Back to Lesson Planning with the ELL in Mind

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Lesson Planning with the ELL in Mind by Arizona State University

In this course you will learn how to design lesson plans around the needs of your ELL students and their language level through the analysis of content language and cognitive demands. You will learn how to align language objectives to the adopted standards of your school and content area.  You will learn how to modify existing course materials as well as develop graphic organizers and languages frames to support ELLs’ access to content.  Analysis of second language acquisition theories will be applied to lesson planning. Upon completing this course, you will be able to: * Conceptualize theories of second language acquisition as they apply to the planning of lessons through annotation * Assess the linguistic needs of your students using BICS and CALP * Identify content specific vocabulary, grammatical structures, and language functions necessary for a student to succeed in your classroom * Write language learning outcomes that align to your student’s linguistic and cognitive ability and your school’s adopted standards * Adapt a lesson plan that accomplishes the learning outcomes outlined in the lesson objectives * Modify materials to support ELLs’ access to content * Use a wide variety of graphic organizer templates and language frames to support ELLs’ access to content * Develop activity types appropriate to the cognitive and linguistic abilities of ELLs * Incorporate community and culture into lesson planning...

DN

May 12, 2018

This course was excellent professional development. As a Science teacher, it helped me understand how I can incorporate English language instruction into my lesson plans.

MM

Feb 09, 2019

I had a lot of realizations regarding the construction in lesson planning. I think I need to reflect on how to somehow adapt this in teaching my learners.

26 - 39 of 39 Reviews for Lesson Planning with the ELL in Mind

By Sarah Z

Jul 15, 2016

This helped me with new ideas in my teaching and also the lesson plan templates will definitely help me preparing my classes in future.

By Sergio H S

Jan 13, 2016

Highly recommended if you're into planning English classes for forigners.

By Susan D

By Deanne N

May 12, 2018

By Kriebel D S

Sep 18, 2018

Pretty happy that I enrolled in this course. The nicest and the most interesting one!

By Skeater F

Aug 14, 2017

Great benefit to all teachers teaching English!

By Christopher M

Jun 15, 2017

Very interesting. The lecturers did a good job making the course engaging with review exercises after every one or two video clips. The clips are short enough that you don't fall asleep and the resources for additional reading are relevant . I like the practical tips on how to adapt a text and how to scaffold to make a task more achievable for learners. The bit sized chunks with regular reviews means you can take a few days off and come back to the course when you have free time. My only gripe is the MCQ tests. Some of the questions are ambiguous and it would be helpful if we could have the model answers with explanations so that we could learn from our mistakes. After 3 failed attempts you can't retake the test for 7 or so hours. It's been the toughest MOOC I've done so far but I managed to get through it.

By omnia m

Jan 02, 2016

It was an amazing course but the language was very difficult

By Lucia T

May 04, 2018

Excellent course, loved the

By Mohammed O M

Feb 27, 2018

I have learnt so much how to help my ELL students in class and outside class . Thank you Arizona University, Thank you Coursera

Mohammed

By Sirarpi

Sep 21, 2016

I was really interested in this course and I think the information is useful. But I find it boring, it didn't get my attention.

By Dr M U