Back to Visual Perception and the Brain

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Visual Perception and the Brain by Duke University

Learners will be introduced to the problems that vision faces, using perception as a guide. The course will consider how what we see is generated by the visual system, what the central problem for vision is, and what visual perception indicates about how the brain works. The evidence will be drawn from neuroscience, psychology, the history of vision science and what philosophy has contributed. Although the discussions will be informed by visual system anatomy and physiology, the focus is on perception. We see the physical world in a strange way, and goal is to understand why....

JB

Apr 04, 2017

Very interesting MOOC. The instructor is very knowledgeable in the area and uses interesting examples to explain the content.

DA

Jul 09, 2016

Amazing Course Structure. I completely lost track of the fact that I am, originally a Mathematics Student!

26 - 40 of 40 Reviews for Visual Perception and the Brain

By Aleksandr V

Nov 03, 2016

Carefully listen to "About the Course" video, so your expectations won't be deceived

By FENG Z

Oct 06, 2016

this course is very interesting

By Eric W

Jan 23, 2017

An awesome course to get familiar with the mechanism of visual perception.

By Stevanus L

Jul 31, 2019

It's really useful to learn this as someone who is starting to learn 3D Animation as it really evokes my thinking as see everyday visual things into more detail and not be fooled by our visual systems.

By Ange A

Sep 12, 2019

I have enjoyed every bit of it !!!

By Simonov O

May 11, 2017

This course gave me another view at the problem of visual perception. The course relates more to psychology than to medicine. Essay writing is mandatory for the completion of the course. Thanks to Professor Purves and his team from the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences.

By Sharon R

Sep 05, 2016

Very well researched and articulate professor, incredibly knowledgeable.

By Chris L

Jan 23, 2017

great layout and well presented. concepts were stimulating and I felt I learnt a lot. I would have liked some discussion around topics such as amblyopia and development, effects of observer movement, and the links between visual perception and the vestibular system. Having said that, I think the content was plenty for a 5 week course.

By Alessandro R

Jan 27, 2018

The course is very interesting, it explains the basic features of the human visual system in a nice and understandable way, providing many interesting example of how our perceptron is affected by the external world and our own experience.

By Shreya T

Jan 26, 2017

It is a must for all those who would love to explore vision at the perspective of neuroscience and evolution.

By David B

Apr 20, 2017

Great Job!

By Himanshu A

Jun 17, 2018

Although the course material is absolutely fantastic. Some concepts should be elucidated further.

By Pramit B

Dec 18, 2016

Course was amazing. It deals with how to correctly understand visual illusions through empirical data collection. It does not delve into the anatomical aspects, or the cellular aspects, of vision. Some drawbacks would be the lack of explanation on how to model or collect the data, which is probably too complicated to state in a online course anyway.

By Dorothy H

Aug 15, 2016

I don't like that the 3 and 4 star reviews are missing!

Coursera seems to sometimes remove reviews with lower numbers of starts.

I thought that this course was going to be mostly on the brain, but it wasn't at all.... just a small section.

If your main interest is in vision then it might be different, but for me being interested only in how vision relates to the brain, there was very little useful information in this course for me.

By Marco M

Jun 20, 2019

The course started amazingly, with really interesting discussions, but ended being an introduction to weird perceptual phenomena explained through empirical experience. Important if you want to get a certificate: the final essay is almost impossible to get evaluated!! Too few people