Back to VLSI CAD Part I: Logic

Learner Reviews & Feedback for VLSI CAD Part I: Logic by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

A modern VLSI chip has a zillion parts -- logic, control, memory, interconnect, etc. How do we design these complex chips? Answer: CAD software tools. Learn how to build thesA modern VLSI chip is a remarkably complex beast: billions of transistors, millions of logic gates deployed for computation and control, big blocks of memory, embedded blocks of pre-designed functions designed by third parties (called “intellectual property” or IP blocks). How do people manage to design these complicated chips? Answer: a sequence of computer aided design (CAD) tools takes an abstract description of the chip, and refines it step-wise to a final design. This class focuses on the major design tools used in the creation of an Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) or System on Chip (SoC) design. Our focus in this first part of the course is on key Boolean logic representations that make it possible to synthesize, and to verify, the gate-level logic in these designs. This is the first step of the design chain, as we move from logic to layout. Our goal is for students to understand how the tools themselves work, at the level of their fundamental algorithms and data structures. Topics covered will include: Computational Boolean algebra, logic verification, and logic synthesis (2-level and multi-level). Recommended Background Programming experience (C, C++, Java, Python, etc.) and basic knowledge of data structures and algorithms (especially recursive algorithms). An understanding of basic digital design: Boolean algebra, Kmaps, gates and flip flops, finite state machine design. Linear algebra and calculus at the level of a junior or senior in engineering. Exposure to basic VLSI at an undergraduate level is nice -- but it’s not necessary. We will keep the course self-contained, but students with some VLSI will be able to skip some background material.e tools in this class....

SV

Aug 14, 2017

Really Enjoyed taking the course. The course gives interesting insights about how various EDA tools work and algorithms that make it possible.

RR

Feb 24, 2019

It’s a great course with good compilation of source materials. Thanks to the Professor and the university for this wonderful online course.

1 - 24 of 24 Reviews for VLSI CAD Part I: Logic

By Calebe M d O C

Feb 19, 2019

The course takes the 'hands-on' experience seriously. It made me go more in-depth on details of the logic synthesis, leading me the great pleasure of discovering I had so much to know about a subject I imagined I was familiar.

By Rajalakshmi

Feb 24, 2019

By Mohammad A

Feb 07, 2019

High quality of Education! Sufficient Tools and highly recommended.

By Sunny B

Jul 17, 2018

Well planned and well organized course!

By Akash L

Aug 12, 2018

Great course; excellent and very understandable lecturing style with great examples.

By HEMACHANDRAN K

Aug 01, 2018

good

By Aashish A S

Feb 21, 2018

Very useful for freshers who want to learn VLSI

By Anurag S R

Jan 31, 2018

This course does a great job of introducing you to the basics of Computational Boolean Algebra and completing the Honors track not only gets you on with BDDs, SATs and logic development but also gives a flavour of creating relevant software. A bit of background in Digital Logic and some basic programming exposure would help.

By abd E R S A

Sep 09, 2017

Very interesting information. You will appreciate CAD tools very much after this course.

By Srinath R

Aug 13, 2017

It's a great course! It made me understand the concepts of boolean network optimisation and the different data structures we can possibly use to implement the same. High quality lectures, easy weekly assignments and pretty difficult Honors assignments! Happy to have spent 5 weeks of my free time in something interesting.

By Naren c

Jun 26, 2018

the course is designed so well I didn't face any problems while doing this course the technical support is always availableThank you

By Ayush G

Jul 16, 2017

Best course till now

By Sachin K V

Aug 14, 2017

By Mohammad H

Jul 28, 2018

Great Course and excellent lecturer, Almost all of the content of the course was new to me, even that I am a grad student in electrical engineering (digital design). I am looking forward to start the next course and do some physical layout.

All the best

By Md. F K

Jul 10, 2019

It's been a quality 30 days spent on this course. I must thank Professor Rutenbar, UIUC and Coursera.

Quality course material and easy to understand storytelling like approach to a complex topic like logic synthesis. I highly recommend this course if you have an interest in chip design and me myself is planning on taking the part-2: Layout of this specialization.

By Gaurav K K

May 27, 2019

Very informative and challenging assignments

By Georgios K

Dec 17, 2018

An interesting course, generally you learn about the synthesis but not about the algorithms of the synthesis process. Great to learn the use of heuristic algorithms. Thank you professor, your explanations were great.

By Vallabh B

Mar 28, 2019

The course is pretty good taught me a lot about CAD.

By Shuvmay C

Sep 07, 2018

The marking scheme for the quiz is a little difficult, given the level of the quiz ,the marking scheme should be relaxed and partial marks should be granted.

Rest the course is amazing , prof. Rob Rutenbar has done a fantastic job in explaining the boolean algebra and important concepts like gate network repair or replacement, Multilevel logic, Dont Cares, e.t.c.

Its a good course to take , boolean algebra will be certainly strong after the completion of the course.

By Amr A

Oct 06, 2017

very useful course

By Sai P r

Jul 04, 2019

Good

By Christopher D L

Jul 15, 2018

Somewhat hard to follow the assignments. I wish there was much building of skills than application on harder examples.