Back to Data Science Math Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Science Math Skills by Duke University

Data science courses contain math—no avoiding that! This course is designed to teach learners the basic math you will need in order to be successful in almost any data science math course and was created for learners who have basic math skills but may not have taken algebra or pre-calculus. Data Science Math Skills introduces the core math that data science is built upon, with no extra complexity, introducing unfamiliar ideas and math symbols one-at-a-time. Learners who complete this course will master the vocabulary, notation, concepts, and algebra rules that all data scientists must know before moving on to more advanced material. Topics include: ~Set theory, including Venn diagrams ~Properties of the real number line ~Interval notation and algebra with inequalities ~Uses for summation and Sigma notation ~Math on the Cartesian (x,y) plane, slope and distance formulas ~Graphing and describing functions and their inverses on the x-y plane, ~The concept of instantaneous rate of change and tangent lines to a curve ~Exponents, logarithms, and the natural log function. ~Probability theory, including Bayes’ theorem. While this course is intended as a general introduction to the math skills needed for data science, it can be considered a prerequisite for learners interested in the course, "Mastering Data Analysis in Excel," which is part of the Excel to MySQL Data Science Specialization. Learners who master Data Science Math Skills will be fully prepared for success with the more advanced math concepts introduced in "Mastering Data Analysis in Excel." Good luck and we hope you enjoy the course!...

RS

May 06, 2020

This was mostly review for me though probability especially Beyes Theorem derivation was new. The instructors provided clear often refreshing ways to look at material.\n\nThank you for a great class!!

VC

Effective way to refresh and add the Data Science math skills! Thanks a lot! At the time of the study some of the quizzes content were not rendering correctly on mobile devices (both iPad and Android)

226 - 250 of 1,720 Reviews for Data Science Math Skills

By Akula B R

Jun 28, 2020

THE COURSE HAS BEEN BUILT IN A PROGREESIVE WAY Y BUILDING BASICS REQUIRED FOR BAYESIANS AS WELL AS SOME PROBABILITY THEORY.

By Widjati R P

Jun 14, 2020

The course was good enough. Maybe, after we did the Quiz on Grading, we were given the discussion. Thank you verymuch, Sir!

By ADDANKI R

Its soo helpful and to the point. It also helped me to revise my basics and quizzes made me to test my potential.

By Alex T

Best way to get started in basic data science maths. A+ for the simplicity and straight-forward explanation!!! Loved it!!!

By Saleh A

Apr 10, 2020

Some of the things I learned were very challenging and I will be reviewing but this was overall a very informative course.

By Harry M

Dec 29, 2018

Thanks a lot! It's a huge important course, really... Thanks. Because I want to become a data scientist, so thanks, again.

By Alvaro I

Aug 12, 2020

It's a good course if you want to refresh certain concepts about math that are also related to the field of Data Science.

By Tyler S D

Jul 23, 2020

Informative and quick, not a big math fan but it wasn't overly painful. Definitely helped my understanding of Logarithms.

By MD S H

Jul 18, 2020

This course was fairly easy but the questions from probability were a bit tricky but doable. Overall it's a great course

By SUDIPTO P

Jul 03, 2020

Very interesting and helpful course.. very knowledgeable experience ...I recommend everyone please enroll this course..

By adarsh K m

Apr 22, 2020

i would love to rate this course 5 stars as it has lead me to enhance my data augumentation and understanding skills.

By Pham V T

Mar 30, 2017

very good knowledge for someone who want to call back prob theory in uni or get an introduction in mathematics problem

By Mr.K.Kumar

May 01, 2020

It is a wonderful courses. This course is very useful to my job. Thank you very much for given wonderful opportunity.

By Haithem M

Apr 15, 2020

Thanks to the professors, thanks to everyone responsible for the existence of Coursera, this course is simply great !

By Noman M

Sep 01, 2020

this course really helped me revise some basic concepts and also corrected some confusions about some basic concepts

By MD. T R

May 01, 2020

The course is very much student friendly. It helped me to improve my math basics for preparing towards Data science.

By Wasinee

Apr 17, 2020

Thank you for giving free course. I learn a lot of things from this course and struggle with the last quiz so much😂

By Kelsey G

Feb 24, 2019

I loved the tag team between the two professors. I would love to learn more math and data science from both of them!

By Harsha S

Sep 16, 2020

Very Informative course, which gives the foundation knowledge of Mathematics required in the field of Data Science.

By Joy G

Nov 13, 2018

This course from course era has given me new opportunity to explore and has given me confidence in data science ,

By Tarun D

Apr 03, 2020

This was a phenomenal course outstanding and I learned very much and my thinking is changed towards data science.

By Mousumi C

Jun 18, 2020

If you want to learn about Data Science Math Skills, this is the best way to introduce yourself to those topics.

By Muhammad Z A

Jun 09, 2020

Best Math Course to Learn Basic Mathematics for Data Science and to have Grip on Data Science / Machine Learning

By Antonio V

A very good course that explains basic concepts of mathematics and probability that are useful for data science.

By Sandip K R

May 22, 2020

Practice quizzes are also good, especially the last one. I think it is harder than the graded quiz. Nice course!