Back to Visual Perception and the Brain

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Visual Perception and the Brain by Duke University

Learners will be introduced to the problems that vision faces, using perception as a guide. The course will consider how what we see is generated by the visual system, what the central problem for vision is, and what visual perception indicates about how the brain works. The evidence will be drawn from neuroscience, psychology, the history of vision science and what philosophy has contributed. Although the discussions will be informed by visual system anatomy and physiology, the focus is on perception. We see the physical world in a strange way, and goal is to understand why....

DB

Jun 12, 2020

This is a great course dealt meticulously. The carefully crafted audiovisual study material and quizzes together with very inspiring video lectures helped understand and learn with great enthusiasm.

PC

Feb 29, 2020

I am currently undertaking a PhD in visual inspection techniques for aircraft maintenance tasks and i found this course excellent. Dale is a wealth of knowledge and delivered an excellent course.

26 - 50 of 52 Reviews for Visual Perception and the Brain

By Чобану М

Aug 06, 2020

simply GREAT course. The lecturer explained everything well. Thanks to him!!!

By Eric W

Jan 23, 2017

An awesome course to get familiar with the mechanism of visual perception.

By Joseph T

Nov 16, 2017

Excellent course. Did a lot to change my views of perception and reality.

By Vicky K

Jul 28, 2016

Really intresting course, simple but educational lectures! Very helpful.

By Yusun L

Apr 29, 2017

Hard topics but easy explained or illustrated.

By Guillermo U O G

Feb 23, 2018

It was a good course and very helpful

By Dadarkforce

Dec 27, 2017

Interesting and thought provocative

By Ange A

Sep 12, 2019

I have enjoyed every bit of it !!!

By Nabeel B A R

Aug 03, 2020

was very difficult to achieve....

By FENG Z

Oct 06, 2016

this course is very interesting

By Isaque N d S

Aug 22, 2020

Very intriguing and logical.

By Alen I

Jul 07, 2020

It's good

By Kavin P

Jul 09, 2020

My long term curiosity of the question, 'why do we perceive the world - the way we do?' - has been either answered or shown a path for deeper understanding. Being a Mechanical Engineering student, I had almost none prior knowledge regarding human brain and its anatomy - but that wasn't an issue either! - everything has been explained very well with examples and wonderful illustrations.

Thank You Duke University and Coursera, for such an amazing course!

By Pramit B

Dec 18, 2016

Course was amazing. It deals with how to correctly understand visual illusions through empirical data collection. It does not delve into the anatomical aspects, or the cellular aspects, of vision. Some drawbacks would be the lack of explanation on how to model or collect the data, which is probably too complicated to state in a online course anyway.

By Chris L

Jan 23, 2017

great layout and well presented. concepts were stimulating and I felt I learnt a lot. I would have liked some discussion around topics such as amblyopia and development, effects of observer movement, and the links between visual perception and the vestibular system. Having said that, I think the content was plenty for a 5 week course.

By Simonov O

May 11, 2017

This course gave me another view at the problem of visual perception. The course relates more to psychology than to medicine. Essay writing is mandatory for the completion of the course. Thanks to Professor Purves and his team from the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences.

By Alessandro R

Jan 27, 2018

The course is very interesting, it explains the basic features of the human visual system in a nice and understandable way, providing many interesting example of how our perceptron is affected by the external world and our own experience.

By Shreya T

Jan 26, 2017

It is a must for all those who would love to explore vision at the perspective of neuroscience and evolution.

By Himanshu A

Jun 17, 2018

Although the course material is absolutely fantastic. Some concepts should be elucidated further.

By Sharon R

Sep 05, 2016

Very well researched and articulate professor, incredibly knowledgeable.

By David B

Apr 20, 2017

Great Job!

By Dorothy H

Aug 15, 2016

I don't like that the 3 and 4 star reviews are missing!

Coursera seems to sometimes remove reviews with lower numbers of starts.

I thought that this course was going to be mostly on the brain, but it wasn't at all.... just a small section.

If your main interest is in vision then it might be different, but for me being interested only in how vision relates to the brain, there was very little useful information in this course for me.