Back to Behavioral Finance

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Behavioral Finance by Duke University

4.4

We make thousands of decisions every day. Do I cross the road now, or wait for the oncoming truck to pass? Should I eat fries or a salad for lunch? How much should I tip the cab driver? We usually make these decisions with almost no thought, using what psychologists call “heuristics” – rules of thumb that enable us to navigate our lives. Without these mental shortcuts, we would be paralyzed by the multitude of daily choices. But in certain circumstances, these shortcuts lead to predictable errors – predictable, that is, if we know what to watch out for. Did you know, for example, that we are naturally biased towards selling investments that are doing well for us, but holding on to those that are doing poorly? Or that we often select sub-optimal insurance payment plans, and routinely purchase insurance that we don’t even need? And why do so many of us fail to enroll in our employer’s corporate retirement plans, even when the employer offers to match our contributions? Behavioral finance is the study of these and dozens of other financial decision-making errors that can be avoided, if we are familiar with the biases that cause them. In this course, we examine these predictable errors, and discover where we are most susceptible to them. This course is intended to guide participants towards better financial choices. Learn how to improve your spending, saving, and investing decisions for the future....

M

May 2, 2018

This course was a very good sum up of Daniel Kahneman's thinking fast and slow. Definitely recommend to everyone who would like to know more about our flaws or would like to refresh your knowledge.

SK

Feb 25, 2020

Good course! There is just one thing I would improve here - an explanation of the mistakes after the tests are done. This improvement should increase the student`s understanding of specific topics.

476 - 500 of 838 Reviews for Behavioral Finance

Jul 31, 2020

great

By VIDURANSI A

May 15, 2022

good

By Sadhanala A B

Dec 14, 2021

Good

By Snehal J

Feb 28, 2021

good

By Prajyut K

Oct 15, 2020

Good

By Venkatesh R

Aug 3, 2020

Nice

By Mona A A

Jun 11, 2020

GOOD

By Geetanjali

Mar 20, 2020

Good

By star r

Oct 4, 2021

Dec 5, 2016

P

By Kanika A

Jan 1, 2020

The readings for week 2 and 3 could have explained the biases in more detail using examples, so that the questions on the quiz don't look alien while still being challenging. Could have benefitted from Quiz Answers and explanations for weeks 2 & 3, just like the ones provided for week 1, so that we know where we went wrong. Really liked the Jean-Paul Rodrigues questions on Week 3 quiz. Liked how links were provided for supplementary material about Bubbles and Crashes - would have liked similar links for other weeks- to read on my own and enhance my learning. Great course, a very new field for me. This course has gotten me very interested in exploring this domain further.

By Khanh D

Oct 6, 2021

Personally, the reading resources are comprehensive and useful in understanding behavioral economics concepts. However, the description of some parts about US mortgage is really difficult for me to understand. Moreover, I thought that there would be answers explanations for Quiz 2 and 3 just like Quiz 1, but there wouldn't, so there are a lot of questions that I didn't understand why. That's what I feel sorry the most about this course. Otherwise, this course is perfect, I kind of understand a lot of biases and axioms (especially from Week 1). Anyway, you have done a great job in helping more people understand behavioral economics; I really appreciate that.

By Nagendra G

Jun 19, 2017

This is a good course. My first foray into behavioral finance and I am very interested and ready now to dig deeper into the subject. The only reason I am not giving a 5 star is because I felt the lectures could have been a little more detail oriented and not as precisely up to the point as they were. Given that I am a non-finance person, it took me a little longer to grasp a few things. But I like and respect the teachers and clearly they had full grip on the subject.

Highly recommend to anyone to can accept the fact the behavior and biases play a major role in our financial decision making process.

By Harpreet S

Dec 28, 2020

This course is very helpful for people who take decisions in the financial industry. There was quite a bit of over dose of nomenclature and terms, which one is supposed to remember to mark the right answer in the quiz. Instead, some way is to be devised so that the person understands the concept and is able to chose correct option and situation without exactly knowing that heavy term/phrase. Overall, this course made me look back at many of my decisions which I now feel, I could have taken differently. I would definitely recommend this course to all the people who are in the business community.

By Gunnar R

Jun 25, 2021

I really enjoyed the material of the course and the lectures. I think this course points out several useful principles. However, I think there are some things that can be improved here. 1.) The way in which the biases are defined often seemed a bit vague to me and I had to go over it a few times to clarify for myself what they were and what they were not. 2.) More practice questions would help in clarifying the application. Especially, questions with a hard right and a hard wrong would be useful to separate concepts from each other. But altogether, I liked it and I learned a lot.