Back to American Deaf Culture

Learner Reviews & Feedback for American Deaf Culture by University of Houston

This is a six-week course providing a historical overview of the American Deaf community and its evolving culture. Theoretical frameworks from sociology are explored. Deafness as a culture and not a disability is explained as participants are guided into the world of Deaf culture....

CP

Oct 10, 2017

I've gotten an Associate's in Sign Language and learned a lot about American Deaf Culture and this was a wonderful refresher for me! I did NOT want this class to end!!\n\nPlease offer more like this!

JM

Jun 16, 2017

I am also a CODA, and I am so happy that a course on Deaf Culture is on CourseRA. Very proud of the collaborative efforts of exposing hearing people to the deaf community. ILY!

51 - 61 of 61 Reviews for American Deaf Culture

By Katarina O

Sep 14, 2017

While it introduces many interesting topics, the course is mostly made up of videos that are only a minute or two in length and mention complex and interesting aspects of a topic without providing evidence, expanding on the topic, or providing an optional reading that goes into further depth. Most of this course remains very surface level and general.

By Lisa G

Nov 26, 2019

I didn't like some of the translation of the instructor's signs, there were mistakes. Plus the instructor oversimplified a lot of the instruction as I'm deaf myself so it just felt inconsistent with the general deaf community that I've experienced. He has somewhat of a bias.

By Anne S

Aug 13, 2019

Because I was interested in the topic and had researched it before, very little of the content was new to me. I would love a level II course in the same topic!

By Angela B

Jul 14, 2017

I don't understand the design of this course. Tiny lectures that were often 1 minute or less, and each segment began and ended with the University's intro and outro. It makes for a very disjointed and tedious learning experience. Also, no topic was explored in any sort of depth. Much more information was gleaned from the assigned readings and youtube videos. As someone with experience in designing online learning modules, the flaws in this course's execution alone make me glad I didn't pay to take it.

The fact that the lectures are conducted solely in ASL is what drew me to the course in the first place. I'm a new ASL/Deaf Studies/Interpreter Studies student, and who better to lecture on this subject than a Deaf professor in his own language? Although the lectures were jarringly short, the professor's expressiveness and passion for the subject comes through clearly in his signing. I barely know ASL, however, I think it's safe to say that his interpreter did him a disservice. The interpreter is monotone, conveying neither the emotion the professor communicates, nor the sophistication of the ideas presented. The interpreter doesn't sound confident in what he's saying and often stumbles over his words. (Weren't they able to re-record or edit the VO track?) If you watch the 2-hour long video that is part of the week 6 lecture with Mark Drolsbaugh, THAT is what great interpretation sounds like.

Overall, although I think it's a great accomplishment and opportunity to have a course taught in ASL by a Deaf professor, it suffers too much from poor, fragmented lecture design, making it frustrating to complete. For hearing students, the interpretation significantly detracts from the lessons.

By Блинова А А

Mar 24, 2019

This course was a huge disappointment for me. The good thing about it is that it is fully in ASL and tries to make a broad lookout on the life of deaf Americans... The downsides, though, are plenty. Overall, I don't feel like I received a complete overview: rather a number of separate pieces of information (legal, societal etc.) that do not clearly link together. Some topics take long to be discussed (e.g. labels) but leave me without a clear understanding of what names are (im)proper saying that it is all very personal. Yet, the test presses me to decide between rights and wrongs. The physiological side of deafness (e.g. why and how it occurs, why hearing parents can have a deaf child etc.) is left out, although it would be helpful in setting the scene. The tests are poorly made: the weekly quizzes have hardly any relation to the videos, and the final one boasts two exactly similar questions, one missing answer option (the question phrase is there instead), and overall copies weekly quizzes apart for a couple of new questions. Sadly, I would only recommend the course to people who have next to no understanding of the deaf world, otherwise they may be bored and confused.

By Fletcher P

Apr 24, 2020

It's a good introduction to a lot of concepts, with no follow-up. I would recommend this class if you're a strong self-teacher and just need a place to get started. The lecture videos are really only useful for introducing you to terminology and ideas, and you'll have to learn more on your own if you want to get more out of it. The additional materials, however, are excellent, and well-curated.

By Kira S

Jun 10, 2019

This was an ok class as someone who has next to no knowledge on ASL or deaf culture. I mainly only took this class since I'll be taking a summer ASL class and wanted to get some basic fore-knowledge to prepare myself. I was a little disappointed at how basic the information was as it didn't even seem connected. But the snippets I did learn at least piqued my interest to learn more.

By Jenifer M

Jul 10, 2017

This course seems a bit sloppy and thrown together. Much surface knowledge with not much explanation or content. The final test had several errors, including two of the exact same question. I do love that the course was presented in ASL by a member of the Deaf community.

By Erin D

Jun 25, 2017

Not really as in depth as I had hoped for. Also, the intro music for the videos is EXTREMELY irritating.

By Vaclav K

Jan 15, 2019

Too short or simply? A demo version only? Twice two same question in test, really?

By Carol M W

Jul 11, 2017

It was unsettling to me that the Instructor communicated that he was apartment shopping with his girlfriend. That goes against my morals, that a couple live together without being married. Also, he [the instructor] seemed to be an unkempt person. These things were distracting for me as a learner, and I didn't appreciate them. I did appreciate some of the additional resource material. Thank you,Mrs. Walz