Back to Computer Science: Programming with a Purpose

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Computer Science: Programming with a Purpose by Princeton University

The basis for education in the last millennium was “reading, writing, and arithmetic;” now it is reading, writing, and computing. Learning to program is an essential part of the education of every student, not just in the sciences and engineering, but in the arts, social sciences, and humanities, as well. Beyond direct applications, it is the first step in understanding the nature of computer science’s undeniable impact on the modern world. This course covers the first half of our book Computer Science: An Interdisciplinary Approach (the second half is covered in our Coursera course Computer Science: Algorithms, Theory, and Machines). Our intent is to teach programming to those who need or want to learn it, in a scientific context. We begin by introducing basic programming elements such as variables, conditionals, loops, arrays, and I/O. Next, we turn to functions, introducing key concepts such as recursion, modular programming, and code reuse. Then, we present a modern introduction to object-oriented programming. We use the Java programming language and teach basic skills for computational problem solving that are applicable in many modern computing environments. Proficiency in Java is a goal, but we focus on fundamental concepts in programming, not Java per se. All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

VS

May 14, 2019

Beautiful course. I am a software developer with 10+ years of experience in programming and have never realized depth of actual MATH behind all that I do. Thank you Robert Sedgewick, you are the BEST.

BB

Mar 13, 2019

Excellent course, inface the best I found on any MOOC platform for a complete beginner to Java. Loved it. Would appreciate more coding assignments though. Only week 1 & 2 have those.

1 - 18 of 18 Reviews for Computer Science: Programming with a Purpose

Mar 06, 2019

适合学习,适合初学入门

By Gilad B

Jul 03, 2019

Good course on the whole. Quizzes and assignments often assume knowledge that has not yet been introduced or made clear. Checkers for assignments often require more than is officially stated (such as no "magic numbers", which are not mentioned anywhere in the course materials or assignment directions, and API's that are not specified for given questions). As such, I needed an iterative process of uploading an assignment, seeing why it failed, reverse engineering what the requirements are, and then fixing and uploading again.

By Sayed K

Jun 07, 2019

I appreciate your work and your services. Your classes are very valuable for whom new in the world of IT is. Thank you very much dear professor!

By Saleh H

Jun 05, 2019

Great course with emphasizing on computational thinking.

By Aditya h

May 17, 2019

Great refresher for JAva.

By Hussain

Feb 28, 2019

A very simple down to earth explanation on how to program from a very reputable university

By Preston N

Jun 04, 2019

Good over all, but the quizzes can be a little annoying.

By Glen F

Aug 16, 2019

Excellent course, Thank you Drs Sedgwick and Wayne.

That said, this is not a beginners course: the assignments are not easy, but they teach you a great deal; there is very little 'hand-holding' and you can expect to spend a good bit of time on Wikipedia in order to understand what you are trying to do before you get to writing any code. That is when you learn what the word 'Purpose' means in the title - many subject area are covered in the practice code assignments i.e. real world examples. Also, it is easy to get to a (frustrating) place where your programs work on everything but the auto-grader(A-G), and A-G feedback is sparse. Be sure to look at the exercises in the online book as there are many program examples/solutions that teach you a lot of programming techniques often useful in completing the practice programming assignments.

Aug 06, 2019

Awesome course. Very challenging even for experienced programmer. Prof. Sedgewick and Kevin Wayne do a great job.

By Song, W

Aug 05, 2019

Thank you very much, gratitude to teachers and coursera.

By Yi S

Sep 06, 2019

fun homework assignments that keep me motivated to write efficient code

By Julie C

Sep 15, 2019

I was a total and utter programming newbie (a smidge of self-taught Python, and that's it). I cannot BELIEVE what I can do now in Java. This course takes a LOT OF PATIENCE and tons, I mean TONS of perseverance. Google and Stack Overflow will be your new best friends as you try to piece together what to do at times. But it's amazing what you learn if you stick with it. Interesting topics, and good lectures, helpful readings, and the programs you write are really challenging and cool. I can't wait to take the second one!

By Nick P

Sep 22, 2019

This course was incredibly helpful. I've taught myself Python over the years for data analysis purposes, but I never had a solid understanding of computer science principles like you learn in this course. Learning Java along the way was a nice bonus, and it was helpful to compare and understand differences across different languages. The projects were of an appropriate difficulty, and I would strongly recommend completing them so that you can practice what you learn.

By Xu Y

Sep 22, 2019

This is one of the best courses I had ever had.

By Lompar M

Sep 22, 2019

I liked this course very much. Good materials and perfect lecturers. Good structured and well explained material and interesting exercises ranging from very beginner to challenging.

By Shuyuan D

Jun 14, 2019

Good recap course for an experienced programmer