Back to Game Design and Development 1: 2D Shooter

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Game Design and Development 1: 2D Shooter by Michigan State University

If you love games and want to learn how to make them, then this course will start you down that path. Making games is a creative and technical art form. In this course you will familiarize yourself with the tools and practices of game development and well as the process. You will get started developing video games using industry standard game development tools, including the Unity 2020 game engine. At the end of the course you will have completed two hands-on projects, including an Intro to Unity project and a 2D Shooter game, and will be able to leverage an array of game development techniques to create your own basic games....

AP
Feb 16, 2021

Excellent introduction to Game Design and Development! I already feel that I can do so much with Unity, even when I know there is still a lot lot more to learn, but this was a fantastic start!

JS
Mar 17, 2021

Very Hands-on. You learn technical and conceptual skills for video game designing. Very grateful for what I've learnt here.

1 - 21 of 21 Reviews for Game Design and Development 1: 2D Shooter

By JustRelax

Mar 2, 2021

Nice course! Lots of practice. Communication with fellow students is maintained. All the basic tools are shown to beginners. But for the slightly advanced it can be boring, but they too can find something new and finish the course quickly. And I will go to the next courses. Good luck!

By William P N

Mar 2, 2021

The Course is great for beginners like me in game developer. I have gained knowledge in making games in both 3D and 2D, all of the basics in creating a game, also refreshed my knowledge in programming and also gained more skills for programming games.

By Andrés P

Feb 16, 2021

By Hamza A

Mar 12, 2021

A really great introduction to unity and great videos that will guide through the course

By Lawrence W

Mar 22, 2021

The course walks you through hooking together a number of pre-built components. You get a working game at the end, but there's not much explanation about what those pre-fab components do or how they work. I "dug in", figured it out (mostly), and learned a lot in the process, but some documentation on the pre-fabs would have really helped. The course project asks you to make "significant" modifications to the pre-fabs, but expect to spend some time reading documentation and watching youtube tutorials to actually do that. Also, the course uses a "Peer Review" grading system. Apparently, we had some "trolls" in our group who would "fail" people without giving any feedback whatsoever. You have no recourse for this other than re-submitting and getting new reviewers. I was furious when it happened to me, but others seemed to take it better than I did. Overall, I learned a lot and had fun doing it, but (again) you should be prepared to spend some time finding and using external sources of information. (The pre-fabs use "Colliders" and "Physics", for example, but the course provides no information on these at all.)

By Maxmillion J S

Mar 20, 2021

This course has given me a comfortable understanding of how the unity engine works and how various systems within the engine work. The one gripe I have being the glazed over explanation of C# code. If you take this specialization and course, expect to either have a grasp on the concepts of C# or learn C# from other resources.

By Matt E

Mar 29, 2021

Very good course taught by a great instructor and TA. It's a combination of following along with guided lectures and then open exercises with a single major project at the end that builds upon each lecture and gives you the freedom to expand your project in whatever directions you'd prefer based on your own strengths and interests. While I'd like the course to talk more about game design, that's covered in the subsequent courses in the specialization.

By Giovani B

Apr 4, 2021

I loved the course! Brian Winn is such a great professor! Thank you Michigan State University and Coursera for this opportunity!

By Juan J Á S

Mar 18, 2021

By P M

Mar 27, 2021

I had a lot of fun! This is a great introduction to the world of unity game design. I cant wait to take the next class!

By Doğukan K B

Mar 25, 2021

The teaching methods and courses are perfect. The only problem is you have to wait for peer assignments for a while.

By Marco P

Mar 23, 2021

Excellent course, very well explained and with 2021 Unity content.

By Alexander B

Mar 15, 2021

This is great course about game development! I recommend!

By Jacob A

Mar 17, 2021

Great teacher very easy to follow.

By Jayson H P

Apr 7, 2021

excellent

By Jamil P

Mar 27, 2021

The course is good intro to Unity and C#. It's not perfect especially on the voiceover in the basics of using Unity which the audio changes which makes the cuts between voiceovers obvious.

By Bernd B

Mar 1, 2021

Good first couple of weeks but in my opinion the later weeks need improvements (buggy scripts, pre-made assets, old fashioned shooter games)

By Prince V

Apr 11, 2021

I dont want to do this course