Back to American Deaf Culture

Learner Reviews & Feedback for American Deaf Culture by University of Houston

This is a six-week course providing a historical overview of the American Deaf community and its evolving culture. Theoretical frameworks from sociology are explored. Deafness as a culture and not a disability is explained as participants are guided into the world of Deaf culture....

CP

Oct 10, 2017

I've gotten an Associate's in Sign Language and learned a lot about American Deaf Culture and this was a wonderful refresher for me! I did NOT want this class to end!!\n\nPlease offer more like this!

JM

Jun 16, 2017

I am also a CODA, and I am so happy that a course on Deaf Culture is on CourseRA. Very proud of the collaborative efforts of exposing hearing people to the deaf community. ILY!

26 - 50 of 61 Reviews for American Deaf Culture

By Laura M

Apr 29, 2018

Very interesting and loaded with information I had not learned before. Thank you!

By jacqueline n

Jan 07, 2018

Thanks for a great class! I learned so much! I would recommend to everyone!

By Evie V V

Aug 03, 2020

Some very interesting information interwoven with personal experiences.

By Laura W

Apr 30, 2020

Very informative, interesting, and entertaining. Thanks!

By Arun G

Mar 16, 2020

I like learning more. I want to learn some more!

By Thelma W

Sep 16, 2020

Thank you for helping me to understand

By Meaghan C

Jul 22, 2020

TEACHER WAS GREAT CLASS WAS GREAT

By Lucas W

Sep 24, 2019

Great instructor and interpreter

By Kimberly M

Jan 19, 2019

Very informative and enjoyable.

By Winston A W

By masroor b a

Apr 24, 2020

By Mary C G

Jul 26, 2020

good

By Grace F T

Apr 18, 2020

It was very informative and a great intro course. It could have helped to have more material (each "lesson" is a minute or so long) and make the reading and videos part of the quiz. I recommend doing the homeworks as you get the most out of them and I really like the professor. His interpreter didn't seem to carry the same energy and translations the way I'd hoped, but I still really enjoyed the class and would love to take more like it.

By Liliana B C

Jul 25, 2017

Es un excelente curso que habla de manera general de la cultura sorda, de las leyes, las vivencias, el esfuerzo que les ha representado ser reconocidos como individuos valiosos, me encantó poder adentrarme y saber más de este mundo tan rico y acogedor. Me gustaría que hubieran ahondado más en algunos temas, como la educación y que hubiera más profesores para conocer más experiencias.

By Angelica V P C

Me permitió comprender la cultura y la interacción dentro de ella, adicional conocer las herramientas con las cuales se cuentan al día de hoy .

Gracias por esta formación, para mi es de gran importancia.

"El que no conoce la historia, esta obligado a repetirla."

By Omar L

Mar 23, 2018

I learned so much about deaf culture, most definitely appreciated learning about The Rehabilitation act of 1973 along with other laws that were implemented to protect those with disabilities. There is so much we take for granted, this course was great.

By Yessenia S

Sep 04, 2020

I think this course is really interesting. I recently took a Deaf Culture class and this was basically a summary of what we learned. I will say the history part was new to me. I wish the quizzes were a little longer. I really liked the course overall.

By Luna E

Sep 17, 2020

The course could have gone more in-depth, but it was certainly intriguing and very well done. The personal experiences and course materials were my favorites!

By Татьяна

Jul 22, 2019

Курс понравился. Немного раздражает вступительная музыка.

Хотелось бы услышать больше о процессах обучения, чтобы сравнить со своей страной.

By Bryana S

Jul 24, 2020

The American Deaf Culture was truly and very informative. It is a class that EVERYONE should be required to take. Enjoyed it!

By Lynnette H

This review is for several things:

Content 3 stars: sparse. The videos merely grazed the content. The readings were good, albeit a bit dated. Some of the videos and readings seemed to be filler. They were only vaguely referred to and had no real impact on the 2 question quizzes. Which, c'mon- there are three documents to read in one section and then give a 2 question quiz?

Instructor 5 stars: Very educational and is obviously an expert. I enjoyed the real life examples and his ability to make very good connections between experience and content. I would love to see another course with more content and where this Professor could really shine with more screen time. It was also very cool that the instructor and the interpreter were introduced. Very cool.

Certificate 0 stars, but not the Professors fault: Oh have mercy. I worked harder to just get a certificate for this course, then I actually worked on the course. First, I had to verify my account. What the H, Houston? This is a MOOC. THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE are taking these things. They are by no stretch high stakes testing. So, simmer down on your verification BS. Finally, after 4 photos, I send off my drivers license, which I am not happy about. And then downloading it was impossible. Utterly impossible. I had to screen shot the certificate to submit it for PD.

Review: What is happening with this formatting? Why am I all bundled up here in the middle? Get it together Coursera.

By Lindsay M

Sep 02, 2020

I expected a more in depth exploration of the topics and while the resource materials were more thorough, I would have loved to have gained that information from Professor Brittan. I loved his personal story presentations and just wished the lessons were longer overall!

It also would have been more helpful if the voice over interpretations were recorded asynchronously so the interpreter would have time to more thoroughly relate the signs. So often we only got paraphrases of what was being said. I think it would be more helpful to new learners to be able to associate signs with words and notice speech patterns, but that's hard to do if the interpreter doesn't speak along with the signs consistently.

The quizzes and final were not prepared well. Questions and answers are not clear and force the learner to rely on guessing than real knowledge.

By Corey F

Jul 27, 2020

This is fairly appropriate for hearing people who want to learn about the deaf culture and a very basic history of American deafness. The course itself felt kind of lacking, and the reading materials seem a little dated; having said that, ASL is still a very quiet culture in America (from a hearing person's POV). I did enjoy it, and would recommend it, but I hope there are more in-depth options available in the near future. The more we know, the more likely we are to accept and appreciate and learn how to communicate with this culture.