Back to Teaching EFL/ESL Reading: A Task Based Approach

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teaching EFL/ESL Reading: A Task Based Approach by University of London

This course explores ways of teaching reading skills in English as Second and Foreign Language (ESL/EFL) using a task-based approach. You will be introduced to the concept of task and the key principles of task-based language teaching (TBLT) and learning. TBLT uses communicative tasks as the key unit for creating language learning activities. You will also examine the role of reading in real-life and in second and foreign language teaching and current thinking about the interface between TBLT and second language reading. You will explore how TBLT and teaching second language reading can be successfully integrated in practice through analysing task-based reading materials. The course culminates in creating task-based materials for teaching reading in your own language teaching contexts. After completing the course, you will be able to: 1. Explain the main components and tenets of a task-based approach to teaching language; 2. Explain the main issues involved in teaching reading; 3. Illustrate connections between TBLT approaches and the teaching of reading; 4. Integrate tasks into your own teaching; 5. Identify reading texts that are suitable for the construction of tasks; and 6. Construct reading tasks and sequences for use in your own classroom....

RY

Dec 20, 2018

The course has refreshed me on how to do Task based teaching in my classroom. The professors and guest speakers are all very helpful in giving new ideas for lesson plan. I really enjoy the lesson.

DA

Nov 21, 2018

An exceptional course which brings up really interesting, thought-provoking ideas about pedagogy and ELT. Well-researched, easy to understand, and has some great assignment topics. Loved it.

26 - 50 of 88 Reviews for Teaching EFL/ESL Reading: A Task Based Approach

By Kashevskaya A M

Apr 09, 2018

Thanks for very interesting course that gave me an opportunity to involve into the world of reading activities and know a lot of useful information about it. And also for the communicative practice with such interesting people that are really good specialists.

By Dr. D C

Jun 12, 2020

Taught by passionate teachers, the course will inspire teachers to design their pedagogical practices in a learner-centric manner. It sensitizes teachers to the perspective of the learners and their varied challenges and needs. Superb course!

By brenda h

Jun 12, 2020

Excellent teaching : the teachers are outstanding, Easy to follow materials. The assignments provided opportunities for students to review the topics. The activities were authentic and can be used as examples in your own teaching.

By Panupan P

Dec 15, 2016

This course is really nice for someone who is working in teaching English as a second of foreign language area. It enhance us to be more understanding in L2 reading context, and I enjoy working on the assignment.

By Deepali A

Nov 21, 2018

By Christopher M

Nov 01, 2017

I found this course absolutely fascinating. It's well designed with interesting videos which will keep you engaged. I will apply the principles to my lessons

Christopher Mo Szu Ti

By Karoll D T V

Jan 20, 2018

Just loved it! teachers do really master their subject, activities and tips are very useful. It promotes collaboration, and fosters self comitment and organisation.

By Kelly R

I recommend it, but the subject deserves a deeper approach that seemed superficial due to the length of the lessons, not making the course superficial though.

By cameron g

Jun 19, 2020

I learned a great deal from the instructors. The assignments were well organized to reinforce the instruction. This was definitely worth the time.

By Litierio G

Jun 19, 2016

Awesome! It was great to see how texts can be approached, through different lens from our cameras in the lessons. I definitelly recommend it!

By Meena B

Sep 25, 2018

This course helped me to upgrade my knowledge about planning reading tasks...Very knowledgeable lectures given by renowned professors!

By Edwin H F H

May 06, 2017

AS we know reading is a real challenge in classroom, but thank to this course we can take many ideas to follow in our schools.

By Adnan k

Oct 05, 2016

It is very useful and authentic learning with advance scope of knowledge under the high professional experts. Very recommended

By Alejandra F G

Apr 25, 2020

I learned so many new things in this course and had a great time working on the assignments. I would definitely recommend it.

By Pooja G

Dec 08, 2019

I learned so much about Reading (language) skill, specially task-based activities and how to incorporate it in the classroom.

By Azumi N

Apr 28, 2020

Theories and practices are balanced and well taught. This course will surely improve your teaching skills!

By Carolina F C C

Oct 14, 2019

It is a brilliant course. Extremely well-prepared, the videos are really clear which makes learning easy.

By Lorenzo R

Mar 14, 2020

A plethora of insights available. Especially remarkable is the breadth of resources at Ss' disposal

By Behnaz S

May 16, 2020

I really loved this course, and learned a lot. Will and already did suggest it to many colleagues.

By Mishkat A M

Jul 20, 2017

I would like to thank the teaching team for such a great course that is informative and engaging.

By Prapassara S

May 14, 2020

I love this course because I can adapt the techniques and implement it in my actual classroom.

By Michel T

Aug 23, 2017

This course is very instructive. I learned a great deal about task-based approach to reading.

By Shiyun W

Jul 31, 2018

This course is very useful and practical, which can help me a lot in my class in the future.

By Diego A H G

Apr 07, 2020

I learned the types of reading tasks and how to implement them in my daily teaching life.