Back to Foundations of Virtual Instruction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Foundations of Virtual Instruction by University of California, Irvine

4.3

This course provides teachers with the foundation for understanding the movement towards virtual instruction. It introduces fundamental knowledge needed by teachers to succeed in a technology-dependent, instructional environment. You will explore the history of online learning and understand how a variety of delivery models are evolving in the K-12 environment, ranging from completely online to hybrid or blended classrooms. We will discuss how the programs work and who they serve, addressing some basics about equity issues, access and school funding, as well as ethical and legal issues that support and challenge the models. Upon completion of the course, you will understand what it takes to transition from teaching in the classroom to providing virtual instruction. Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Describe the history of online learning models 2. Identify current virtual instruction models and who offers them 3. Explain how virtual instruction models have evolved and why 4. Describe common features of synchronous and asynchronous technologies 5. Discuss basic ethical and legal issues faced by schools...

JH

Jan 19, 2018

Excepcional, debido a que toda la secuencia de la aplicación y el desarrollo de la educación virtual, impregna los profesores y estudiantes en un universo de excitación y deseo de aprender. Gracias

KR

Jun 28, 2020

This Foundation of Virtual Instruction online course provide me the flexibility to learned on my own schedule. I learned a lot from this Foundation of Virtual Instruction course.

1 - 25 of 155 Reviews for Foundations of Virtual Instruction

By Kirsten M

Oct 02, 2016

It is ironic that a course about virtual instruction is one of the worst online courses I have taken. The content was good, if a little outdated (hence the two stars vs only one), but the course design and delivery were lacking.

The videos were excruciating for visual learners (or really any non-auditory learners). The video for Week 2, Lesson 2, for example, had a single static image on the screen for eleven minutes. Words were added to the image during that time, but all in all there were 26 words of text on the slide. Really?!? ELEVEN MINUTES. 26 WORDS. Give me a transcript or make it an audio file. Don't keep me chained to my laptop watching a static image for ELEVEN MINUTES!

The instructor droned and was clearly reading from a script. She did not even use the video to highlight key terms or spotlight key references. Whenever she mentioned a reference I wanted to look at, I had to either hope it was on the course reference page (many of them weren't there) or try to figure out how to spell the author's name based on her pronunciation of it. It was just really, really hard to get through.

The tests were also poorly designed. What states do x y or z. Who cares? I don't live in those states. Which online school has this policy? Again who cares? Maybe a question about why states/schools have different approaches or how outcomes differ between states/schools, but memorizing a laundry list of which state or school has which policies and practices is useless and did not advance the learning objectives in any way.

By Robin O

Mar 31, 2020

I'm learning this from Canada. It would be nice if some of the content was more general and not so US-specific.

Also, I found the testing methods frustrating. It required very specific details that weren't necessary for understanding the material.

Some of the quiz questions do not measure what I know, especially when the question is a "choose all that apply" question. Sometimes I know I got some of the options and maybe missed one, but the question marks it completely wrong. Those types of questions are difficult to answer. They shouldn't be used or should be adapted to a different weight in the grading system.

By Vaiva C

Jun 05, 2016

A paradox that a course about virtual instruction is the worst course I've done on Coursera. I am on a verge of quitting it. 1. Despite lots of good information, there is no effort to present it in an interesting and engaging way. 2. Virtual educators say that the students should interact with the platform every 3-4 minutes and yet they give you 15 min video to listen to and look at the same picture. 3. No forums available but the notice about forums interrupts all the videos.

By Muhammad S A

May 12, 2020

The course Foundations of Virtual Instruction is very significant and basic course for me, and I am glad to complete this assignment successfully.

By Catherine B

Feb 23, 2019

This helped me see where the lines are. I used to get things all muddled. I still do a little. I am excited at how much I'm learning.

By Sheetal P

Nov 03, 2018

there is one challenging assignment at the end of week 3 which required application of knowledge gathered so far in the course. However, there should be scope for more such assignments and inclusion of 'Student Forum' or a 'Discussion Board' within the course for the learners to interact with the instructor and the other co-learners taking course simultaneously with me. I have experienced the usefulness of such a Discussion forum available in the other course offered by Coursera.

By Dayna A

Dec 28, 2016

The course provides a good basis for understanding online instruction. The videos were informative, though I recommend reading the lecture transcripts first then watching the videos as the video slides were basic and didn't really add to the lecture's organization.

By Kelly

Mar 07, 2017

Good explanations of material, instructor and instructions are easy to understand. A lot of focus on state/gov't regulations that could be more condensed.

By Cláudio F K d R

May 15, 2016

The videos talk about forums but there is no forum. It leaves the impression that the course was designed and then abandoned.

By Diane R

Apr 18, 2016

I found much of the content to be interesting and timely. However, I thought the quizzes were poorly written. There was no feedback, so as a learner it was hard to grow from errors. Also, there were many that required more than one answer, if you missed one, you missed entire question. Without feedback, it was difficult to know which one you missed. The week 4 lesson content was a bit dense for an introductory course. It was dry and could've been more global. Last, the large lesson assignment was only graded by peers with no feedback from the instructor.

By Mary C M

Mar 19, 2016

Although the content is good, the course itself does not reflect in any way what a good asynchronous course should be. Where is the discussion board? How can one communicate with the instructor or with other classmates? Although peer review of an assignment is one aspect of asynchronous and synchronous education, said assignment should also be reviewed by an instructor, especially when said instruction carries so much weight. In addition, I think overall the tests are unfair. I was marked wrong twice for a question that asked my opinion! Also, in the "check all that apply" questions, if one misses one of the answers, the whole question is marked wrong. Finally, many of the test questions themselves are irrelevant to the content of the course. One last thing- the course says it's a five week program, but there are only 4 weeks. Something needs to be adjusted.

By Athina S

Jun 17, 2016

Some materials are useful but the teacher has no idea of teaching techniques and good presentation. Very bad choice for the University of Irvin, California to entrust such an interesting course to such an incompetent and feeble instructor. She is reading in a monotonous way and nothing more. Her presentations have no meaning. She does not appear in the video lectures. She can not introduce animated elements. The materials she selected are sometimes and only somehow relevant. The most of the materials have only percentages, and small details on history. A course of poor quality.

By German F

out of date, and REALLY boring...

By Muhammad K S

Jul 01, 2020

"In the name of ALLAH, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful"

very nice and knowledge full all course specially videos. questions are mostly difficult and pushed me to watch videos again and again with each failure attempt. the presenters and other teachers in videos are very expert in their knowledge. I hope that because of this every one who watch videos sincerely and repeatedly , he or she learn more and more about virtual instructions education online acquire new aspect of knowledge. Great work Cindy you are great, polite and a real teacher i will remember you rest of my life. I am assistant Professor in the field of Medical Physiology teaching. before COVID i was taking lectures in face to face traditional class. It is new experience for all of our university faculty members. Great experience and Finally Thanks to My Dow University Of Health Sciences Karachi Pakistan who sponsored me for this course. Thanks to Coursera

By Aamir N

Jun 12, 2020

It has given me confidence and awareness of terminology of online teaching and learning, importance of reflection and online tools available for better experience of both... the teacher/facilitator and the participant/learner. The best part is that it opens up a formal direction to accept the learning happens at both the ends, Students as well as the teacher. Thank You , it is clear, simple and progressive.

By Marcos V M d S

Nov 02, 2017

I enjoyed every week. The course provides a good overview about the Foundations of Virtual Instruction, that is, the main subject of the course.

The lesson are well structured and the explanations are clear. The Coursera LMS is friendly, and I learned a lot about online learning and virtual instruction.

A Special thanks to our instructor Mrs. Cindy Carbajal, that was outstanding.

By Amarnath B

The course addressed the fundamentals of Virtual Instruction in a very excellent manner. It helped me to get a clear idea about the various types of LMS/ VLE tools that we can employ for delivering our lectures more efficiently which could benefit the learning of our students more effectively.

By Allesandra P

Apr 11, 2018

This course has good information and direction for learning about basics of being an online instructor. Its good to consider the history of initial development and possibilities of the future growth in the field. Much appreciated and useful course material.

Jun 12, 2016

This is an excellent introduction to Virtual Instruction. There is a "goldmine" of additional resources that provide addition insights and learning if you take advantage of them. Great Learning Tips for various online tools.

By Julie M

Sep 13, 2018

I'd been teaching online for twenty years (you could call me an early adopter) and I still gained a range of methods and resources from this course. The instructor, I would say, is a master teacher in this modality.

By josé c l h

Jan 19, 2018

By Kuldeep S R

Jun 28, 2020

By Tabe R

Jun 26, 2020

Great learning experience , though its just a beginning to pave the path towards a an unlimited science and art of teaching online...yet found very interesting.

By Amanda B

May 28, 2019

This course introduced me to the world of Virtual Teaching, gave me awareness of online tools, and inspired me to continue developing as a professional.