, I read Interaction Design by Helen Sharp and I consider it a good exercise to go in deep with the theory that Dr. Arriaga gives. However, if you're looking to learn more detailed concepts like research techniques, Fogg behaviour grid or the parts of a wireframe, I highly recommend you take an advanced course.

By Yana V

Aug 29, 2017

Dr. Rosa Arriaga is super arcitulate teacher!! (And super stylish:) Thank you so much! Especially for repeating key points several times - that was very useful teaching technique. I was a complete novice in the UX field and I understood everything from the course easily! Maybe it was because I have a degree in Psychology and some phases of UX are very similar to concepts of experimental Psychology.

The amount of information is rather small so it is indeed only an introduction to the field so that you can understand what UX design is all about in general.

By Shivani B

It is a good course for anybody starting with UX Design or wants to brush up their knowledge after having worked on it ( as an involvement).

For somebody seeking a base(strong concepts hold) value from this course, will reap tremendous benefits from the quizzes as well. As they are designed to be, both to brain exercising and encourages an ability to develop a greater understanding of UX Design.

Best Part: It embeds nicely and firmly into your heads if you grab the basic concept of her teachings.

By David S

Feb 4, 2021

Excellent, albeit very technical overview of UX Design. A lot of the information was conceptional, don't expect to learn how to actually go about developing an app wireframe or website prototype, but this course will help you better understand important principles of UXD. I knew next to nothing about UXD, but now I feel more confident in how I will go about my web design work. If you are like the pre-course me, you will find this information useful.

Overall, I found this course very helpful!

By Anastasia K

Jul 14, 2020

That was my first course on Coursera, and I must say that was a very good start that gave me the motivation to continue studying online.

The program of the course is well structured and gives a clear understanding of what UX-design is. You can't land your first job in the field right after completing the course but you'll get the directions in which you can develop your skills and knowledge.

I highly recommend this introductory course for everyone who is thinking about a career change.

By Jason H

Jun 30, 2019

really enjoyed this introductory course. Quizzes were relatively easy and straightforward and for the most part avoided the "gotcha" method. They were mean to make sure you understood the broad concept. Enjoyed the professor's speaking style. would've enjoyed more real world examples such as Norman's Door in the intro (maybe a picture of the door he referenced and why its design was poor). but overall a good intro and has me interested in learning more about CX and UX.

By Jeremia M

Oct 3, 2016

This course was very real, current and useful in my life. The content was well structured & delivered exceptionally well. I liked the fact that it was both theoretically robust and practically inclined, the examples utilised where relatable and easy to follow. I also appreciated the passion is the delivery of the course by the lecturer, her enthusiasm made watching all the videos worthwhile. Thank you for this introduction- it made a significant difference in my life

By umer B

Jul 3, 2017

This is my first attempt to do any online certification and I was really confused before starting this course but after completing my certification. I must say it was totally worth it. I have learned about lots of new tools which I previously did not know about and also learned lots of new techniques to apply on making a new system. I will definitely do more certifications in this field to learn about more new skills.

By Alexey K

May 14, 2020

Great course and a very skillful instructor! Content is well presented, concise and on-point while the teacher is regularly reviewing the goals of the design and connects them with each of the topics, creating a very strong sense of coherence. The content itself gave me a very solid understanding of what User Experience is about and definitely gave me confidence to become a better designer in all things related.