Back to Words Spun Out of Images: Visual and Literary Culture in Nineteenth Century Japan

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Words Spun Out of Images: Visual and Literary Culture in Nineteenth Century Japan by The University of Tokyo

In their ambition to capture “real life,” Japanese painters, poets, novelists and photographers of the nineteenth century collaborated in ways seldom explored by their European contemporaries. This course offers learners the chance to encounter and appreciate behavior, moral standards and some of the material conditions surrounding Japanese artists in the nineteenth century, in order to renew our assumptions about what artistic “realism” is and what it meant. Learners will walk away with a clear understanding of how society and the individual were conceived of and represented in early modern Japan. Unlike contemporary western art forms, which acknowledge their common debt as “sister arts” but remain divided by genre and discourse, Japanese visual and literary culture tended to combine, producing literary texts inspired by visual images, and visual images which would then be inscribed with poems and prose. Noticing and being able to interpret this indivisibility of visual/literary cultures is essential in understanding the social and psychological values embedded within the beauty of Japanese art....

SC

Sep 06, 2019

It has expanded my views not only on Japan Visual and Literary Culture but also has open for me a new way of looking at portraits in different cultures and times. Thank you so much

VC

Jan 10, 2018

Very knowledgeable lecturer with a gentle humble voice. Much was learned about literary portraits from 18th/19th centuries to literary photographs in the early 20th century.

26 - 50 of 101 Reviews for Words Spun Out of Images: Visual and Literary Culture in Nineteenth Century Japan

By Hildebrando C G

Jun 30, 2020

Un excelente curso que abre el panorama hacia un nuevo enfoque de cómo observar el arte japonés de manera ambivalente: no solo la literatura, sino las artes gráficas y las fotografías de principios del siglo XX. Ojalá hubieran más cátedras dictadas por el Dr.!

By Yumi S

Oct 21, 2017

I'm a lot of fun of Sir Robert Campbell. At the beginning of the course, it was tough for me to understand the each content. But the each quiz was interesting. I had a really good time with listening to his lecture and reading the transcription. Thank you.

By theodore k

Dec 03, 2017

This course was excellent. Robert Campbell was remarkable-a terrific lecturer and generous in sharing so much of his private collection of images. I am grateful to Coursera and to Prof. Campbell for the opportunity to have taken his outstanding course.

By Shantilly R

Oct 13, 2017

This course was extremely valuable to me as someone who is extremely interested in both the art and history of Japan. It was compact (4 weeks) but filled with poignant information and a great basis upon which you can continue to learn more from.

By Nancy

Nov 01, 2019

Really excellent course. Helped me further my understanding of the Japanese culture and how it reflects, as does any culture, the historical context of the country within it's borders as well as to the rest of the world. Thank you Dr. Campbell.

By Ebba J

Dec 05, 2017

The course was an interesting introduction to the combining of images with writing - that's why I took it. For reading and learning the content better, "cleaned up" transcripts and paragraphs would be of great help. Thanks for the course!

By Leon B C

Jun 13, 2020

This course gives me a new knowledge especially in art culture in Japanese, this course is great for someone who interested in Japanese culture in Nineteenth century and the interpretation behind the art that presented in the course.

By Denni D

Oct 04, 2017

This course has surpassed my expectations in every way. Robert Campbell is an engaging, thoughtful and deeply knowledgable lecturer who obviously takes pleasure from sharing his knowledge. I have learnt so much! Thank you.

By Monica F B F

Mar 30, 2018

Me encanto el curso, ya que no solo aprendí de arte e historia de Japón, sino que las lecciones me llevaron paso a paso a comprender mejor las formas de expresión como la pintura, literatura y fotografía y su objetivo.

By Andrew S

Nov 10, 2017

Excellent course! Well-presented, interesting and unusual subject matter, pitched well for beginners and people with some knowledge. I would be interested in studying other courses by the same institution or presenter.

By Azajul I N

May 13, 2020

I have come to know a lot of unknown facts about the cultures of Japan from this course. My curiosity about Japan has been mitigated by this program. Thanks to the University of Tokyo for this nice course. Well done.

By Valentina B

Apr 02, 2020

I have studied Japanese culture and art in the past, but this particular topic was incredibly interesting and new to me. The lecturer was very clear and precise, which I found helpful.

By Regina P

Jun 19, 2020

Marvelous course! I've learned many cultural things about Japan and now I look forward to learning more. The professor was very clear and his examples were really interesting.

By Moritz S

Mar 30, 2020

A very interesting look into intermedial relations between images and writing in early modern to modern Japan. Prof. Campbell's personal collection is certainly impressive!

By yan l

Oct 09, 2018

Fantastic course and the teacher is so erudited. After the course, I want to have more MOOCS with this teacher. What an intellectual model this teacher is!

By Коршунова Е В

Nov 03, 2019

I am so grateful for the opportunity to take this course. I would definitely recommend it to everyone who is interested in Japanese art and history.

By Hiranmoy L

Oct 16, 2017

Great course, excellent teaching by sensei. ALthough subtitles sometimes are wrongly interpreted (like 'major restoration' nstead of 'Meiji'

By Andrea K L

Dec 28, 2017

Excellent introduction, I enjoyed this course tremendously, very informative, learned a lot.

Many thanks to Professor Campbell and his team!

By Jerome H

Jul 10, 2020

面白かった. It is the first time i understood that combination of images and poems or words was a specificity of Japan in the 19-20th century.

By Yujin l

Nov 02, 2018

the lecturer is knowledgeable and engaging. it greatly enriched my appreciation of japanese arts and culture. i highly recommend it.

By Ozge C

Oct 15, 2017

It was a truly enlightening and highly enjoyable course with an amazing lecturer. My gratitude to all who was involved.

By Javier A P

Jul 30, 2019

I really like Japan, and I wanted to learn a little more about its culture, so this course has served me a lot.

By Fanny W G

Apr 10, 2019

I love this course. Amazing content provided in very easy to understand lessons! I enjoyed every minute of it!!

By Vira T

May 10, 2018

Gives a deep and detailed image of the period. Helped a lot in my understanding writers of 19th cent in Japan.

By Katrin W

Nov 22, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed taking this course, while at the same time learning a lot about the subject.