Back to Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1 by University of Colorado Boulder

"Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1" is aimed at learners who are seeking to augment, expand, optimize, and increase the efficiency of their Excel spreadsheet skills by tapping into the powerful programming, automation, and customization capabilities available with Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). This course is the first part of a three-part series and Specialization that focuses on the application of computing techniques in Excel/VBA to solve problems. In this course (Part 1), you will: 1) create macros to automate procedures in Excel; 2) define your own user-defined functions; 3) create basic subroutines to interface with the user; 4) learn the basic programming structures in VBA; and 5) automate Excel’s Goal Seek and Solver tools and use numerical techniques to create “live solutions” to solve targeting and optimization problems. New to computer programming? The extremely intuitive and visual nature of VBA lends itself nicely to teaching and learning - what a fun way to learn to code! No prior knowledge in programming nor advanced math skills are necessary yet seasoned programmers will pick up new and creative spreadsheet problem solving strategies. After you have learned the basics of VBA, each module will introduce foundational and broad problems inspired by situations that you might encounter in the real world. To pass each module, you'll need to pass a mastery quiz and complete a problem solving assignment. This course is unique in that the weekly assignments are completed in-application (i.e., on your own computer in Excel), providing you with valuable hands-on training....

MS

Jan 27, 2018

Great course! I like it goes straight to implementation and is practice-oriented. What could be improved maybe is sound quality of lectures. And maybe it would be great to have some VBA notes in pdf.

PP

Apr 19, 2020

The pattern of course is really nice.It first teaches all the basic information in video and the assignments are designed in a way that all the taught information are used to solve the assignment.

626 - 650 of 711 Reviews for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1

By Richard C

Feb 19, 2019

Nice intro to the basics of VBA. The biggest problem with this introduction is that I don't know what I don't know. The course could have benefited from a discussion of how VBA is used in the workplace by enterprises, and what skills students should learn to quickly become competent. The reason that content was not presented is that Dr. Nuttelman simply does not know the answer to that question, as his background is in academia and engineering. He is working on amassing a set of case studies from students who have graduated, but it doesn't sound like a priority as the course is almost two years old and the content has not been updated with these examples.

By Ondrej P

Nov 21, 2018

Great course to start with VBA. The course focuses on 'how we can solve problem P using VBA', which is suits me much more than typical courses which start with language syntax, data types and so on, on meaningless examples. In this course you can learn all of those basics while actually solving particular problems - and this course demonstrates several ways how to solve different kinds of problems. For people with non-mathematical background some of the topics may seem scary - many problems come from engineering, however they should not be scared. The formulas are provided (no need to do any math there) and student only consumes their result.

By Brittany M

Mar 25, 2020

The course content is solid. The material will come in handy, however, I found the examples to be less than intuitive as I work in auditing and don't have a strong science background. More understandable examples and assignments would be helpful. In addition, I felt that week 4 was a significant amount of material that could possibly be broken into 2 sections. I also thought week 4 would be easier to understand if there was a chart describing the differences between the different types of loops and possibly adding small assignments after each loop to solidify the concepts. Overall it was a good course that I would recommend,

By Achmad P W

Sep 09, 2018

Great fundamental building of VBA Macro programming knowledge and techniques for a person who has no programming or mathematical university background at all. While easy to understand, the course also challenges us to think beyond what is taught, unlocking your mind to logical potential never before experienced. The only minus part is that for a few parts in the course, sometimes the instructor have misread or mistype few information, although it was covered right away with correction marks. Nonetheless, it does not weigh down any bit to this course quality. Highly Recommended!

By Michael R

Oct 31, 2018

I thought the course was excellent. Good level of challenge, well structured and paced. I think the hard test thresholds to progress to the next stage each week are really valuable and encourage revision. There are probably a few developments required to help the user overcome the silly mistakes and oversights that block successful execution of a coding problem or question. Get that worked out and I really think it's going to be really hard to sell this kind of tuition through a bricks and mortar campus.

By Julius W

Mar 29, 2020

Excellent course, although I had prior coding experience. While I successfully completed the five weeks, if I had got stuck somewhere, without posting my answer in the discussion forum, I am not sure who I would have went to for help if I had gotten stuck. Part of the learning process is feedback and the assignments are just yes or no without much direction. I understand the assignments are a bit too open for pre-programmed feedback, but having somewhere to view more hints if I got stuck would be nice.

By Brandon H

Jan 29, 2020

The course was good. My focus was learning VBA and getting to a point of being able to design multi-faceted solutions. This got me on my way. The only item I noted as a downside is the focus on mathematical examples requiring order of operations to be understood. While I enjoyed this I don't see it as essential for knowing how to design solutions in VBA and it created some blocks for others in our group who do not enjoy mathematics.

By victor c

Sep 05, 2018

Very good introductory course in VBA. I have used much of what i have learned in this course to automate certain procedures that me and my team members are using in our gas turbine industry, customer support engineering day to day activities. VBA enabled me to automate these procedures and minimise human induced errors, and generate effortlessly and rapidly a number of solutions to certain straightforward engineering tasks.

By TANVEER A B

Nov 24, 2018

Its a good basic for programming and i really enjoyed. Prior excel experience is required. For working professional like me its difficult to complete the course in 1 month, so your subscription goes into 2nd month and course fee is again deducted and you are left with no option but to continue if you want to pass it. So i recommend organizers to consider 2 months default period for single time fees deduction.

By Vincent G

Jun 07, 2018

Great course for a start in VBA. The screencasts were to the piont and explicit. The assignments were sometimes a little more difficult to follow because the topics were mostly concerned with physics and not business. Also good to know: the formatting of numbers is American. For European students this is valuable information because I failed my first assignment many times because of my E

By Leonel G P

Great course, helps a lot to see how VBA can be an additional tool that can help us to address real life problems saving time and resources. Unfortunately the course in my opinion is not fully appropriate for those ones without previous VBA knowledge and certain complex mathematical level understanding if they don't have time to looking for information and practice a lot by their own.

By Zoltán T

May 02, 2020

Pros: The instructor uses real engineering examples, shows useful algorithms, and he is a great lecturer.

Cons: The examples do not use SI units and it is quite annoying to use miles, gallons, inches and cubic feet in the 21st century. More starter files would be useful to follow the examples, it is not efficient to type in long expressions just to be able to start the coding part.

By Hisham A

Jul 01, 2020

I believe the course over all lacked rigour in concepts explanations. I believe introduction to concepts of programming would have been helpful for those with no prior experience in programming. But, for me, having a very good experience with programming and scripting as being a Linux user for 3 years, this course just gave what I needed. Thanks professor Nuttelman!

By Aeriel N S

Jun 22, 2018

The course was a great refresher for me since I haven't used VBA in quite a while and everything was clearly explained. Although at first I was overwhelmed since some of the examples were leaning on formulas, I was still able to understand all of it because of how Charlie explained everything in an easy manner.

By Werner V

A good course for both the novice as well as the more familiar Excel user. It was fun to delve into a bit of coding and problem solving using VBA. It is a must for Excel user who have unique calculations and problem solving scenarios and wish to automate tasks or even simplify it for everyday users!

By Andrés T R

Feb 25, 2020

I've learned a lot from this course. It gains in complexity with each week, but after struggling and trying to get the correct answer, you feel great and you know that you have learned new skills that are really useful for various situations, specially to solve problems with different perspectives.

By Haydn S

Apr 16, 2019

Great course. Well explained and easy to follow. Some of the assignments could be a bit more specific in what is required (e.g. calling a function within another function - rather than writing out code in the second function). But all things considered, highly recommended.

By Ryan

Jun 13, 2019

Great course. Week 4 is particularly more difficult than the preceding sections. The VBA cheat sheet is very useful for Weeks 1-3, but could be improved to help explain different For Loop structures and common errors when building a For Next Loop. Thank you Dr. Nuttelman.

By Rajesh S

Feb 18, 2018

This course is OK for Part 1. I think it would be better if the course was more focused on programming. That is, I would have preferred that the course have more content related to vba syntax. (Perhaps this is in Part II, which I am not sure that I'll take.)

By Salvador R M

Aug 27, 2020

Excellent course for beginners trying to learn a new way to work in Excel with VBA. The subjects are well explained and the assignments have the adecuate difficulty to reinforce the information learned

By Grégoire P

Sep 08, 2019

Very good teaching by Prof. Nuttelman, who explains new notions very clearly. On the improvement side, I would perhaps suggest adding a few exercises to vary a bit the problems students have to solve.

By Rodolfo P L

Feb 22, 2018

The screencasts are very clear and concise but the assignments were too easy. I would suggest adding some assignments related with finance (e.g., bond calculators and portfolio optimization problems).

By Ingrid F

Sep 21, 2018

the course was very informative and helpful.

However, it would be easier to concentrate on VBA if people who don't use mathematical formulas that much would not have to deal with maths that much.

By CHAN, B K

Aug 02, 2018

Relatively easy, I cleared 3 weeks within 2 hours, and completed the whole module in less than 3 days. I did not spend more than 5 hours each of the 3 days. The honors exercise was interesting.

By Evan M

Mar 29, 2020

I like this course. Very helpful. But, the quizzes are "tricky" meaning the content is not too hard, but the questions are tricky. The assignments are very good, much better than the quizzes.