Back to Advanced Algorithms and Complexity

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Advanced Algorithms and Complexity by University of California San Diego

You've learned the basic algorithms now and are ready to step into the area of more complex problems and algorithms to solve them. Advanced algorithms build upon basic ones and use new ideas. We will start with networks flows which are used in more typical applications such as optimal matchings, finding disjoint paths and flight scheduling as well as more surprising ones like image segmentation in computer vision. We then proceed to linear programming with applications in optimizing budget allocation, portfolio optimization, finding the cheapest diet satisfying all requirements and many others. Next we discuss inherently hard problems for which no exact good solutions are known (and not likely to be found) and how to solve them in practice. We finish with a soft introduction to streaming algorithms that are heavily used in Big Data processing. Such algorithms are usually designed to be able to process huge datasets without being able even to store a dataset. Do you have technical problems? Write to us: coursera@hse.ru...

EM

Jan 04, 2018

As usual, complex arguments explained in simple terms!\n\nSome problems are really tough! (e.g. there's a problem from Google Code Jam).\n\nThank you for this course!

CS

Aug 26, 2019

Very Very Challenging Course , it test your patience and rewards is extremely satisfying. Lot of learning on a complicated subject of NP-Hard problems.

26 - 50 of 80 Reviews for Advanced Algorithms and Complexity

By b s v

Oct 19, 2017

Need more test cases for assignments.

By Raunak N

Jul 31, 2018

this course gave me hell of a time

By Ayran T O

Sep 12, 2019

Very difficult but challenging!

By Shaashwat A

Dec 17, 2017

Great

By RAHUL B

Mar 14, 2019

GOOD

By SHREYAS S

Mar 27, 2019

aa

By Fernando K I

Jan 01, 2020

Shout-out to professor Alexander Kulikov that is the only one in the whole specialization who has good didactics skills. He knows how to explain a concept by giving examples and walking through them step by step so the viewer can understand the thought process. Unfortunately, professor Kane's lectures were poorly taught. I understand that his videos are older and maybe the technology wasn't there yet when he recorded the lectures. You'd better off skipping those lectures and going through the assignments directly, learning the material elsewhere.

By Mark Z

Jun 17, 2019

The course left a good overall impression: the contents of the course are excellent and assignments are relevant. I've only noticed 2 downsides: the videos of the first week were sometimes hard to follow and I had to spend some time googling (which I find strange) (however, the situation changes when a Russian guy appears in the third week: his explanations are very clear and precise) and some assignments, in my opinion, take way more time to complete than they should.

By João H L F

Oct 22, 2018

Great course, thank you! My only remark is that it sometimes assumes that you have lots of prior knowledge on programming in my opinion. I'm a non-tech guy trying to increase my knowledge of the field, and I've had a very hard time trying to find additional resources to solve some of the problems and to grasp some of the content. If we could have a bit more color on some of the harder parts during the course it'd be great.

By Pham K H

Jan 03, 2018

Good assignments, however the lectures (especially linear programing) are too short. The lecturers explained the algorithm in a way that only experts in the subject could understand. I didn't understand the lectures at all until i studied from other sources. Not recommended for beginner.

By Aamir M K

Sep 25, 2019

A great course but really very tough. Every module of the course deserves to be a separate course in itself. One thing that bothered was that the assignments were very vaguely explained and needed lots of searching and self study. Anyways got it after many many months.

By Kehan B

Nov 06, 2018

This module is by far the hardest in this specialization, but at the same time, it is rewarding. The only complaint I have is the Linear Programming part. I wish there was more explanation or some toy examples to go through the algorithm.