Back to Advanced Algorithms and Complexity

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Advanced Algorithms and Complexity by University of California San Diego

You've learned the basic algorithms now and are ready to step into the area of more complex problems and algorithms to solve them. Advanced algorithms build upon basic ones and use new ideas. We will start with networks flows which are used in more typical applications such as optimal matchings, finding disjoint paths and flight scheduling as well as more surprising ones like image segmentation in computer vision. We then proceed to linear programming with applications in optimizing budget allocation, portfolio optimization, finding the cheapest diet satisfying all requirements and many others. Next we discuss inherently hard problems for which no exact good solutions are known (and not likely to be found) and how to solve them in practice. We finish with a soft introduction to streaming algorithms that are heavily used in Big Data processing. Such algorithms are usually designed to be able to process huge datasets without being able even to store a dataset....

EM

Jan 04, 2018

As usual, complex arguments explained in simple terms!\n\nSome problems are really tough! (e.g. there's a problem from Google Code Jam).\n\nThank you for this course!

CS

Aug 26, 2019

Very Very Challenging Course , it test your patience and rewards is extremely satisfying. Lot of learning on a complicated subject of NP-Hard problems.

51 - 75 of 91 Reviews for Advanced Algorithms and Complexity

By Liu Y

Dec 17, 2017

Great

By RAHUL B

Mar 14, 2019

GOOD

By SHREYAS S

Mar 27, 2019

aa

By Mark Z

Jun 17, 2019

The course left a good overall impression: the contents of the course are excellent and assignments are relevant. I've only noticed 2 downsides: the videos of the first week were sometimes hard to follow and I had to spend some time googling (which I find strange) (however, the situation changes when a Russian guy appears in the third week: his explanations are very clear and precise) and some assignments, in my opinion, take way more time to complete than they should.

By João H L F

Oct 22, 2018

Great course, thank you! My only remark is that it sometimes assumes that you have lots of prior knowledge on programming in my opinion. I'm a non-tech guy trying to increase my knowledge of the field, and I've had a very hard time trying to find additional resources to solve some of the problems and to grasp some of the content. If we could have a bit more color on some of the harder parts during the course it'd be great.

By Pham K H

Jan 03, 2018

Good assignments, however the lectures (especially linear programing) are too short. The lecturers explained the algorithm in a way that only experts in the subject could understand. I didn't understand the lectures at all until i studied from other sources. Not recommended for beginner.

By Aamir M K

Sep 25, 2019

A great course but really very tough. Every module of the course deserves to be a separate course in itself. One thing that bothered was that the assignments were very vaguely explained and needed lots of searching and self study. Anyways got it after many many months.

By Kehan B

Nov 06, 2018

This module is by far the hardest in this specialization, but at the same time, it is rewarding. The only complaint I have is the Linear Programming part. I wish there was more explanation or some toy examples to go through the algorithm.

By Fabrice L

Apr 05, 2018

A lot of material covered in this course. The assignments are more challenging than in the previous courses of the specialization.

It is overall a great final and a very complete specialization.

Thank for putting together all this work.

By Timothy M

Jun 05, 2017

Learned a lot. great material. Tough homework

I appreciated that the grader demanded good implementations but I think it would have been good to have a little guidance as to how to get there.

By Teguh S

Nov 29, 2016

The problems are really challenging, thank you! However, the instructor is not very active in the discussion forum, which is a pity when you really need help and get stucked in the problem set.

By Jason M

Jul 26, 2019

Very Educational and Enlightening. The only criticism I have is that the starter files generally need more modification than indicated to create a successful program.

By Radim V

May 07, 2018

The only thing I missed in this course (and specialization) was more visual, intuitive approach to explanation. Programming assignments are rewarding.

By Vasily V

Apr 27, 2018

Excellent course. One star less just because there are not very clean test cases for one particular problem among programming assignments

By Bharti S

Nov 29, 2019

Thank you so much. You are doing such a great work but i appreciate if you explain week-2 (linear programming) in detail. Thank you.

By Rihaan S

Apr 07, 2019

Very informative course with challenging assignments. It will surely make your data structure concepts clearer.

By Shreyansh G

May 01, 2020

Great course! , learned a lot of new algorithms.

although week 2 could have been better.

By Lee B U

May 15, 2020

It was good but it should supplement the contents of Linear programming.

By SHAYON G

Jun 03, 2020

very crisp and concise! would definitely recommend

By D V S S R

By Alexander M

Jun 29, 2017

By Niraj S

Jan 12, 2017

While I like the content of the course but I felt too much of topics were crammed into one single course. I had to struggle a lot to grasp the concepts on advanced algorithms by just relying on video lectures so I had to look around in the internet for additional resources. Nonetheless it was a satisfying experience though it took me a lot of time and effort to complete the assignments.