Back to Command Line Tools for Genomic Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Command Line Tools for Genomic Data Science by Johns Hopkins University

4.2

Introduces to the commands that you need to manage and analyze directories, files, and large sets of genomic data. This is the fourth course in the Genomic Big Data Science Specialization from Johns Hopkins University....

JJ

Jun 23, 2018

Thank you very much Dr./Professor, Liliana Florea. I've learned a lot. It's a very good opportunity to improve my knowledge. This means a lot to me.

GV

Mar 14, 2016

Very informative course. Because I am new to this, it was at times confusing. But overall, great teaching and great experience. Thank you.

76 - 88 of 88 Reviews for Command Line Tools for Genomic Data Science

By QIHUA Z

Jun 20, 2018

I have to be honest. This course was bad learning experience for me. Watching the videos was a waste of time. The instructor is just typing commands without properly explaining the context. All you learn from the videos is probably a list of names of the tools you can use and some of it's syntax, which really doesn't require hours of tedious videos. It may be more productive just to look at the name of the tool and go google by yourself. Watching the videos is like someone telling you HOW to use the tool (how to type the command), but didn't tell you WHAT the tool is doing, and WHY we want to use these tools. The HOW port is explained, but the WHAT and WHY parts? Sorry it's not there. What's funny is that, in the quiz they ask you WHATs and WHYs! At that time you would be thinking: "yea, these are good questions! but they were never explained in the videos. Would have been nice if these knowledges were covered!" That's the time when you go googling, hoping the get some answers to pass the quiz.

By yingchuan q

Jul 22, 2018

It is not that the course is not useful; there is a LOT of room for the course to improve itself. One major issue is the lecture lacks sufficient descriptions why we do particular things, and the instructor's non-native English speaking and monotone worsen the situation such that I was often lost about the purpose of certain calculation. The second issue is that the course needs additional materials that aid students during the learning. The lecture video itself is not effective to provide sufficient guidance. I have done most of my learning by googling. In summary, the course was definitely poorly designed.

By María E P R

Jul 02, 2017

It was a really hard course, I think the focus was not in to learn what specific command lines tools does otherwise was how to use a command line tool . Another problem that I have was that the most of videos don't have transcripts or subtitles, this make it harder than usual.

By David h

Apr 14, 2016

If you want to know the array of options of the various tools in the Tuxedo suite (and don't want to read a manual), then this course is for you. I was hoping that there would be some conceptual grounding in what each tool was useful for, but that was not present at all.

By Allan T S

Nov 13, 2016

The video lectures are confusing and quizzes too

By ELISA W

May 24, 2018

This class really needs to be redone. In fact, it would be more productive to work off of the tools with python and/or galaxy. This class is essentially watching someone type and then trying to figure everything out on your own afterwards. It is not productive to learning the material, and will not help any of the students. I thought that the galaxy class was bad, but considering it is 4-star compared to this one!!

Not only was teaching helpful tools not accomplished, but it required installation of the VM box which modified my registry! I will not have to uninstall everything and return my Windows to a previous start point to undo the issues it is causing. I am actually pretty angry that I had to take this class to get my certification. seriously, replace it with something helpful!! watching someone type (and tiny type at that) does not promote learning.

By Jason M

Nov 30, 2017

The worst class I've ever encountered in my life. The teacher mumbles to herself and the transcript often even says '[teacher mumbles]' at the critical point of the lecture. The majority of the class teaches useless and outdated material. Moreover, the quizzes reflect useless documentation details, as opposed to relevant content in genomics. To even do the quizzes, you're required to torrent their virtual machine image with an insecure checksum, thus compromising the security of your computer. The teacher herself clearly didn't read the documentation for the most basic Linux commands, hence she constantly uses inefficient commands, such as 'more' instead of 'less'. Altogether, this class is pathetic and will probably make you less competent in having wasted your time. Truly shameful.

By Lawrence C

Apr 27, 2017

This course was extremely time consuming because a great deal of effort was required to translate it into something I could use. I had a great deal of trouble with following the lecture videos. The demonstrations of the tools were typed on a screen that was too small and the command line tools were executed so quickly that it's hard to see where the screen full of data came from. The lecturer had such poor pronunciation that lectures' transcripts show that the voice recognition software could not understand and transcribe a lot of her words. For example, "command" sounded like "comment" and likewise was transcribed that way. More seriously, it was hard to hear the difference between "VCF" and "BCF".

By Yang Y

Aug 12, 2016

The worst course I've ever take in Coursera. I can pass the course all because I have some background of this topic. The lecture taught me NOTHING!

Consider I just finish the previous course "algorithm for DNA sequencing" which might be the best course I toke in the Coursera, this course makes me very disappointed! If the previous course gives me the faith to continue learning something in Coursera, this course must be the reason that let me leave the Coursera left.

I can't even understand why there are some guys give this course 5 stars. If there is -5 stars option, I'll put this score in front of the lecturer and tell her WHAT A BAD COURSE her give us.

By Amy G

Feb 16, 2019

This course is not at all up to the standards set by its companion courses. The assignments require a VMbox that is broken, the transcripts are way off base, the tools are somewhat out of date, and the content and message board reflect lack of sincere oversight and care for student experience. Yes, it is possible to pass if you are diligent. Yes, it contains useful commands. No, it is not at all worth the effort. It should be replaced, removed for the sequence, or severely revised.

By Makragić A

Feb 20, 2017

This is the worst course I've ever listened, and I've listened my fair share of online courses! Do this course ONLY if you want to complete whole specialization!

Professor is simply awful, English is not her native language obviously, but even that is not the problem, she simply speaks sentences that doesn't make sense at all! And she obviously doesn't have computer science background, if she does then she is even worse then I thought.

By Silpa S

Feb 11, 2016

Very bad or non-existent support

By Pu Y