Back to Data Structures

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Structures by University of California San Diego

A good algorithm usually comes together with a set of good data structures that allow the algorithm to manipulate the data efficiently. In this course, we consider the common data structures that are used in various computational problems. You will learn how these data structures are implemented in different programming languages and will practice implementing them in our programming assignments. This will help you to understand what is going on inside a particular built-in implementation of a data structure and what to expect from it. You will also learn typical use cases for these data structures. A few examples of questions that we are going to cover in this class are the following: 1. What is a good strategy of resizing a dynamic array? 2. How priority queues are implemented in C++, Java, and Python? 3. How to implement a hash table so that the amortized running time of all operations is O(1) on average? 4. What are good strategies to keep a binary tree balanced? You will also learn how services like Dropbox manage to upload some large files instantly and to save a lot of storage space!...

PS
Jul 9, 2020

I think the course content and assignments were great. A suggestion though, it will be more helpful if there are more and varied corner cases that would save time spent in thinking and making cases.

KL
Sep 4, 2020

one of the best course i have ever taken on any platform.\n\ni love to learn on coursera platform.\n\ncoursera makes one to think fro solution.\n\nafter completion of course one feel satisfied.

726 - 750 of 750 Reviews for Data Structures

By HASAN N

Aug 10, 2020

good

By Abdulrahman A

Apr 4, 2017

none

By Mohit c

Oct 16, 2020

By Vivek N

Aug 18, 2016

Pros:

Effort has been taken in putting up the assignments.

Cons:

Quality of teaching is very poor and too fast to follow through . Instructors have rushed to present course material . I would not recommend this course . Princeton and Stanford offer much higher quality and presentation on the same topics.

By Jared P

Oct 25, 2016

Some of the assignments seemed overly complicated and irrelevant to the topics discussed. On a few occasions the videos would mention something but never discuss the reasoning. Once I posted to the forum and no one answered so I never asked about the other questions I found during the videos.

By Dhananjay S

Jul 5, 2020

The course is well designed and well taught too but, it has some limitations that the mentors and the faculties are not well interactive with the students as we as a student had to pass through various hardships to pass the programming assignment. The threads are not answered by mentors.

By Cameron F

Jun 14, 2016

I'm honestly quite pissed. The material itself is fine but I have had a terrible experience working with the instructors. I don't think I will continue taking these courses.

I don't appreciate the amount of time and effort given into the programming assignments only to receive practically zero help. First of all, I don't know WHY I'm failing the test cases, I just am. Your program runs through maybe 100 tests to ensure correctness but somehow the instructors decide you should only see the first 3. But then, I try posting on the forums to receive help only to have it removed. Quite frankly, I have spent well over 10 hours at this point on a single problem and I've created my own tests and I have looked at all the very vague hints given in the forums and I still have no clue what to do. I have school, a job, and yet I'm losing all this productivity because I'm running all these damn tests hoping on the off-chance that I catch whatever weird bug it is that's failing my code. All I want is real, concrete feedback.

By Евгений С

Nov 23, 2020

I started this a couple of days ago and have been doing it hard as part of my specialization. I have only one quiz left and on November 23, a deadline suddenly came, despite the fact that I devoted a lot of time to the course and in fact completed it in two days. I have completely closed all 6 courses for specialization except for one quiz of 6 questions in week 4. Now someone has decided that the next set is only in half a year, seriously? All I need is to go through an automatic check of 6 questions without human control and get my cherished certificate. But it turns out that I wasted money? What is worth extending the course? I cannot wait that long and pay extra money. Could the moderators somehow influence this by informing people who can help?

By Noel

May 23, 2017

The coursework for this course is not bad. But unfortunately, I was unable to find any help on questions on their discussion forum by the teaching assistants and professors monitoring the course. The course material was based on deriving and proving standard proofs versus trying to explain the underlying concept. I do not believe that this course was worth my money. All the knowledge I obtained in this course could have been obtaining from Data Structures and Algorithms by Micheal Goodrich and Roberto Tamasia. There were occasional references to stackoverflow among the course resources which I feel is not professional (though a good source of information).

By Nick

May 15, 2017

Wow. I cannot express enough how terrible this specialization is. Only one of the professors speaks english! The lectures give trivial examples while the homework problems are unbelievably difficult. The starter files often times do not set us up to solve the problem in an optimal way. Homework problems cannot be solved when we are only give 1 hour of video lectures!

I will be taking my $$$ to edx.org

By Andrey S

Feb 25, 2018

For some assignments there is ONE tricky test that fails your solution and you are forced to blindly try to figure out this one tricky input(though your solution works for all of the tests you perform in addition to the one listed in the task). You end up spending lots of time trying to figure out this one test case instead of actually learning.

By Jonathan

Oct 12, 2016

Tree exercise had absolutely no relevant video material. Videos give zero context for why data structures are important or when they are used....Should take a lesson from the Stanford course.

By Niklas S

Feb 1, 2020

Extremely difficult for anyone without extensive programming background. Not much guidance available. Would be nice if there was something in between this and the first course in this module

By Supharerk T

May 23, 2016

Worse than the first course. I expected something that is not academic-like explanation, which I can't find it here.

Please bring back those explanations style similar to the first course.

By Viraj D

May 1, 2019

Lack of coding practice and didn't focus on the elaboration of Core Data structure. Better explanation will work.

By Sriparna C

Jun 26, 2019

topics are not explained in detail and the program implementation is not taught

By Rohit V

Jul 31, 2020

i want to read in english for data structure for this courses at this time

By Ping R

Apr 14, 2021

Course 2 week 2 Parallel processing GRADING ERROR test case 2, PYTHON3

By Anh N

Sep 30, 2017

Terrible course, especially on the part of Dr. Kulikov. Terrible!!!

By Ahmad M

Jun 6, 2020

very useful till the AVL trees

it became vague

By padakanti a

May 22, 2020

its really tough for me to do the assements

By RAJ S

Sep 19, 2021

i want to leave this course

By Lei Z