Back to Words Spun Out of Images: Visual and Literary Culture in Nineteenth Century Japan

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Words Spun Out of Images: Visual and Literary Culture in Nineteenth Century Japan by The University of Tokyo

In their ambition to capture “real life,” Japanese painters, poets, novelists and photographers of the nineteenth century collaborated in ways seldom explored by their European contemporaries. This course offers learners the chance to encounter and appreciate behavior, moral standards and some of the material conditions surrounding Japanese artists in the nineteenth century, in order to renew our assumptions about what artistic “realism” is and what it meant. Learners will walk away with a clear understanding of how society and the individual were conceived of and represented in early modern Japan. Unlike contemporary western art forms, which acknowledge their common debt as “sister arts” but remain divided by genre and discourse, Japanese visual and literary culture tended to combine, producing literary texts inspired by visual images, and visual images which would then be inscribed with poems and prose. Noticing and being able to interpret this indivisibility of visual/literary cultures is essential in understanding the social and psychological values embedded within the beauty of Japanese art....

SC

Sep 06, 2019

It has expanded my views not only on Japan Visual and Literary Culture but also has open for me a new way of looking at portraits in different cultures and times. Thank you so much

VC

Jan 10, 2018

Very knowledgeable lecturer with a gentle humble voice. Much was learned about literary portraits from 18th/19th centuries to literary photographs in the early 20th century.

1 - 25 of 72 Reviews for Words Spun Out of Images: Visual and Literary Culture in Nineteenth Century Japan

By Amita K

Apr 15, 2019

Exceptional material and a great lecturer!!

By Steve B

Jun 10, 2018

I have learned more from this course than some whole degree programmes. Partly this is because Professor Campbell is the 'real thing' - an academic who invests himself in his interests. I imagine him in his serarch through antiquarian book and art shops - turning over photographs. He seems always to be thinking.Yet he has a great way of communicating.I will miss this course when it is finished.

By jawaahir a

Dec 16, 2018

i loved it! it was very detailed in terms of historical literature and photographic culture and the narrator really explained everything very well.

By Zongpu L

Jul 10, 2019

The course is very interesting. It not only introduces the traditional Japanese art with its comments but also talks about the photos and postcards.

By Philippe S

May 19, 2019

Interesting and unexpected

By Carmen

Feb 22, 2019

Very interesting introduction to a subject I was very ignorant about!

By Luiza R V d C

Feb 15, 2019

Incrível, me ajudou muito com a minha pesquisa!

By Aurea L R

Feb 10, 2019

It has been very interesting. I've learned a lot about a topic that I do not know

Thank's!!!

By radovan m

Mar 05, 2019

This course, presented by a very charismatic lecturer, opened a whole new literary world for me and provided me with a lot of inspiration for my photographic work. I went through all four modules in two weeks and ended up with more curiosity about the subject :)

By Melina C K

Mar 06, 2019

Very interesting course! Great to start understanding Japanese art!

By Vy N

Mar 16, 2019

I love this course!!!

By Fanny W G

Apr 10, 2019

I love this course. Amazing content provided in very easy to understand lessons! I enjoyed every minute of it!!

By akiko k

Oct 12, 2017

For the first time since I graduated from high school, I received a lecture on literature. It was very interesting.In a different way from high school literature classes, the lecture given a wealth of materials was exciting for me.

I would like to receive again if the second Campbell lecture is held.

By Juyoung R

Jan 07, 2018

Very usful and informative course. Highly recommanded for

By Jessica R

Apr 03, 2018

I loved this course - Robert Campbell is expert at conveying not only the knowledge of the material but also his passion for it. I would highly recommend this course to anyone interested in Japanese culture and art. It has certainly enriched my own understanding and appreciation.

By Antonios Z

Nov 16, 2017

An excellent course, you can learn a lot about Japanese history and culture from a unique perspective. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in Japan, its art history and culture, and its connection with the Western world. Satisfactory for both beginners and people with experience on the subject.

By Yumi S

Oct 21, 2017

I'm a lot of fun of Sir Robert Campbell. At the beginning of the course, it was tough for me to understand the each content. But the each quiz was interesting. I had a really good time with listening to his lecture and reading the transcription. Thank you.

By Gabriela A C

Dec 30, 2017

Great.

By Ricardo M

Oct 31, 2017

A great course with plenty of interesting data and delivered by a master in the subject.

By Vanice C

Jan 10, 2018

By jordi o j

Dec 07, 2017

so interesting info!

By Ana S T P

Dec 10, 2017

Since I like Japanese Literature a lot, I found this course very interesting. I've seen so many pieces of Japanese art with the inscriptions, I imagined the words and the image were related but I had not idea how much related they were. I wish I could learn more about Japanese art and literature. This course was a nice opening!

By theodore k

Dec 03, 2017

This course was excellent. Robert Campbell was remarkable-a terrific lecturer and generous in sharing so much of his private collection of images. I am grateful to Coursera and to Prof. Campbell for the opportunity to have taken his outstanding course.

By Denni D

Oct 04, 2017

This course has surpassed my expectations in every way. Robert Campbell is an engaging, thoughtful and deeply knowledgable lecturer who obviously takes pleasure from sharing his knowledge. I have learnt so much! Thank you.

By Hiranmoy L

Oct 16, 2017

Great course, excellent teaching by sensei. ALthough subtitles sometimes are wrongly interpreted (like 'major restoration' nstead of 'Meiji'