Back to Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1 by University of Colorado Boulder

"Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1" is aimed at learners who are seeking to augment, expand, optimize, and increase the efficiency of their Excel spreadsheet skills by tapping into the powerful programming, automation, and customization capabilities available with Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). This course is the first part of a three-part series and Specialization that focuses on the application of computing techniques in Excel/VBA to solve problems. In this course (Part 1), you will: 1) create macros to automate procedures in Excel; 2) define your own user-defined functions; 3) create basic subroutines to interface with the user; 4) learn the basic programming structures in VBA; and 5) automate Excel’s Goal Seek and Solver tools and use numerical techniques to create “live solutions” to solve targeting and optimization problems. New to computer programming? The extremely intuitive and visual nature of VBA lends itself nicely to teaching and learning - what a fun way to learn to code! No prior knowledge in programming nor advanced math skills are necessary yet seasoned programmers will pick up new and creative spreadsheet problem solving strategies. After you have learned the basics of VBA, each module will introduce foundational and broad problems inspired by situations that you might encounter in the real world. To pass each module, you'll need to pass a mastery quiz and complete a problem solving assignment. This course is unique in that the weekly assignments are completed in-application (i.e., on your own computer in Excel), providing you with valuable hands-on training....

MS

Jan 27, 2018

Great course! I like it goes straight to implementation and is practice-oriented. What could be improved maybe is sound quality of lectures. And maybe it would be great to have some VBA notes in pdf.

LR

Jul 05, 2018

I'm not one to write reviews - this course is fantastic and a game changer. Prof Nuttelman is a very engaging speaker and makes what could seem a very dry topic come across as interesting, fascin

201 - 225 of 339 Reviews for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1

By Manuel Á

Sep 06, 2018

The course explained very well basic and more advanced concepts of VBA and how to use them in real life situations. Very much looking forward to the next part!

By Alejandro C T

Aug 08, 2018

Great explanations and lots of practical applications!

By Максим

Aug 08, 2018

Great course for those who are familiar with programming and desire to dive into VBA quickly. It would be much better if enhanced with business examples however it is still good for starting to solve business analysis tasks and automating the basics of business routine.

By lindsay j

Aug 08, 2018

I've taken quite a few courses on Coursera and this has easily been the best one. I use Excel/VBA every day for my job and have taken away more than a few concepts to apply just by taking Part 1. Looking forward to taking Parts 2 and 3.

By Lauren K

Aug 08, 2018

Very informative and easy to follow. The instructor is responsive, and informs the students when he will be unavailable to respond to emails or the discussion boards.

By Parul S

Jul 23, 2018

After taking this course, one can save hours of wrangling with syntax errors and debugging.

Excellent course!

By shantanu c

Jul 24, 2018

I am preparing for masters in Operations Research specializing in Finance. I heard Excel and VBA is still very popular in finance, so I wanted a good reference material to wet my toes. But this course was much more than I thought I wanted to learn and it helped in achieving more than my aspirations through a very well thought out content and assessments. Well done Professor Charlie!!!

By Emily H

Jul 24, 2018

very helpful... good pace to work at with just enough interactive tasks.

By Elliina K

Jul 30, 2018

This course helped me a lot to remind the main teqhniques of VBA macro functions. Heads

By Siddhartha K

Jul 30, 2018

Very easy to grab concepts laid out in a simple fashion.

By Vinayak

Jul 30, 2018

It taught me a lot of things in a short period of time and I look forward to using the knowledge in my day to day life for doing tedious things in an effective manner with short amount of time.

The instructor was concise and cogent and the assignments are designed to test your understanding of the concepts pretty nicely.

I feel the number of questions per assignment could be increased to give more practise or at least optional questions should be provided for interested people for the same purpose. Apart from that, great work, loved the course, Thanks Charlie!

By Jiahang L

May 02, 2019

The lecture is well structured, and the knowledge I learnt here is very applicable and practical to my day-to-day work

By Daniel T

Apr 20, 2019

The best introductory course for Macros. It teaches from the beggining and very detailed and sooner you're programming great things!

By Kristopher M J

Apr 24, 2019

Awesome course

By Carl E S I

May 10, 2019

A challenging course that will help you learn basic programming logic, language, and problem solving skills.

By Zhen G

May 11, 2019

I often need to create trackers/templates/reports for different purposes and VBA is a great starting point to have reports/processes automated. This is a very organized course that put things in orders. Super useful!

By Ramez H

Apr 26, 2019

I am a Mechanical Engineer. This course helped me a lot with better using excel to perform analysis.

By Paula J

Apr 28, 2019

Great course! Very interesting! Thank you, Prof.

Charlie Nuttelman!

By Jose P F

Jun 21, 2019

Excellent course, it provided me with lots of helpful tips to use in Excel and VBA. Can't wait to put this new knowledge to use.

By KOFFI N A

Jun 25, 2019

Great Course! Before finishing the entire course, i was able to create functions and subs that permit me to automate some tedious calculations.

By Karen C

Jun 26, 2019

This was a fun course, and I learned a lot of good basics. It is presented in a logical and incrementally more difficult sets of lessons. I enjoyed the examples and demos.

By varun b

Jun 11, 2019

Very good course for beginners

By Michał K

Jun 30, 2019

Very good course. I think a lot of issuses covered in this course will be helpful in work.