Back to Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1 by University of Colorado Boulder

"Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1" is aimed at learners who are seeking to augment, expand, optimize, and increase the efficiency of their Excel spreadsheet skills by tapping into the powerful programming, automation, and customization capabilities available with Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). This course is the first part of a three-part series and Specialization that focuses on the application of computing techniques in Excel/VBA to solve problems. In this course (Part 1), you will: 1) create macros to automate procedures in Excel; 2) define your own user-defined functions; 3) create basic subroutines to interface with the user; 4) learn the basic programming structures in VBA; and 5) automate Excel’s Goal Seek and Solver tools and use numerical techniques to create “live solutions” to solve targeting and optimization problems. New to computer programming? The extremely intuitive and visual nature of VBA lends itself nicely to teaching and learning - what a fun way to learn to code! No prior knowledge in programming nor advanced math skills are necessary yet seasoned programmers will pick up new and creative spreadsheet problem solving strategies. After you have learned the basics of VBA, each module will introduce foundational and broad problems inspired by situations that you might encounter in the real world. To pass each module, you'll need to pass a mastery quiz and complete a problem solving assignment. This course is unique in that the weekly assignments are completed in-application (i.e., on your own computer in Excel), providing you with valuable hands-on training....

MS

Jan 27, 2018

Great course! I like it goes straight to implementation and is practice-oriented. What could be improved maybe is sound quality of lectures. And maybe it would be great to have some VBA notes in pdf.

PP

Apr 19, 2020

The pattern of course is really nice.It first teaches all the basic information in video and the assignments are designed in a way that all the taught information are used to solve the assignment.

26 - 50 of 765 Reviews for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1

By Matthew A

May 03, 2018

Fantastic course, 5-stars!

Possible improvements:

1) In section 5 when building the algorithms you could also add a check for convergence using a tolerance. The 20x for loop seems somewhat arbitrary. This is pretty easy to do, but might be a nice addition for people who haven't coded these algorithms before.

2) Not sure if this is possible, but there's a way to pass a function as a variable in VBA, then in section 5 you could build more generalized solver/optimization algorithms (as opposed to having to re-code the algorithm for each new function you encounter).

Again, great class learning a ton!

By Murtuza B

Dec 18, 2019

Really enjoyed the journey. Material is presented in a very lucid way. Also the grading style is innovative. It feels like you are finding the code to the lock which will lead you to the final treasure. One thing I would like to tell you all is, please complete the week 5 as well (it is optional). The real fun starts at week 5. The new and the fun things about excel is in week 5 material and tests. Also week 5 has all the real life applications of what you have learnt previously. I wish you all good luck. Also I would like to thank the creator for his time and great service.

By Archana M

Jun 17, 2020

The course was very insightful. Prof. Nuttleman kept up with his words of providing a challenging learning environment. The quizzes and assignments were superb! They really get your mind into thinking about solving a problem. Another good part is working with excellent examples - also to note that Prof. Nuttleman subtly demonstrates a live example by making the grading part itself in VBA! The course can be relatively easier for someone who already knows some programming, but it can also be a good path to begin with programming. I would totally recommend this course!

By Vinayak N

Jul 30, 2018

It taught me a lot of things in a short period of time and I look forward to using the knowledge in my day to day life for doing tedious things in an effective manner with short amount of time.

The instructor was concise and cogent and the assignments are designed to test your understanding of the concepts pretty nicely.

I feel the number of questions per assignment could be increased to give more practise or at least optional questions should be provided for interested people for the same purpose. Apart from that, great work, loved the course, Thanks Charlie!

By Natalia M

Mar 19, 2019

This is a very good course! The best online course I've ever had. The structure, the order in which material is given, the difficulty of the course are very thought over. And the most important, I feel that the course is very effective. You just need continue practicing VBA (doesn't matter here or somewhere else) to improve the skills acquired here. Because those are very well developed here. I would highly recommend this course to anybody who is looking for the opportunity to learn VBA and enhance Excel skills. But I am heading to the second part! Yeah!

By Kathleen H

Mar 26, 2019

This is a fantastic course. As someone who has fumbled my way and self taught myself this was a great back to base camp that has already taught me some good tricks that are invaluable in my day job (as an engineer in the utility sector I'm always moving data between spreadsheets). Looking forward to seeing this specialization through. Professor Charlie is a great teacher - I would have been lucky to have him at undergrad. The format is great and the visual aids during the screencasts are amongst the best I've seen (I've done a lot of online learning.).

By Diego A Q

Nov 09, 2018

It's a good introduction to Excel VBA if you are completely new to it. Week 4 and 5 are certainly more intense. Basic mathematics (not so basic at week 5) are required for this in order to have a lighter experience, although I suppose people with mathematics affinity are the ones who do this kind of courses.

Anyways, I definitely learned a lot doing this course. As I work everyday with excel but never tried anything with macros, I have been kind of limited to use excel's full potential. I would actually like to continue with part II.

By Sean W

Mar 13, 2018

This is a great course if you really want to use VBA beyond just recording a bunch of mouse clicks. I was already pretty familiar with Excel and some surface level VBA stuff. Thanks to this course, I have a much better handle on the available features of VBA to the point where I have already been able to implement some valuable things at work. I would imagine that this would be the case even for an Excel beginner. I would highly recommend this course for a fairly wide range of experience levels. I'm looking forward to Part 2.

By Jon F

Nov 30, 2018

Excellent! The best part was Week 5, the honors section of the course. I strongly recommend doing the honors section – I learned almost as much in the honors section as I did in the prior four weeks. Prof. Nuttelman is a very good lecturer and he has a very practical and understandable approach to teaching. I always knew this thing called “VBA” was there in Excel . . . if I had known how powerful it was I would have taken this class a long time ago. I am looking forward to Prof. Nuttelman’s second Excel/VBA course.

By Wilfried K

Mar 18, 2020

I encourage everyone who wants to learn something valuable to take this course. The teacher takes the time to explain the fundamentals of VBA programming thoroughly. You have the opportunity to test your knowledge at the end of most teaching videos, and this encourages you to stay focused. The quizzes and assignments are adapted to the level of the learner and in conformity with the topics covered.

Thank you Mr Nuttelman for your engagement.

Note : This is the first time that I complete the course on Coursera.

By Jéssica M

Jan 27, 2018

Great course! I'm already familiar with some coding but I wanted simple solutions for some reports I run daily in excel. I was looking for something exactly like this: simple, useful and well structured. I think the course is perfect for small projects and daily solutions in the office as well. The magic of VBA/Excel is it can be applied for most of the knowledge areas. I would recommend for people who want automate repetitive tasks and optimize their work! Great job Charlie!

By Suresh R

Jul 31, 2020

It was a great learning experience. I knew the basics of computer programming for a long time. But I was tired of running my codes in some compilers with those unlikely black screen. And I didn't get any chance or time to learn app development or any other advanced programming to cool and fancy stuff for real-world problem-solving, since my stream of study is not related to computer science. Thanks to this course came to the rescue to help me continue with my coding skills.

By Jhon F C M

Aug 01, 2020

Hello there! That was an amazing course! I learned a lot, the screencasts were very helpful and very well explained. However, maybe share a STARTER document for every screencast would be very helpful too. I mean, a document to start to programming and follow the steps. Or maybe the code as a .txt file just to compare if we are going good, we know that there are a lot of ways to do the things.

These are just thoughts, the course was amazing. Congratulations and thanks!

By Dora L

Oct 20, 2018

I like the sequence of every class. It starts from the easiest part. It increase the difficulty gradually.

Suggestion to the course is: when we are doing some exercise to use VBA, we are not clear about the practice. Why do we need to do it? Is it just for us to get more familiar with the knowledge or will we use it in the future? Where will we use it? It will be more interesting when the learner knows what will they use it to do in their daily life and work.

By Richard M

Jul 09, 2018

Concise treatment of VBA fundamentals and demonstrating the power and value of the langue. I had struggled with self-taught VBA for some time, but this course led me through to a coherent understanding of how to usefully apply VBA to my Excel projects. The staff were also very helpful with hints that helped me past the few snags I encountered on the way. I recommend Week 5 - its pretty tough (for me, at least) but it really pulls a lot together. Many Thanks

By Tim M

Jun 16, 2018

Absolutely enjoyed the course! Charlie is a great teacher who conveys the content in an understandable manner. The length of the videos is neither too short nor too long. Also I really liked the assignments which are challenging without getting too frustrating. As for improvements, you could maybe spice up the PowerPoint slides in the videos a little (colors, background etc.). Other than that everything's perfect about the course, highly recommend it!

By Omar J

Apr 07, 2018

A very useful course for automating work and calculations in Excel by using VBA. The instructor even included debugging techniques that will come really handy as the course progresses and the code becomes more complex. The optional week 5 deals with using iterative methods to find roots and minimums of equations. If your work relys on optimizing and solving equations you can see how the last week, although optional, would be a must in your case.

By Jack M

Mar 28, 2019

The course was exactly what I wanted. Started with the very basics of VBA (along with a review of some advanced excel techniques) before transitioning in to more advanced VBA functions. Definitely got in to some mathematical functions at the end that I haven't dealt with since college (8+ years ago) but it wasn't too bad. The screen casts are all under 10 minutes but still very informative. Wasn't much fluff, just all really good content.

By Hayot R

Aug 19, 2018

I think it's a great introduction to coding for any beginner in coding. And a great introduction to VBA for people used to coding.

To me as an engineering student i sometimes passed some parts of videos since i already knew how to code in various language and knew the concept of loops, if-else, etc.

However it was necessary for me to start with this course to learn the particular syntax of VBA language compared to language I am used to.

By Mauricio M

Aug 26, 2019

Yes! Python is more powerful, true! But the MS Office package rules when it comes to office jobs. VBA comes included in that package and normally people love Excel. You could be the "sensei" / master of Excel by learning Visual Basic in Excel, Outlook, Power Point or Word.

My personal opinion: I have an exciting job cause I knew Excel when I was an intern. Now with VBA I automatize my knowledge. This course is very recommended.

By Tudor S

Jan 29, 2018

I truly recommend this course to beginners in VBA (although prior experience with other language is very helpful). Charlie is a very good instructor, he makes every step of the learning curve seem manageable. His quizzes and assignments cover all material, so make sure you know it all before doing them! This is probably the first Coursera course that is similar in difficulty and richness-of-content to a university course.

By Albert V R

Apr 08, 2018

I have found this course extremely interesting and I have loved week 5 too, which is optional.

I always wanted to learn VBA and I have tried on my own several times but I didn’t succeed. This course has helped me to overcome this initial barrier and know I feel confident to continue learning VBA.

The professor has always been there to help, and I have felt much accompanied in my learning experience.

Highly recommended!

By Lei W I

Jul 11, 2019

It introduces the concept of VBA very well, I have previously learnt a bit of it and know some programming so it is a bit slow for me but I think for a complete newbie the instructor articulates very well. Also it helps students by introducing the use of flow diagram so it is not just about writing the codes but also have a plan before starting to write the code and I think it helps a lot when things get complicated.

By Babak G

Jan 15, 2019

I found these courses very useful. The courses exceed above and beyond any other online Excel VBA course. The instructor is a university professor who is a subject-matter expert, and explains the course material in a very simple and understandable way. Part three is a project-based course that helps learners use the knowledge gained into real projects and helps solidify the learning. I highly recommend this course.

By Irakli B

Mar 14, 2020

I liked the course very much, it was really informative and great for those who aren't familiar with VBA at all and want to step in this "field", Definitely going to take part 2 and I strongly recommend this course to anyone interested in VBA. One little complaint as the lecturer said himself is that there are fewer financial related cases than I'd like, but it doesn't obstruct the quality of the course at all.