Back to The Data Scientist’s Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Data Scientist’s Toolbox by Johns Hopkins University

In this course you will get an introduction to the main tools and ideas in the data scientist's toolbox. The course gives an overview of the data, questions, and tools that data analysts and data scientists work with. There are two components to this course. The first is a conceptual introduction to the ideas behind turning data into actionable knowledge. The second is a practical introduction to the tools that will be used in the program like version control, markdown, git, GitHub, R, and RStudio....
Highlights
Foundational tools
(243 Reviews)
Introductory course
(1056 Reviews)

SF
Apr 14, 2020

As a business student from Bangladesh who is aspiring to be a data analyst in near future, I love this course very much. The quizzes and assessments were the places to check how much I exactly learnt.

LR
Sep 7, 2017

It was really insightful, coming from knowing almost nothing about statistics or experimental design, it was easy to understand while not feeling shallow. Just the right amount of information density.

51 - 75 of 6,605 Reviews for The Data Scientist’s Toolbox

By Diego V B P

Mar 11, 2019

"You passed this course! Your grade is 100.00%."

I feel like I have not learned much.

Even though I have taken 100%, as you can see above, the course tackles very little programming. And the final project, it asks to do some activities, but when looking at the forum, I saw that what was talked about, had a level of knowledge that the course had not taught. But worst of all, was receiving financial help from 1/9 courses. Would not it be for the whole course? They are complementary. What will I do with 1 certified course, which as you can see my complaint above, I have not learned anything?

By Thiago F N

Feb 1, 2020

HORRIBLE, SO DAMN BAD!

I've done over 50+ courses online from places like Coursera, edX,Udemy and I've never been across a course so bad like this one, the whole content could have been summarized and turned into a one week part inside another course.

And the robot voice?! Geez, I understand why, but don't, just don't, it makes us lose the interest in the course, thankfully I have other Data Science certifications and I could do all the tests, but damn, SO SO BAD!

By Dr. A D

Aug 20, 2019

Very bad the videos. The automated voice is further disgusting. Further very few classmates so I really had to plead to get my assignments checked by peers and complete the course.

When I contacted the coursera support and asked for help in getting peer reviews they made a change and all my progress was lost. I had to get back again and they made my progress back again.

overall bad course and worse corsera support.

By Md. A

Jul 8, 2020

It is irritating to hear computerized voice and also reading the files. as this is interactive learning place i do not want to read. Also I might read books reading Data Science Rather than listening your computerized voice or your lecture. So i suggest, for improving learning experience, lectures should be classified in two categories. Dynamic lectures should be tought by Human.

By Jeff L

May 9, 2020

I appreciate the thought process behind the automation, but there's no way I'm sitting through that monotonous robot voice. I can just get a textbook and read it cover to cover for that sort of education, and I greatly prefer that over listening to that droning voice.

By Самойленко К В

Jan 8, 2019

A lot of common information, no real examples. may be OK os introdaction, but for scilled student useless. Bunch of very short videos — I'd prefer to see it as a text tutorial

By Steve B

Jun 6, 2018

There is imply not much substance here. Everything here can honestly be integrated into other courses or offered as a free overview course of what data science is.

By Marcelo S

Dec 8, 2017

This course is more of an overview of what is to come. A lot of what is presented here could just be in the format of a word or PDF with a series of links.

By Howie Z

Mar 30, 2020

It does nothing better than just a PDF file... I would appreciate if they actually provide a PDF file, so everything is integrated and no loading time.

By Bee S

May 13, 2020

Having an instructor narrate is extremely important in a course. The robot that is narrating makes the videos unwatchable.

By Ivan Y

Oct 26, 2017

The course contains almost no valuable information. It is not required to spend 4 weeks for it.

By maryam A

Aug 21, 2019

It is unbelievable how one can learn with this boring automatic course. I can not stand it!

By Mohammad A N I

Jan 8, 2020

I do not like the voice in this course . I will can not continue the course .

By Brian D

Nov 7, 2020

Automated voice was terrible. - I didn't even last through the first video.

By Ian H

Apr 12, 2018

Terribly run waste of money! Better off going to Data Camp!

By Decharpol

Dec 12, 2020

Synthesized voice is used instead of an instructor. Boring

By Kishan S

May 5, 2018

It was useless for me; as i have used R studio previously

By eduardo

Oct 4, 2018

Low quality, I didn't learn anything really.

By Steve Z J

Jun 28, 2019

Bad course. All videos are machined read.

By Lia L

Feb 19, 2019

I really don't like the automated videos.

Aug 5, 2018

A lot of information without practice

By jonathan s

Mar 16, 2018

Seemed pretty useless to me

By Normand D

Dec 2, 2015

I would like to report some major issues with the new interface.

1) We don't have access to the slides anymore. This is a major issues since some of the slides content important links. These links are not shown in the transcript (I've double checked).

2) When we try to download the videos, subtitles or transcript, the resulting file name is the same for all content of the same type. More specifically, all videos are named "index.mp4", all subtitle files are named "subtitles.vtt" and all transcript files are named "subtitle.txt". This makes it more difficult for the student to save the files. In the previous version I would only right-click and saved in the right directory. Now, I have to right click, type the right name (which could be long sometimes) and then save the file.

3) In the previous interface, it was possible to see all the threads we were subscribed to. It is no more the case. It is not a problem right now, because there is not a lot of posts, but in cases where the number of post increase, it will be a pain to go through the list of threads and find the ones of interest.

Please ignore the review for now, I couldn't submit my comments without reviewing the course.

More comments may follow later...

By Isheunoziva

Apr 5, 2020

This is a recommended course for anyone serious with data science. It is highly accessible, especially for screen-reader users who may be comfortable taking lectures using text rather than videos. I was able to successfully complete assignments on my own without problems. However, the only setback I see with the course is its over-reliance on RStudio. While Rstudio is a great IDE for R programming, it is not yet fully accessible. So questions like, "Which quadrant is at the bottom right corner" are answered as a guess-work rather than full knowledge. I suggest that command-line options be considered as this is accessible for everyone. Thus, while the GUI option is left intact, there is need to also provide command-line alternative to accomplishing the same thing. Otherwise, this course is perhaps the best when it comes to introducing the concepts on data science.

By Chandra P

Mar 1, 2018

The Professor's are just amazing in their knowledge. The slow bits of information and the way testing is done is so methodical and so well planned. If anybody says they are bored then I am sure they are bluffing, as I found out how enjoyable online learning can me. I am 40, working and a father of 2 children, time is scarce and this online way of learning with financial aid, I could not ask for anything more. Coursera is helping people like me find a hope of learning at their own pace, place and with their financial aid program helping poor people from developing countries like India see the light at the end of the tunnel. I really am indebted to Coursera for changing my life and helping me dream of a career transition even at this age, as in India if you tell anyone that you are studying at the age of 40, they would laugh and make fun of you.