Back to American Deaf Culture

Learner Reviews & Feedback for American Deaf Culture by University of Houston System

4.4

This is a six-week course providing a historical overview of the American Deaf community and its evolving culture. Theoretical frameworks from sociology are explored. Deafness as a culture and not a disability is explained as participants are guided into the world of Deaf culture....

CP

Oct 10, 2017

I've gotten an Associate's in Sign Language and learned a lot about American Deaf Culture and this was a wonderful refresher for me! I did NOT want this class to end!!\n\nPlease offer more like this!

JM

Jun 16, 2017

I am also a CODA, and I am so happy that a course on Deaf Culture is on CourseRA. Very proud of the collaborative efforts of exposing hearing people to the deaf community. ILY!

1 - 25 of 27 Reviews for American Deaf Culture

By Tatiana A

Dec 18, 2017

As a deaf (hoh) individual, seeing a proudly Deaf person as an educator about our culture and struggles was absolutely fantastic and wonderful. It's been great for my self-esteem. Hovewer, I find that this course is very introductory, I would like to also have some lectures going a little bit more in depth into certain topics. Also I found that the struggles we still face are not being discussed enough. As a deaf person, I know what my life is like, but I imagine many hearing people will be left with an impression that all our barriers are long overcome and that audism is not a thing anymore. I definitely would like you to touch on that as well.

By Maverick S

Jan 11, 2019

This is an amazing course! I found it taught me a lot about American Deaf culture and would highly recommend it to everyone.

By Florangel R

Feb 20, 2019

It was an excellent course. I had the opportunity to understand more the deaf culture. Among everything I enjoyed the videos and papers for reading. The professor had a very good approach and his own personal experiences were the perfect way to see the course in a practical way.

By Sherilyn B

Feb 11, 2019

This course is wonderful! I highly recommend it to my friends and family -- and to anyone wishing to expand their views and understanding of Deaf Culture.

By Kimberly M

Jan 19, 2019

Very informative and enjoyable.

By JOHN Q

Nov 24, 2017

NICE COURSE WHICH MADE ME AWARE OF SOME NEW TERMS AND SOME NEW CULTURALLY SENSITIVE WAYS TO COMMUNICATE. THANKS SO MUCH.

By jacqueline n

Jan 07, 2018

Thanks for a great class! I learned so much! I would recommend to everyone!

By Aimee G

Dec 09, 2017

This course was very interesting and I love how it was done completely in ASL with an interpreter for hearing people. Thank you for teaching me more about deaf culture in the U.S. I am inspired to learn how to sign!

By Kellyann A A

May 21, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed this class. I am hard of hearing and I knew some of what I learned but Professor Britten taught me a great deal more about deaf culture as well. I really enjoyed this course and all of the information provided. Professor Britten was wonderful as a teacher and very easy to follow. I would definitely recommend this course to many other people.

By Laura M

Apr 29, 2018

Very interesting and loaded with information I had not learned before. Thank you!

By Julieana M

Jun 16, 2017

By Carole C

Mar 10, 2018

I am hearing and have just started a new job in a deaf related structure and I feel this course has been an awesome entry point in understanding the deaf culture.

By Christina P

Oct 10, 2017

Please offer more like this!

By Karla N B J

Apr 27, 2019

Thanks to this course I'm able to conect with deaf people and understand more about their life's style. It was amazing taking this course because of the teacher and the interpreter. Easy to understand and very complete.

By Lucas W

Sep 24, 2019

Great instructor and interpreter

By Omar L

Mar 23, 2018

I learned so much about deaf culture, most definitely appreciated learning about The Rehabilitation act of 1973 along with other laws that were implemented to protect those with disabilities. There is so much we take for granted, this course was great.

By Liliana B C

Jul 25, 2017

Es un excelente curso que habla de manera general de la cultura sorda, de las leyes, las vivencias, el esfuerzo que les ha representado ser reconocidos como individuos valiosos, me encantó poder adentrarme y saber más de este mundo tan rico y acogedor. Me gustaría que hubieran ahondado más en algunos temas, como la educación y que hubiera más profesores para conocer más experiencias.

By Татьяна

Jul 22, 2019

Курс понравился. Немного раздражает вступительная музыка.

Хотелось бы услышать больше о процессах обучения, чтобы сравнить со своей страной.

By Katarina O

Sep 14, 2017

While it introduces many interesting topics, the course is mostly made up of videos that are only a minute or two in length and mention complex and interesting aspects of a topic without providing evidence, expanding on the topic, or providing an optional reading that goes into further depth. Most of this course remains very surface level and general.

By Anne S

Aug 13, 2019

Because I was interested in the topic and had researched it before, very little of the content was new to me. I would love a level II course in the same topic!

By Vaclav K

Jan 15, 2019

Too short or simply? A demo version only? Twice two same question in test, really?

By Блинова А А

Mar 24, 2019

This course was a huge disappointment for me. The good thing about it is that it is fully in ASL and tries to make a broad lookout on the life of deaf Americans... The downsides, though, are plenty. Overall, I don't feel like I received a complete overview: rather a number of separate pieces of information (legal, societal etc.) that do not clearly link together. Some topics take long to be discussed (e.g. labels) but leave me without a clear understanding of what names are (im)proper saying that it is all very personal. Yet, the test presses me to decide between rights and wrongs. The physiological side of deafness (e.g. why and how it occurs, why hearing parents can have a deaf child etc.) is left out, although it would be helpful in setting the scene. The tests are poorly made: the weekly quizzes have hardly any relation to the videos, and the final one boasts two exactly similar questions, one missing answer option (the question phrase is there instead), and overall copies weekly quizzes apart for a couple of new questions. Sadly, I would only recommend the course to people who have next to no understanding of the deaf world, otherwise they may be bored and confused.

By Jenifer M

Jul 10, 2017

This course seems a bit sloppy and thrown together. Much surface knowledge with not much explanation or content. The final test had several errors, including two of the exact same question. I do love that the course was presented in ASL by a member of the Deaf community.

By Erin D

Jun 25, 2017

Not really as in depth as I had hoped for. Also, the intro music for the videos is EXTREMELY irritating.

By Angela B

Jul 14, 2017

I don't understand the design of this course. Tiny lectures that were often 1 minute or less, and each segment began and ended with the University's intro and outro. It makes for a very disjointed and tedious learning experience. Also, no topic was explored in any sort of depth. Much more information was gleaned from the assigned readings and youtube videos. As someone with experience in designing online learning modules, the flaws in this course's execution alone make me glad I didn't pay to take it.

The fact that the lectures are conducted solely in ASL is what drew me to the course in the first place. I'm a new ASL/Deaf Studies/Interpreter Studies student, and who better to lecture on this subject than a Deaf professor in his own language? Although the lectures were jarringly short, the professor's expressiveness and passion for the subject comes through clearly in his signing. I barely know ASL, however, I think it's safe to say that his interpreter did him a disservice. The interpreter is monotone, conveying neither the emotion the professor communicates, nor the sophistication of the ideas presented. The interpreter doesn't sound confident in what he's saying and often stumbles over his words. (Weren't they able to re-record or edit the VO track?) If you watch the 2-hour long video that is part of the week 6 lecture with Mark Drolsbaugh, THAT is what great interpretation sounds like.

Overall, although I think it's a great accomplishment and opportunity to have a course taught in ASL by a Deaf professor, it suffers too much from poor, fragmented lecture design, making it frustrating to complete. For hearing students, the interpretation significantly detracts from the lessons.