Back to Gathering and Developing the News

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Gathering and Developing the News by Michigan State University

Journalists develop information through interviews and sources. The most successful journalists quickly master these important skill sets. The production of journalism relies on several elements: newsgathering, interviewing sources, researching and trying to find as much information as possible. The course will also teach you how to where to find information, interviewing skills and how to process information from various sources for publication....

HS

Nov 27, 2016

I like the course and the teachers. I don't like the peer review because most of the students don't work hard enough on their reviews. I do want the challenge and the feedback.

RM

Mar 26, 2016

This course was a great follow up to the first one. Knowing where to go to find sources is very important. I was especially intrigued by the section on crowd-sourcing content.

26 - 47 of 47 Reviews for Gathering and Developing the News

By Tere F

Sep 17, 2016

Until taking this course, I had no idea what goes into even the shortest news story. The gathering and developing of news in this course is fascinating, and as I watch or read news now, I realize how much work it takes to make information available to all. Loved it!

By Keri A B

Apr 02, 2017

Amazing course - I learned valuable knowledge; how to craft effective interviews, avoid stereotyping, build credibility, what news literacy is and how to promote it, the importance of portraying as survivors as opposed to victims, how to use social media and crowd-sourcing and actually a lot more.

Instructors were succinct, clear, professional each with easy to follow and pleasant cadence. Slideshows during presentations were very helpful. Overall I have come away with a great understanding of how to gather and develop the news in a wide range of situations.

I have signed up for the next course in the specialization. I definitely will be taking all of them, these classes have given me extraordinary value in my skills.

By Tamer D A

Mar 31, 2018

Essential components of any decent journalism course.

This unit confronts some social and legal issues - how to treat sources, interviewing, trust and integrity as core elements in practicing journalism.

By Víctor M M

Apr 17, 2017

Very good module. I'm glad of being participating on this journalism program. The platform is a breeze and the instructors from the Michigan State University School of Journalism have prepared an entertaining and very informative course. I'm happy!

By Sarah S

Aug 13, 2017

Muy completo e interesante!!, very complete and interesting!!

By Heather J H

Apr 02, 2019

Helped me get past my fear of "bothering" strangers with interviews.

By Mohammad s H

Jul 12, 2019

Very helpful

By Rida A

Sep 08, 2019

this course helps me to stand again to pursue my dream job. I am very thankful to Michigan university.

By Pierre V

Mar 03, 2019

very instructive and practical

By Leon R

Jul 29, 2018

So far so good. The only thing that I see that can be improved are the assignment prompts. In both courses that I have taken, the initial prompt in the instructions is usually different than the prompt in the submissions.

By Lippe B

Jul 20, 2018

Overall the course is great, but there was one thing could be improved.

The questions asked after each week were too easy, to not say dumb. I think it could have more difficulty so learners will have to study more and dedicate more time for the course.

By Rodrigo B W

Jan 17, 2018

Its developing is slow, but gets quite good towards the end. Some great tips and teachings, despite it could have more references to texts or books. Certain quizzes are quite unnecessary, though. I'm looking forward to complete the next course in the series. 7/10.

By Jordan H

Jul 20, 2019

Great content, but implementation of "Peer Eval" system is very spotty and slows down the learning process.

By Lijuan Z

Mar 12, 2019

There some technical issues with this course:

the assignment and preview is not working! makes it impossible to complete the course.

By Eva G

Apr 22, 2016

There are some incorrect answers in quizes and some instructions for the ssigments are qiute unclear...

By Nicolas B

Aug 19, 2017

Sadly I missed one assignment because there was no one to review it ! There's no one. I have 7 out 9 passed, but I can't tell if I passed or not.

By Alexandria M H

Jul 17, 2017

The video transcripts are terrible and inaccurate. Who transcribed them? The discussion and exam questions are often poorly-worded and vague at best, and grammatically incoherent at worst. The quizzes are overly simplistic at times, and others don't seem to address the content from that unit. The course is very, very general, and doesn't go into much depth. It isn't rigorous. The "peer review" assignments leave no room for evaluation. You can give 15 points or zero points, forcing you to choose whether to pass or fail your classmate for a mediocre but technically acceptable answer, or an insightful but incomplete answer. The course could be greatly improved if even one of the j-school graduate students at Michigan State simply proofread the content. I'm disappointed, but I need the capstone course to produce some writing samples for my own j-school applications, so I will continue with the specialization. tldr; the course is overly basic and poorly written.

By Vorian M

May 08, 2018

The quality control of the course is not very good. Some videos repeat the same take twice. Some questions are misplaced. Some of the peer review prompts are placed as questions for the student, which causes confusion.

The lecturers are very little personal. i.e I dont connect with them so I dont get too inspired and loose motivation with this particular course (not the subject).

I feel a bit like in a sausage machine, yet there are not enough students on the course to review my assignments, or for me to review assignments. I keep on having to go back to, a for me completed course, to see if there is anyone I can review to get my certificate.

This goes for all of the courses in the series, regretfully.

By Herma

Apr 27, 2016

I thought the course was oldfashioned, it doesn't prepare you to be a journalist in the digital age, where terms like crowdfunding, search ability, new businessmodels, apps and social media are key factors of success. Yes, there was a small section where they explained crowdsourcing (lol) but interviewing as many people as you can seems to be cryptosaurus approach. Also the social media tips seem to be very interesting if you're 65+. It's worth following this course for free but definately not your money, the free course on futurelearn had ten times more content and I learned so much more...