Back to Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1 by University of Colorado Boulder

"Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1" is aimed at learners who are seeking to augment, expand, optimize, and increase the efficiency of their Excel spreadsheet skills by tapping into the powerful programming, automation, and customization capabilities available with Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). This course is the first part of a three-part series and Specialization that focuses on the application of computing techniques in Excel/VBA to solve problems. In this course (Part 1), you will: 1) create macros to automate procedures in Excel; 2) define your own user-defined functions; 3) create basic subroutines to interface with the user; 4) learn the basic programming structures in VBA; and 5) automate Excel’s Goal Seek and Solver tools and use numerical techniques to create “live solutions” to solve targeting and optimization problems. New to computer programming? The extremely intuitive and visual nature of VBA lends itself nicely to teaching and learning - what a fun way to learn to code! No prior knowledge in programming nor advanced math skills are necessary yet seasoned programmers will pick up new and creative spreadsheet problem solving strategies. After you have learned the basics of VBA, each module will introduce foundational and broad problems inspired by situations that you might encounter in the real world. To pass each module, you'll need to pass a mastery quiz and complete a problem solving assignment. This course is unique in that the weekly assignments are completed in-application (i.e., on your own computer in Excel), providing you with valuable hands-on training....

MS

Jan 27, 2018

Great course! I like it goes straight to implementation and is practice-oriented. What could be improved maybe is sound quality of lectures. And maybe it would be great to have some VBA notes in pdf.

JH

Apr 03, 2020

Very good course with clear examples throughout to help you develop. The online format of the course is great as it allows you to pause and work through the activities presented at your own speed.

126 - 150 of 751 Reviews for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1

By Kennie N H

Oct 23, 2018

I think the course did a good job introducing VBA, and the optional week 5 was surely worth doing! It not only taught you a few new methods, but it provides you with the opportunity to create a workbook automating calculations with ease for a user.

By Gabriel F d S

Aug 04, 2020

Curso é muito bom para quem não tem nenhum conhecimento sobre VBA. Acredito que os vídeos e os exercícios são verdadeiramente didáticos e nos deixam curiosos para aprender mais a todo o tempo. A qualidade dos áudio e imagem também é muito bom.

By Danilo F d A

Jul 31, 2020

It's a fantastic way of entering VBA programming even if you are not familiar at all, as it was my case. I recommend to anyone who wants to start using this tool as well as to anyone who wants to learn smarter ways to solve problems with it.

By Mayank J

Jun 09, 2020

One of the few courses that really make you work on the learning part with the innovative assignment submission. Kudos to the Instructor. I really enjoyed the course as well as the assignments and it was certainly a useful learning for me.

By Marshall S

Oct 11, 2019

great class and great instruciton.

some of the quizzes overly complicate things, and some of the ways to demosntrate functions and subs are not conducive to understanding though (i.e. swapping cell values is simple but not really practical)

By Jennifer F

Sep 13, 2019

Great course with many instructor led examples and explanations to provide the necessary building blocks to begin developing useful code. The assignments were challenging to ensure understanding of the critical concepts. Thanks, Charlie!

By Yash L

May 05, 2020

Excellent course. This was my first try at anything related to coding and I found it super helpful. Thank you very much Prof. Charlie and coursera for creating such an interactive learning content. Looking forward to Part 2 of the course.

By lindsay j

Aug 08, 2018

I've taken quite a few courses on Coursera and this has easily been the best one. I use Excel/VBA every day for my job and have taken away more than a few concepts to apply just by taking Part 1. Looking forward to taking Parts 2 and 3.

By Yoo Y J

Jul 07, 2020

this was a very good introduction to VBA, i was able to follow the lessons and complete the assignments with no prior experience with VBA. i will most certainly complete the other 2 courses in this specialisation! thank you dr charlie!

By Charlie H

Nov 27, 2018

Very well-organized and well-paced. I am a corporate accountant and I find VBA techniques incredibly useful in my daily work, and this is the first online course that I find helpful for someone without any coding experience to utilize

By Juan R

Jun 04, 2018

Excellent information and challenging content. The course was very useful and showed me an interesting alternative to be more productive with Excel. I have a Mac and if you want to take this course you absolutely need to borrow a PC.

By Marlene F

May 09, 2020

Great course, totally recommended. All the videos, material, explanations from the instructor are absolutely amazing. The assignments are very good and in some cases difficult, but for me this is the best way to learn. Thanks a lot!

By Johannes H

Oct 28, 2018

Great presentation of very useful content. Makes it easy to understand. Good balance between theory and practical examples. Sometimes the math might be intimidating, but it's just a little part of it - except you try out the honors.

By Edmond J E

Oct 10, 2019

Really useful to expand your knowledge on excel and introduce some pretty cool functions should you be using it all times. Highly recommend this course to anyone seeking to learn how to start using VBA. I am excited for Part 2 now.

By Sagar B

Jun 01, 2020

This has been a great course. I never knew i could use this program in solving so many problems which usually would usually take me hours sorting through the datas. I wish i could have learned VBA much sooner. Anyhoo! Its amazing.

By Dr. U S M

It was a pleasure enhancing my excel and VBA skills in this course. The course is extremely well structured and brilliantly narrated. It was a cakewalk. I found the quizzes to be more challenging than the assignments.

Thanks a lot!

By Yomindu D D

Aug 12, 2020

I am a mechanical engineering undergraduate and this is a very useful course to improve the skills and to save lot of time while working with excel sheets. Uses of Solver tools and implementing bisection method are very helpful.

By Daniel P S M D C

Oct 12, 2020

This was the best online course I've taken. I have experience on excel and I'm sure I'll improve my capabilities at work applying what I learned on this course. This covers lots of different usage in a good level of difficulty.

By claudio y

Aug 12, 2019

Excellent course, I learned a lot and the the material was excellent. It was very useful the entire informatios shared in the slides and the methodology was very interest, because you had quizes when you advance in each topic.

By aashray k

Apr 03, 2019

The assignments are sufficiently challenging that they really force the student to grapple with and show an understanding of the material. Thought it was a a really practical set of examples and I look forward to section 2.

By adi

Jun 14, 2020

Assignments could have been a bit more challenging. Otherwise, the course was very good. Professor Nuttelman is very good at explaining the different approaches to programming in VBA, as well as higher-level math concepts.

By Ysabela A F

Sep 29, 2020

As a chemical engineering graduate myself, I really appreciated the examples used. Nevertheless, I think that anyone is bound to learn heaps from this course regardless of background as the concepts were explained well. :)

By Alessandro C

Jan 13, 2020

A very good introductory course in Excel/VBA. The video lectures are always clear and interesting. The assignments are aimed at reinforcing the concepts explained in the lectures and their difficulty is very well-balanced.

By Matias C

May 26, 2019

Very interesting course. It's perfect for beginners in VBA. The quizzes are difficult but not too much, and the assignments are very interesting. I would recommend this course for anyone looking for an introduction to VBA.

By Roman B

Aug 20, 2020

I needed a course to give me a structured overview of VBA. This course is clear and presents good examples on using the different aspects of Excel/VBA needed for writing your own code and setting up live code workbooks.