Back to Wine Tasting: Sensory Techniques for Wine Analysis

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Wine Tasting: Sensory Techniques for Wine Analysis by University of California, Davis

With its roots in ancient cultures as early as 6,000 BC, wine has long been part of the human experience. Today, increasing worldwide interest in wine and its complexities and varieties has created an international market valued at $304 billion annually. For the learner who is just getting started in the study of wine, this course will help you take the first steps toward understanding the physiological process of wine tasting. The first module will explore types of wine and help you set up your own tasting. You’ll also begin to build a sensory vocabulary. In module 2 you will review classic wine types of the world and set up flights of specific wines. Later we’ll examine the various faults and defects that can appear in wine as well as techniques for spotting problems. In week 4 we’ll delve into the complex world of wine and food pairings, and its “seven deadly sins.” The course will culminate in a peer review project in which you will apply the knowledge and sensory techniques you have developed throughout the course to assess a specific wine....

AG
May 6, 2019

This is a great source of information about wine and of course wine tasting. The work to do home is very learning focus and this type of practice helps you grab the information and retain it.

TW
Oct 6, 2020

Awesome course. After this course I feel confident speaking to my guests about wine choices and can guide them towards a great food pairing. Thanks John, you are a great professor!

101 - 125 of 129 Reviews for Wine Tasting: Sensory Techniques for Wine Analysis

Nov 18, 2019

great

By Sanjaith s

Sep 5, 2020

good

By Ikram A

Jul 23, 2020

Good

By Yasmak K

Dec 1, 2020

I think the peer review part of the final assignments should be reconsidered and solved. Some of the peers uploaded blank pages to see other peer's assignments and then they copied some parts and prepared their essays accordingly. This was bad and against the honour code. I have personally seen that a part of my essay was copied word by word by another peer, and wrote him it is unacceptable.

You can solve this by cancelling the resubmission option once it is downloaded.

In general meaning, I am very happy about the course content and the instructor. His method is very productive and supportive. The course gave me confidence. Thank you very much.

By Benka P

Mar 26, 2020

John Buechsenstein is superb. Unfortunately the peer assignment rating procedure is a nightmare and should be rethink-ed and restructured. Not all the students are able to do their job well and can be frustrating for a serious learner.

By David D

Apr 11, 2017

Impressive, one learns a great deal about tasting techniques but also the basics of grape and wine variations. I just wish I had a better for detecting the aromas!

By Bersanetti D

Nov 30, 2020

practices and simple exercises to refine the sensitivity of the nose to easily analyze a wine

By Fausto B

Aug 28, 2020

Great course but how can I get the certificate? Please email at fausto.bouchaira@gmail.com

By Somesh S

Oct 1, 2020

Yes the course is excellent. Learnt more about sensory analysis of different wines

By Yelena S

Sep 18, 2020

I enjoyed the course. The instructor was very good. Wine tasting was fun!

By David

Nov 8, 2020

Very good if you want to know more about wine.

By Jonathan G

Jul 4, 2020

POOR FEEDBACK

By Martin N

Aug 13, 2020

As an auditor this class was a disappointment. I was sorry that the first quiz couldn't be graded, but very disappointed that the rest of the class could only be viewed if I enrolled. I enjoyed the instructor, and found him very informative and warm.

By Nahil S

Apr 5, 2020

The instructor could have showed us how to snif or sip wine for example instead of just talking and explaining verbally and posting illustrative pictures.

The videos tend to be boring since we have to listen and imagine what the instructor is talking about instead of watching a real demonstration.