Back to Writing and Editing: Structure and Organization

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing and Editing: Structure and Organization by University of Michigan

This second course in the Good with Words: Writing and Editing series will help you become an effective architect of information, both with your sentences and with your paragraphs. You’ll learn that the traditional advice to “Show, don’t tell” is incomplete and that skilled writers actually switch back and forth between showing and telling. You’ll also learn more about the menu of time management techniques introduced in the first course of the series, including “deep work,” “studio time,” and “the Animal Farm Principle.” And as with the other three courses in this series, you will get access to a wide range of books and other resources you can use even after you finish the course. These include: (1)the readings and exercises provided to the students who have taken the in-person version of this course at the University of Michigan and the University of Chicago; (2)two digital libraries of excellent writing from a diverse collection of journalists, scientists, novelists, poets, historians, and entrepreneurs; (3)a monthly “Good Sentences” email....

AD
Nov 21, 2020

Great course! There's plenty of materials and opportunities for practice. There's a sense of continuation from one topic to the next; coherence is impeccable.

PP
Feb 5, 2021

This course helped me understand how to write good sentences. I knew writing good sentences is important but, being shown how to write was very helpful.

1 - 25 of 56 Reviews for Writing and Editing: Structure and Organization

By Brandon L S

Jun 2, 2020

I enjoyed the videos and the content within them, but I felt they were often too short and needlessly broken into shorter videos. I understand that this was probably done to break things into more digestible content, but it became rather annoying having to sit through several < 1 minute videos in a row.

I felt a bit overwhelmed with all the reading, not because of the content, but rather the number of options offered.

I would have liked to have seen more practice offered. The quizzes weren’t terribly helpful because they seemed to test your ability to recall information such as author names; this wasn’t particularly helpful for reinforcing the ideas in the videos and reading and provided a source of frustration, rather than information.

There’s even errors in some of these quizzes (Battle and the Ballot); not a good look on a writing course.

By Ardak K

Jun 18, 2020

expected something more than was given. moreover, nevertheless it is said you can do courses in any order there are too much references to the 1st course.

By Kat Z

Jul 10, 2020

This course taught by Professor Barry gave me many new ideas and perspectives on how to write better-structured writing. He communicated this information in an engaging and entertaining way. Thank you for creating this course!

By Si

Dec 21, 2020

Excellent class. Very clear and interesting instruction that is supported by videos and additional reading material.

By Jorge A G

Aug 13, 2020

Everything I expected—and a little bit more. Excellent, consistent structure.

By Sam B

Apr 15, 2021

It is often remarked as a general rule that the only way to learn something is to do it. Writing is no exception. If you do wish to improve your writing then write.

With that said, Professor Barry outlines ways in which to analyze your own writing, as well as others. This is invaluable to someone who wishes to improve their communication in the written form. Moreover, Professor Barry teaches how to get better at getting better in the most general sense.

For these two reasons, I have found this course to be immensely impactful on the way I approach writing and learning. I suppose there is no greater takeaway one can wish for in a writing course.

By Eduardo J K

Nov 29, 2020

O curso é incrível. Conteúdo interessante, apresentado de forma didática e leve. O professor é didático e engajado. Apesar de ser dedicado a alunos do curso de Direito da Universidade de Michigan, pode ser aplicado a qualquer área do conhecimento. As dicas sobre o uso da língua inglesa são muito boas e proveitosas. Recomendo este curso para todos(as) que desejam escrever de forma persuasiva.

By Bernice A

Dec 15, 2020

This course has been super helpful. It gave me a variety of readings. My instructor is very smart. He knows the concept at his fingertips and he really takes time to teach. I like how he invites his students to share at the end of the class what they remember from the class. He is a gem.

By Jennifer M

Nov 30, 2020

Professor Barry excels in organizing and communicating ideas in ways that are engaging and revelatory. This course will give you the tools and resources to improve your writing in every area of your life, and the ability to express your ideas effectively and persuasively.

By ajenkins67@hotmail.com

Dec 30, 2020

This course was very good. I am learning a lot of good writing skills from both of the first courses that i have taken. The only thing I would do DIFFERNTLY IS MAKE MORRE ASSIGMENTS AND LESS PRATICE QUIZZES.

Allan JENKINS

By Gloria J M

Apr 12, 2021

Excellent review of past learning with many ideas for improving communication through writing. I recommend this course to anyone who wants to be clearly understood as well as interesting and entertaining to the reader.

By Analeil R D

Nov 22, 2020

By Pamela P

Feb 5, 2021

By Sharon J

Jul 20, 2021

I love this course! It offers an escape into a whole new world! Thank you for curating the content and for creating such compelling courses!

By Deborah S

Sep 11, 2020

Excellent and inspiring and at the same time very informative and beneficial. Great teacher. Beautifully presented and organised.

By Gabriel P

Feb 9, 2021

Although the courses are designed to be taken in any order, the order taken does support a nice gradual approach.

By Ewurajei

Sep 30, 2020

This is one of the best self-paced online courses I've taken. Thank you for sharing top-notch learning materials.

By Donna C

Apr 8, 2021

Best writing course I have ever done. Cant wait to complete the others in the specialization. Excellent teacher!

By Maria C

Nov 7, 2020

I really enjoy these courses. Not only do I learn to write better, but I also learn about authors I didn't know.

By Paul W B

Dec 20, 2020

I may not be a law student, but this was an excellent course to test and rethink my writing strategies.

By K. S

Oct 9, 2020

Professor Barry is an amazing fountain of knowledge and advice about writing skills.

By CHIRIKI C N

Oct 23, 2020

It was an awesome experience for me and I am priviliged to be a part of this course

By Megan O

Jan 30, 2021

I'm learning so much. And the optional or suggested readings are really good.

By Ronnie G

Nov 17, 2020

Insightful and lots of different techniques about writing will find you.

By Srinjoy B

Apr 17, 2021

Excellent course! Looking forward to the next segment.