Back to Introduction to Breast Cancer

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Breast Cancer by Yale University

Welcome to an Introduction to Breast Cancer! In this course, we’ll learn a bit about the leading cause of cancer in women worldwide – from the basic biology of the disease, to risk factors and prevention, to treatment modalities to survivorship. We’ll talk to leading experts, explore some of the milestone studies that have pushed this field forward, and have interactive discussions on discussion boards and social media. You’ll even have an opportunity to let us know what topics you want to cover on tweetchats, so we can try to make the content fit your interests. There is something in this course for everyone – if you’re a breast cancer survivor or the friend/family member of someone with this disease, this course will help you to better understand this disease, and give you ideas for questions you may want to ask your doctor. Maybe you’re a healthcare provider or studying to be the same, this course is a great refresher on where the state of the science is. If you’re a healthcare administrator wondering about how the interdisciplinary components of breast cancer care fit together, or an entrepreneur thinking about unmet needs in this space, or someone in public health interested in prevention, this course is also for you! Are you ready to learn a lot, and have some fun while we’re at it? If so, I hope you’ll join us! Let’s get started!!!...

KT

Jul 16, 2017

Dr. Chagpar is fantastic . the way she presented the information made it enjoyable and easy to be understood. the course material is very valuable and cover most of the topics about Breast cancer.

LT

May 18, 2016

Very informative. Professor is such an expert in her field. HIghly recommend for those who are patients, whose friends, family are patients so that they know better about what they are facing.

1 - 25 of 155 Reviews for Introduction to Breast Cancer

By Christa K

May 22, 2018

Excellent course! Dr Agness Chagpar is very through, and covers the topics of breast cancer well. What I like is how she asks questions that I would ask, Well, what does this mean? What would we do now?" She also refers back to previous information, "Remember when we discussed this study." I found that to be very helpful in tying together the information, and remembering the information-there was a lot of information! Also she did an excellent job of making the information concise and understandable. She made sure to review areas when people might not understand the information, and even included updates where information had changed, keeping the information current. She also interviewed guests in different areas of expertise. Dr Chagpar has obviously spent a lot of time of this course, and has a passion for helping people with breast cancer, and especially has an interest in research. I highly recommend this course.

By Zainab A

Jul 29, 2018

This has taught me about the leading cause of cancer in women worldwide – from the basic biology of the disease, to risk factors and prevention, to treatment modalities to survivorship. This experience helped me develop my intrinsic motivation and examined how I cope with the challenge of adapting to new circumstances. Thank you!

By Kinan T

Jul 16, 2017

By Muhammad A S

Jan 28, 2019

I've really enjoyed the time studying this course. Dr.Anees is quite proficient at her job and makes learning easy.

By lej799

Jul 10, 2018

Great course!

By Kathy K

Jun 01, 2017

I really enjoyed the course, learnt so much about my disease, have had a mastectomy of the left breast and had 13 lymph nodes removed and 1 had cancer, was Grade III with a 130mm carcinoma. I have been through all the treatment and now am on hormone therapy. The course helped me understand more about my cancer and the different treatments I received and why I received them, it also gave me a lot of hope for the future with the clinical trial information and all the critical research that is been done worldwide. Not many people understood why I was interested in doing this course but I needed to know more and as things happen so fast I wanted to understand what was happening to me now. I am very grateful that I have completed the course, Dr Anees was excellent and I thank her also. I believe I am a 68 year old, have just had my 1st 12mth checkup and everything is clear at the moment now but know that it is still a long road ahead so the information I receive is very much appreciated. Thank you an excellent course and allowing me to enrol and complete the course.

By Lesley D

I'm a lifelong learner so I do enjoy studying, but this course was much more than that. I am a breast cancer survivor, now 3 years post-diagnosis. I really wanted to understand more about breast cancer and how it's treated, now I am not so emotionally involved. This course made sense of a lot that happened to me during treatment. It was very reassuring to know that we made the best decisions about treatment even with little knowledge at the time. I can now look back and know that we did everything to increase my survival without unnecessarily impacting my quality of life. The course is updated as new information is available, I will continue to learn! The staging update changed my life, I was so happy to realise that my scary stage 3 would now be scored a much less scary stage 1. It's also been really helpful to have advice about diet and exercise. Nothing extreme needed but I am making healthy choices every day and it's really good to know it will positively impact my future health. Thank you to the whole team behind this, I've thoroughly enjoyed it.

By William B

Feb 12, 2017

This is an excellent course serving as an introduction to breast cancer and the many treatment options.

Dr. Chagpar has done a magnificent job of presenting the material and her passion for the subject is evident.

The world is lucky to have such a dedicated professional present this important health information to students around the world and free of charge from one of the greatest universities.

I would have liked some additional information on diet and alternative therapies as well as proton therapies, however, as Dr. Chagpar explained, there is little data on these subjects and clinical trials are still going on.

If you are interested in breast cancer, then this is an excellent place to start and highly recommended!

By Megan M

Apr 05, 2020

The structure and format of this online course is incredible - making the content engaging, interesting, easy to understand and easy to learn. I originally took this course to learn more about the genetics of breast cancer, a topic of interest to me in my undergraduate degree at UCL. However, this course has sparked my interest in personalized breast cancer treatment and breast cancer management during pregnancy. It has been an honour to learn from Dr Anees Chagpar and I encourage any of you considering this course to just enrol today and do it! You won't regret it.

By Jyoti S

Mar 17, 2019

This course have been a significant mode of educating the very basic concepts about breast cancer. By providing handful of information tagged with relevant images helped in understanding how breast cancer is caused, how is it detected in the body, how the decisions are made in order to treat it and what challenges does the patient post cancer treatment. I am thrilled to have this course taken with my full attention and would sincerely thank Dr. Anees Chagpar for creative presentation and handmade diagrams, making is so much fun for me to enjoy this course.

By Efstathiou G

Jan 14, 2019

This is a great course for anyone who wishes to get a broad spectrum of information on breast cancer, which covers all the clinical, genetic and therapeutic topics in the management of breast cancer patients. What makes the course perfect, is Dr Anees Chagpar's enthusiasm and her ability to explain every single detail in a well-structured and engaging way. Totally recommended for clinicians, health care providers, counsellors, patients and their families, or anyone else who want to have a good introduction to breast cancer.

By Ermias H G

Feb 26, 2019

It is very important course for every one, who wants to know about breast cancer i.e what is breast cancer, from which conditions we may got breast cancer, Its diagnosis, treatment and prevention. This course also provide knowledge about what is clinical trials, In what pre-conditions clinical trials will be conducted and breast cancer clinical trials which was conducted since breast cancer trials started up to currently available BCa trials and there important impacts on currently avalible novel therapies.

By Phia D A

Jul 26, 2017

This course was really helpful in making me aware about breast cancer in a way that was easy to understand. I also appreciated the manner in which it was taught by Dr. Chagpar, from simply looking approachable and friendly, to the visual aids. Before starting the course, I read about how we are only afraid of things we don't know, how taking this course would make us informed and subsequently lessen that fear. That still resonates with me, and I believe this course was able to do that.

By Jennifer V

Jul 13, 2017

I am a nurse who just got a job as a clinical research coordinator on an oncology floor. Having ZERO experience in oncology or research -- this was a WONDERFUL course for gaining knowledge on breast cancer (it is one of the primary cancers I manage). Easy to understand and information that I've went over in the lessons clicks easily when it is brought up in practice. I took notes every lesson (that's just how I learn) and it helped. Can retake the quizzes if you don't pass and it isn't

By niva

Jun 19, 2017

I found this course very informative and useful for the interested learners. I also liked the interviews sessions in between the courses and I am thankful to the professor and really appreciate the way she taught us about the course in a simplified method. I would suggest everyone to go through this course . Every time I completed one week it gave me motivation to move ahead and complete the course. Thanks to everyone for their effort and help.

By Antoinette B

Aug 02, 2016

I have participated in several MOOC courses and this would have to be the most informative and enjoyable. As a breast cancer survivor, a carrier of BRAC1 and community nurse I found it reassuring and invaluable in terms of content; engaging in presentation; sufficiently challenging to keep me focussed and hugely helpful in working with Breast Cancer patients. A big thank you to Dr nees and her co- presenters.

By Angela E A

Jul 05, 2016

This course was just what I was looking for. I am entering into the field of pathology as a pathologists' assistant and this laid it all out in the simplest of terms. Now I can approach each breast case from the gross room with a lot more confidence! Now I feel like I can delve deeper into breast pathology on my own and have a solid foundation to work off. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

By Alyssa K

Nov 22, 2016

I REALLY appreciated this course! I was diagnosed with breast cancer in April and have been working to learn as much as I can in the interim. I actually learned that I need radiation from this course (none of my providers had mentioned it), so I am really grateful to have participated in this. Really good information, engaging professor, and well organized content.

By Esmaeel G

Apr 25, 2020

Dr. Anees Chagpar was just amazing, not only for her great mastery in teaching, but more importantly the way she konw how to connect to the students' mind and keep them on the edge of the table!

It was my pleasure to participate in her online class and I would like her to become my PhD professor for my thesis. Because I am going to work on breast cancer for my PhD.

By Julie K

Jan 03, 2018

Dr. Chagpar gives an excellent overview of many aspect of breast cancer. Starting with anatomy and building upon this base, doctor delves into surgery, radiation, chemotherapy, survivorship and many other aspects of breast cancer care. Not novice in its content nor, good information delivered with enthusiasm and engaging

By Loïc J

Dec 29, 2016

Introduction to Breast cancer is an excellent course ! Anees Chegpar is an awesome and entertaining teacher. She speaks clearly and efficiently.

The course is not too difficult to understand, it is well designed for patients, friends or family of patients and people simply willing to know more about breast cancer.

By Divya V

Nov 08, 2017

I loved the way this course was conducted. The passion with which Dr. Chagpar conducts her classes rubs off on you to pay attention and score well in the assignments. I learnt a lot through this course, and I'll definitely keep coming back to the course material, which will help me in my work in the future.

By Sylvia C P H

May 23, 2020

I am only a high school graduate so i thought this would be difficult for me t understand and comprehend fully. But Dr Chagpar made it so detailed and informative and somehow interactive as well. I understood almost all the lectures fully. Im super grateful i decided to enroll in this course!!

By Helen F

Oct 10, 2016

Mrs. Anees Chagpar has been an amazing course instructor. She managed to keep my interest captivated through lists of numerous NSABP codes and rather unfriendly data, on an issue that is much debated and triggers reasonable concern and controversy and is often viewed as a terminal condition.

By JoAnne F

Mar 16, 2017

l really enjoyed this course. l have taken many courses through Coursera and l have loved them all. l found that Dr. Chagpar is an interesting and fun teacher. l found her easy to follow and understand. l highly recommend this course if you are looking to learn more about breast cancer.