Back to Design Patterns

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Design Patterns by University of Alberta

This course extends object-oriented analysis and design by incorporating design patterns to create interactive applications. Through a survey of established design patterns, you will gain a foundation for more complex software applications. Finally, you will identify problematic software designs by referencing a catalog of code smells. You will be challenged in the Capstone Project to redesign an existing Java-based Android application to implement a combination of design patterns. You will also critique a given Java codebase for code smells. After completing this course, you will be able to: • Demonstrate how to use design patterns to address user interface design issues. • Identify the most suitable design pattern to address a given application design problem. • Apply design principles (e.g., open-closed, dependency inversion, least knowledge). • Critique code by identifying and refactoring anti-patterns. • Apply the model-view-controller architectural pattern....

ZP

Sep 18, 2019

I have never had a chance to study CS at the university so I am always looking for ways to improve my knowledge - to keep up with fellow programmers. And this course met my requirements perfectly. :)

AS

Jul 03, 2020

The course was really recommended for a good kick start in design patterns and it would be more effective if you follow this course along with head first design patterns book

1 - 25 of 153 Reviews for Design Patterns

By Xavier J

Jan 31, 2018

Tying the assignments to an Android Studio project was overkill; the same principles could have been demonstrated with a SIMPLE java application.

By Vladimir K

Mar 25, 2019

Overall, a good course. The only (HUGE) drawback is that your assignments are being checked by students, who often have no clue what they are grading.

By Matteo L

Nov 12, 2017

Content is ok but doesn't go in detail and often just scratch the surface.

Exercises instead are quite poor. Many errors in the UML diagrams and code examples.

By alireza r

Sep 12, 2019

this course really needs more explanation and going through details in order to be useful. I believe it is just a introduction to design patterns and you cannot learn design patterns by introduction

By Alexander D

Jan 20, 2020

Poor peer-review system, lack of support from teachers in discussions

By Akshit G

Jun 22, 2019

The course is a really good introductory course for beginners to understand new concepts and for intermediates to refresh basic software design patterns and anti-patterns.

By Zlata P

Sep 18, 2019

By Mohan K

Nov 27, 2018

Very very useful to both academician and industry professionals..Thanks Coursera and University of Alberta

By Muhammad U S

Aug 09, 2020

This course provides the right skill set required to develop a maintainable, flexible and efficient software code using well defined software design principles and tested approaches. It effectively delivered all the concepts with useful examples. Looking forward to taking more courses from this specialization.

By Stefan A

Apr 19, 2020

The course was very interesting and provided a good basic knowledge about design patterns. - I had to study Design Patterns and Code Smells also with other resources, as the knowledge in the course is not very deep. But i'ts completely ok to have some inputs for further investigations.

By Mahmoud A M

Sep 12, 2019

It's been a while since I have taken any academic course, however, I found this course very insightful and beneficial in my career. It helped me to fill gaps in my programming knowledge knowledge. I'm intending to use the materials provided as a reference in my day to day activities.

By Yassine E

Jan 29, 2018

Amazing course. I've learned so much about not only design patterns, but also how to make code more usable, maintainable, and flexible as well. I recommend this course to anyone who is interested in extending the capacities of how to write good well designed software.

By Mahesh S

May 01, 2020

very nice practical and theoretical approach towards the subject.

Very well planned assignments.

Few of assignments were challenging, but the guided tutorial help them to understand and solve problems methodically.

I love this course.

By ajay s

Very well structured course. Assignments are good and the mechanism of peer review is very good. Quizzes are also very good. After completing all assignments and quizzes one gets a very good understanding of the subject.

By Sunil A

Jul 03, 2020

By Eduardo I

Jan 24, 2019

Great course, I find very useful and clear explanation about the patterns, principles and code smell, with ti has diagrams and code to explain great all the topics

By Ahmed A A M

Sep 09, 2020

A great course for those who seek good understanding of design patterns and Design principles also provides a good intro for code smells and code refactoring.

By Багиров Ю А

Jun 18, 2020

I consolidated my previous knowledge, and also learned a lot of new things about patterns and OOP in general. Thank you very much, the course is excellent! :)

By Ahmed M

May 09, 2020

i learned a lot form this great course thinks for every one who contribute for such a course and i hope i finish the rest of it's specialization

By LEE C K

Apr 22, 2020

great, lecture notes are well prepared, with hands-on assignment. My design getting more solid and well structured after taken this course.

By madcdevelop

Jan 23, 2020

This course helped me learn about Design Patterns and better ways to organize things at work. It's a good start to learning Design Patterns.

By Yusuf I A

Great course, some of the patterns in GoF's book are covered in the course and some of the code smells are covered as well in a great way.

By Liton M

Oct 13, 2020

The Course was very interesting and helpful. I think it will help to grow up my software development career and drag to the next level.

By Zois A

Oct 17, 2020

This course covers exactly how we are supposed to think as engineers, when it comes to using design patterns and writing clear code.

By LIUZHENTAO

Aug 10, 2020

This course is really content-rich. And the course projects are practical and useful! I am looking forward to the next course!