Back to Visual Perception and the Brain

Visual Perception and the Brain, Duke University

About this Course

Learners will be introduced to the problems that vision faces, using perception as a guide. The course will consider how what we see is generated by the visual system, what the central problem for vision is, and what visual perception indicates about how the brain works. The evidence will be drawn from neuroscience, psychology, the history of vision science and what philosophy has contributed. Although the discussions will be informed by visual system anatomy and physiology, the focus is on perception. We see the physical world in a strange way, and goal is to understand why....

By JB

Apr 04, 2017

Very interesting MOOC. The instructor is very knowledgeable in the area and uses interesting examples to explain the content.

By DA

Jul 09, 2016

Amazing Course Structure. I completely lost track of the fact that I am, originally a Mathematics Student!

37 Reviews

By Himanshu Ahuja

Jun 17, 2018

Although the course material is absolutely fantastic. Some concepts should be elucidated further.

By Xue Kai

May 29, 2018

A very insightful course. Super straightforward. A perfect choice as an introductory course.

By Diego Alexander Giraldo García

May 15, 2018

Excellent!!

By Guillermo Ulises Ortiz Garin

Feb 23, 2018

It was a good course and very helpful

By Alessandro Rossi

Jan 27, 2018

The course is very interesting, it explains the basic features of the human visual system in a nice and understandable way, providing many interesting example of how our perceptron is affected by the external world and our own experience.

By Clare Holdinghaus-Ireland

Jan 13, 2018

Starts you off in the weeds of the anatomy and physiology of vision, but quickly gets to the heart of the philosophical problem of connecting subjective visual perception to objective external physical properties of the world. I found the problem very well defined, the argument organized and compelling, and the material engaging. I appreciated the relative rigor of the quizzes and the fact that the material was presented in a way I thought was accessible and interesting to both beginners and mid-level students alike. It gave me a new perspective.

By Al-Rashid Jamalul

Dec 27, 2017

Interesting and thought provocative

By Maria Stavrinou

Nov 18, 2017

Excellent course!

By Joseph Taylor

Nov 16, 2017

Excellent course. Did a lot to change my views of perception and reality.

By Salman Maqbool

Nov 11, 2017

An absolute pleasure of a course. Most of the stuff is well-explained, even for people outside of Neuroscience. As a person working in Machine Learning, this course also broadened my views about how vision and the brain works.