Back to Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1 by University of Colorado Boulder

"Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1" is aimed at learners who are seeking to augment, expand, optimize, and increase the efficiency of their Excel spreadsheet skills by tapping into the powerful programming, automation, and customization capabilities available with Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). This course is the first part of a three-part series and Specialization that focuses on the application of computing techniques in Excel/VBA to solve problems. In this course (Part 1), you will: 1) create macros to automate procedures in Excel; 2) define your own user-defined functions; 3) create basic subroutines to interface with the user; 4) learn the basic programming structures in VBA; and 5) automate Excel’s Goal Seek and Solver tools and use numerical techniques to create “live solutions” to solve targeting and optimization problems. New to computer programming? The extremely intuitive and visual nature of VBA lends itself nicely to teaching and learning - what a fun way to learn to code! No prior knowledge in programming nor advanced math skills are necessary yet seasoned programmers will pick up new and creative spreadsheet problem solving strategies. After you have learned the basics of VBA, each module will introduce foundational and broad problems inspired by situations that you might encounter in the real world. To pass each module, you'll need to pass a mastery quiz and complete a problem solving assignment. This course is unique in that the weekly assignments are completed in-application (i.e., on your own computer in Excel), providing you with valuable hands-on training....

MS

Jan 27, 2018

Great course! I like it goes straight to implementation and is practice-oriented. What could be improved maybe is sound quality of lectures. And maybe it would be great to have some VBA notes in pdf.

LR

Jul 05, 2018

I'm not one to write reviews - this course is fantastic and a game changer. Prof Nuttelman is a very engaging speaker and makes what could seem a very dry topic come across as interesting, fascin

1 - 25 of 316 Reviews for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1

By Juan G

Jan 03, 2019

Very comprehensive course on VBA with lots of comments and available files to follow 'by doing' most of the examples. Engineer-oriented examples which are rumping up their complexity.

At the end of each Week, there is a quiz with detailed comments to understand each question and at the end of each Week there is also an Assignment which has to be well sorted out!

By Mruthyunjaya H S

Apr 20, 2019

The instructor makes it comfortable for any person to understand the concept.

I'm completely new to coding. Every lesson is well explained and practice courses help a lot. Exams make sure that we have actually grasped the concept.

By Marija S

Jan 27, 2018

By Leland R

Jul 05, 2018

By Andrew W

May 16, 2019

This is a very good introductory course to Excel VBA. I enjoyed the professor and the assignments. He also seems to enjoy the material. My only (minor) critique would be that I think that there were a number of places where what was emphasized in the reading and lectures was fairly different than what was asked on the quizzes. The quizzes cover much more of the minutiae than you might be led to believe by the screencasts. Once you've taken a few of the quizzes, though, you start to know the types of things to look for in the lectures. I would highly recommend this class and intend to take the others in the series.

By Zhou P

May 02, 2019

The course materials are very well prepared and idiot-proof, easy-to-follow. How scarce is such a tutor that who is really putting students' shoes on to provide such insightful screencasts. He even went on extra miles to share with us the reflection on the quiz/homework so as to ensure you really digest what he'd taught. In fact I found it rather useful that I got to clear the ambiguities that blur the boundary between understand and not-understand, not just to get a passing marks. True learning beyond getting certs, I would strongly recommend this course.

By Rob B

Jan 20, 2019

Overall a great course. The algebra in the first two weeks seemed a little overly intense and unnecessary. But once you get through that, the course becomes more approachable. I feel like I received really good exposure to the concepts, but will definitely need more time and experience to master them.

By Volker G

Dec 30, 2018

Nice one. Since I work in a business environment and university is long ago, I was sometimes stuggling with the maths.

Maybe a little more layout for input / output interface like in the intro would have been nice for my kind of usage. But overall nice course.

With the setup of a test and an assignement you really learn something and not just click through. Well done.

By Joshua F

Jan 04, 2019

The couse is really good. It is just lacking a little more practice exercises :D

By Heidi B

May 17, 2018

This a a good class for learning the basics of VBA. It would have been nice to have some reference material to look back on other than the screen casts/transcript.

By Ali S

Nov 18, 2018

Excellent! This course is able to provide a perfect balance between teaching the basic skills and providing challenging problems to test your skills

By Esteban C A

Dec 18, 2018

Strongly recommend

By Andres E S G

Dec 22, 2018

Excellent course! very useful! very popular!

By Che X

Dec 09, 2018

very clear instruction and easy to follow.

covered many topics of VBA, very useful in my daily work.

By Emmanuel S

Dec 27, 2018

Great course. Very useful for data analytics

By Philip K T H

Dec 26, 2018

Pace is easy. Assignment is effective to reinforce the concept learnt

By Adrian V W

Dec 26, 2018

After having tried all the exercices by my own, I am now able to write some subroutines and functions in Excel, which is quite cool.

By Morufu A A

Dec 26, 2018

This course was very tasking and interesting. I almost gave up at the middle but was determined to finish it. I would recommend this course to anyone who wants to dig into Excel VBA. This course is rich in content. Thank you Charlie. Thank you Coursera.

By Meenu S

Nov 21, 2018

Brilliant course content and delivery. Specially love the assignments and grading methodology !

The app makes it remarkably easier to learn "on the go".

By Diego A Q

Nov 09, 2018

It's a good introduction to Excel VBA if you are completely new to it. Week 4 and 5 are certainly more intense. Basic mathematics (not so basic at week 5) are required for this in order to have a lighter experience, although I suppose people with mathematics affinity are the ones who do this kind of courses.

Anyways, I definitely learned a lot doing this course. As I work everyday with excel but never tried anything with macros, I have been kind of limited to use excel's full potential. I would actually like to continue with part II.

By Charlie H

Nov 27, 2018

Very well-organized and well-paced. I am a corporate accountant and I find VBA techniques incredibly useful in my daily work, and this is the first online course that I find helpful for someone without any coding experience to utilize

By Martin S

Nov 28, 2018

The best course of programming I have ever had. Everything is very easy explained in an interesting way. I hope this course helps me for my future career.