Back to American Deaf Culture

American Deaf Culture, University of Houston System

4.4

About this Course

This is a six-week course providing a historical overview of the American Deaf community and its evolving culture. Theoretical frameworks from sociology are explored. Deafness as a culture and not a disability is explained as participants are guided into the world of Deaf culture....

By CP

Oct 10, 2017

I've gotten an Associate's in Sign Language and learned a lot about American Deaf Culture and this was a wonderful refresher for me! I did NOT want this class to end!!\n\nPlease offer more like this!

By JM

Jun 16, 2017

I am also a CODA, and I am so happy that a course on Deaf Culture is on CourseRA. Very proud of the collaborative efforts of exposing hearing people to the deaf community. ILY!

22 Reviews

By Блинова Алёна Алексеевна

Mar 24, 2019

This course was a huge disappointment for me. The good thing about it is that it is fully in ASL and tries to make a broad lookout on the life of deaf Americans... The downsides, though, are plenty. Overall, I don't feel like I received a complete overview: rather a number of separate pieces of information (legal, societal etc.) that do not clearly link together. Some topics take long to be discussed (e.g. labels) but leave me without a clear understanding of what names are (im)proper saying that it is all very personal. Yet, the test presses me to decide between rights and wrongs. The physiological side of deafness (e.g. why and how it occurs, why hearing parents can have a deaf child etc.) is left out, although it would be helpful in setting the scene. The tests are poorly made: the weekly quizzes have hardly any relation to the videos, and the final one boasts two exactly similar questions, one missing answer option (the question phrase is there instead), and overall copies weekly quizzes apart for a couple of new questions. Sadly, I would only recommend the course to people who have next to no understanding of the deaf world, otherwise they may be bored and confused.

By Florangel Ramos

Feb 20, 2019

It was an excellent course. I had the opportunity to understand more the deaf culture. Among everything I enjoyed the videos and papers for reading. The professor had a very good approach and his own personal experiences were the perfect way to see the course in a practical way.

By Sherilyn Burris

Feb 11, 2019

This course is wonderful! I highly recommend it to my friends and family -- and to anyone wishing to expand their views and understanding of Deaf Culture.

By Kimberly Mathews

Jan 19, 2019

Very informative and enjoyable.

By Vaclav Kratochvil

Jan 15, 2019

Too short or simply? A demo version only? Twice two same question in test, really?

By Maverick Smith

Jan 11, 2019

This is an amazing course! I found it taught me a lot about American Deaf culture and would highly recommend it to everyone.

By Kellyann A. Adams

May 21, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed this class. I am hard of hearing and I knew some of what I learned but Professor Britten taught me a great deal more about deaf culture as well. I really enjoyed this course and all of the information provided. Professor Britten was wonderful as a teacher and very easy to follow. I would definitely recommend this course to many other people.

By Laura Malone

Apr 29, 2018

Very interesting and loaded with information I had not learned before. Thank you!

By Omar Luna

Mar 23, 2018

I learned so much about deaf culture, most definitely appreciated learning about The Rehabilitation act of 1973 along with other laws that were implemented to protect those with disabilities. There is so much we take for granted, this course was great.

By Carole Colomer

Mar 10, 2018

I am hearing and have just started a new job in a deaf related structure and I feel this course has been an awesome entry point in understanding the deaf culture.