Back to Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

TL

Oct 01, 2016

Extremely interesting course. I feel the material and videos were very easy to absorb and understand. I certainly would recommend this to anyone with an interest in food and how it affects our health.

NK

Feb 25, 2019

It was very informative course. It could have more quizzes and assignments. The way things were explained in the course was quiet interesting. Keep it up!! course. I really like this way of education.

2726 - 2750 of 2,792 Reviews for Stanford Introduction to Food and Health

By Daria K

Oct 01, 2019

It's strange to see non-healthy recipes after recommendation of mostly plant-based diet in the course.

By Courtney D

Oct 04, 2019

I found this course very basic and almost all of what was said was pretty obvious to me. I would say this course is more suitable to people who have absolutely no knowledge about nutrition, food and health.

By Soumya A

Oct 06, 2019

The course should have touched upon micro nutrients too, it feels incomplete as of now.

By Ruslan

Oct 05, 2019

I don't trust health "experts" found on Internet but Coursera has some credibility, especially if course is published by Stanford University. That was a reason why I enrolled into it - wanted to get facts I can trust.

There was very basic information about nutritious, acid and proteins without scientific facts really. I found 1/3 of the videos are useful but remaining part is an interview (sic!) with journalist. Seriously, Dr. was asking opinion on the food from the writer. Not much science in this, isn't it? And a last thing I'd expect is a few hours of recipes - I'd rather prefer to hear for foundation which would help me to make a right decision when it comes down to cooking

Another thing caught my attention is statement that home cooking - is the only way to eat healthy. I love cooking but I don't have time to do so. Is there naive assumption that all restaurants cook from the processed food or was it a way to sell something?

For somebody who consider this course - it might worth for the basic information about what is the food. Don't expect science

By EDITH V P

Jan 11, 2019

The course is very clear, has really good information, in general everything was great until I finished the week 4, then the next day I wanted to follow with week 5 "cooking workshop" but I couldn't because the course was labeled as "finished" and now I cannot see the cooking videos, I can only see the videos for week 1 and the others are not available.

By Luke R

Jan 13, 2019

Perhaps helpful for someone looking to change their western diet for health reasons. However, I wouldn't recommend this course for anyone feeling like they will gain a dense (even introductory) knowledge of the science within nutrition. The first week has some insight that was new to me, but everything after was just about how to change your diet, shop and eventually recipes.

By Jennifer B

Feb 22, 2019

Extremely basic in content but professional in presentation. Frankly, I'm surprised that this is a Stanford course. I expected something less elementary.

By Mark

Feb 11, 2019

Pleasant and informative but VERY simplistic which was surprising for a Stanford course; I was expecting more on the bio/chemistry of nutrition and digestion, but this was more of a cooking show...

By Chiara R

Feb 02, 2019

Way to easy and too basic, can be completed in 1 or 2 hours.

By A

Sep 05, 2018

Aside from the recipes presented in Week 5, the course is very general and in my opinion does not teach valuable information about nutrition.

The advices that were given concerning choices in nutrition are very basic and in my opinion they are common knowledge.

By Sebastian S

May 12, 2018

Vegan propaganda and encourage you to eat shitty foods such as pasta. Can't believe it.

By Sylvia T

Nov 03, 2017

This is, indeed, a very basic, introductory course. There are the usual misconceptions, e.g. low-fat is good, saturated fats are bad, and the gluten-free recipe made me laugh. This is coming from someone who has been on a 100% gluten-free diet, including what I put on my skin.

If you, like me, have been doing a Paleo, Whole Food or AIP diet and know that animal fats are actually good for you, this course will be a waste of time.

By Aeryn K

Jun 06, 2016

The very first lesson implies that sufficient quantities of micronutrients can't be obtained from a diet high in animal-based proteins and fats. In reality, organ meats and egg yolks are higher in micronutrients than many fruits and vegetables, and only small amounts of dark-colored veggies and fruits are required to balance a diet that already contains a variety of meats (as far as both species and cut). The body is also better able to synthesize glucose (or utilize ketones instead of glucose to fuel cell function) than to synthesize amino acids, which are more easily obtained in the correct amounts from animal sources. Plant-based diets work for some people, but if blood sugar levels, chronic inflammation and/or amino acid intake are issues that an individual needs to take into careful consideration, a high-fat, low-carb, diet with a variety of animal products is more likely to meet their needs.

By Maria L

Dec 16, 2017

very basic

By Rutuja C

Mar 16, 2018

Not as per my expectations. But good eye opener!

By Yang G

Feb 28, 2016

general and shallow, not very informative, could be inspirational for those haven't cooked in a long time. recipe are at the end of course.

By Jenny B

Feb 02, 2016

Really very basic, anyone with an interest in the subject is likely to know most of this already. nicely presented though, good quality videos.

By aliya b

Oct 17, 2017

Great, but takes much more time, than could be.

It would be the same to find 20-min recording of a good educational TV-channel programme.

Stanford in title doesn't refer to any academical sense, but to time relevance and confidence (and activity of Stanford food policy institute).

Has regional specifics (fats, obesity, how to use (keep in hand) knife).

Recommend only if you like to take a brake learning engineering or linear models on coursera.

By Walter S

Jan 22, 2016

They talked a little about LDL and HDL which is good.

But the rest was just a summary of avoid processed foods, eat less and eat less meat and ways to do it. It is important, but I thought the course lacked science and it was very very short.

By Leyton S

Jan 23, 2016

Not in depth enough

By Claude J G

Feb 14, 2016

The course is essentially a self-help guide focusing on the idea that cooking real food promotes health. This is certainly a message that many people need to hear.

Unfortunately, the advice concerning what to eat is less sound. Let me illustrate this with a historical counterexample.

Around 75 years ago, a Canadian dentist visited my home country of Switzerland, where he examined the health and diet of a population in a secluded mountain valley. He found them to be of exceptional health. Their diet?

breakfast: rye sourdough bread, butter and cheese

lunch: rye sourdough bread, butter and cheese

dinner: rye sourdough bread, butter, cheese and potatoes, along with some vegetables in the warmer half of the year, and small amounts of meat on Sundays

Contrary to four fundamental recommendations in the course, these people ate a lot of saturated fat (butter) and animal protein (cheese), but few vegetables and had hardly any variation in their diet.

They did prepare their own food, grown or pastured locally, in very mineral-rich soil, which imparted their butter and cheese with very high amounts of fat-soluble vitamins A, D and K2. Perhaps animal foods are not as unhealthy as the course suggests, and food (and soil) quality is paramount.

Instead of taking this course, watch Maya Adam's TEDx talk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-gyIkA-crM) and browse the recommendations of the Weston A. Price Foundation (http://www.westonaprice.org/) to learn what to cook, in particular their Healthy4Life dietary guidelines (http://www.westonaprice.org/wp-content/uploads/Healthy4LifeEnglish.pdf). If you still need a self-help guide to actually start cooking your own food then by all means, take this course. It'll only take you about an hour.

By Elena K A

Feb 20, 2016

Not much content

By Carmen C

Mar 06, 2018

If you know literally NOTHING about nutrition this is a good place to start, if you however have any sort of understanding of fats, protein and carbs, even the knowledge of what they are, on a broad scale, then you probably already know more than this course will teach you.

It was a good reminder of healthy eating nonetheless.

The recipes in the last module were good, but as someone who doesn't care much for sweet stuff it left me kinda bummed. I wished there were more main meal recipes rather than recipes to cook all your favorite desserts in a gluten free way. I know they had to plug Grokker and get that shameless self-promotion, I am not opposed to that, but they could have chosen more diverse recipes.

If you are trying to get people to eat healthier you should give them something quick and easy, not a recipe for pancakes that takes 4 different kinds of flours.

By Nadezhda

Mar 29, 2018

Этакое руководство для будущего первокурсника, который собирается покинуть родительский дом и хочет правильно организовать свое питание.

By barbara c

Apr 26, 2018

I think this course is too basic. I had expected to learn more in-depth about nutrition. It feels more like cooking for dummies.