Back to Command Line Tools for Genomic Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Command Line Tools for Genomic Data Science by Johns Hopkins University

4.1

Introduces to the commands that you need to manage and analyze directories, files, and large sets of genomic data. This is the fourth course in the Genomic Big Data Science Specialization from Johns Hopkins University....

CW
Aug 5, 2020

There were some typos and confusion about the need not to follow the example code for Exam 4.\n\nHowever, I thought that the course was good and useful overall.\n\nThank You!

GG
May 10, 2017

Great course. The last exam is a little bit tricky, specially when some commands are large and confusing. But with the help of forums, you can still find the right answers.

51 - 75 of 130 Reviews for Command Line Tools for Genomic Data Science

By Edgar L

Apr 13, 2018

Clear, very practical and applicable

By sandeep s

Dec 5, 2016

Excellent course. Thanks :)

By Dahis M

Jan 30, 2019

Detailed and challenging.

By Francia V D L R

Sep 10, 2017

thank you for the course!

By Hewan D

Apr 24, 2020

thanks

By Nate R

Oct 30, 2016

Coming in as a veteran coder of 2 decades, I thought this would be "easy". And, had I completed it using my own C/Python code, it probably would have. However I made the decision to stick with ONLY the command line tools and actually ended up learning a lot more about basic unix tools that I rarely get to use.

Be prepared to knuckle down and REALLY learn a lot about the specific commands and what they provide as there are a ton of them. The instructor goes into a ton of detail on each one and the course is laid out in a nice flow starting with the basics and ending with a very challenging exam at the end that showcases an entire RNA-seq technique.

With a bit more polish, it would be 5 stars, but as it stands there is a bit rough around the edges.

I think this course should be #2 in the specialization as the underlying concepts of RNA-seq and how the tools fit together would have been invaluable while taking the current #2 course on Galaxy. I think that I can now go back and get 100% on the final project armed with the RNA-seq techniques that were not originally covered in my first run through the Galaxy content.

By Deepti R

Nov 6, 2017

Excellent quizzes and exams. Smooth flow of lectures. However, as a beginner I faced a lot of difficulty in installing the required tools. I could complete the course only because the tools were provided as a package with the VM box. I will be handling NGS data for my PhD project, for which I will have to install the latest versions of these tools. Manuals are cryptic. A lot of errors keep cropping up whenever I try to install anything. This course should have taught us that part too. I shall be thankful if you could provide a short course or a step by step write up for the same, else we will not be able to apply what such a good course taught us.

By Maximilian K

Jan 5, 2017

Thanks for the great course. IT was just right level of easiness/hardness. While the quizzes were basic, the homework quizzes were hard but not unsolvable. These actually motivated to further spend time on familiarizing with the tools, whch is essential for home usage.

Sometimes the videos had their length when we watched somebody else typing... that could have made better.

By Mary W

Mar 17, 2016

This course covers used of command line tools such as the Tuxedo suite. Just what I was looking for. The subject was well paced and the material covered appropriate. I felt confident at the end of the course that I had almost mastered something valuable. The discussions were not very active and I felt rather isolated, so I'm taking one star off for engagement.

By Keri M

Feb 27, 2019

I learned a ton and feel like I understand the formats of all of the different really well. I will say that week 4 is out of date in that Tophat has been replaced with HISAT and I wasn't able to download the tools needed. It wasn't a waste of time to learn tophat but would have been nice to learn the most recent tools.

By Jitesh D

Mar 30, 2019

Course content is really good! Lot of informational resources. Course delivery was little monotonous though. Exam 4 really made it very difficult due to not so clear instructions, otherwise it was a good course. Learnt lot of command lines tools and mainly to effectively use Linux commands in analysis.

By oyebode j O

Dec 20, 2018

Very fine course. drills students well. would prefer if files used in examples were provided for students before the class. it makes life easier. would also prefer students are advised how to install tools on their laptops. Good course overall and I learnt much

By Kenan S

Nov 8, 2021

This is a great course to learn Linux commands for bioinformatics as well as normal Linux use. The only reason I didn't give this course a 5 start is because it is very difficult to follow along with the instructor since we aren't given any files.

By Benson N M

Dec 21, 2016

Awesome course. The skills taught will cut across not only in genomics but also, in other aspects. The discussion forum was amazing! The mentors and people who were doing the course at the period i did it were very helpful.

By Michael G

Jul 22, 2018

There could be more resources provided and the lecture at the beginning of module 4 should be placed at the beginning of the course. Because the overview of molecular biology serves as background for the entire course.

By ZIHAN X

Apr 18, 2021

The course is good overall. Many useful skills are introduced. However, the cufflinks package has been too old for transcriptome analysis nowadays, and some commands could be upgraded to the newest ones if possible.

By 李俊宏

Mar 3, 2019

This course is reasonably difficult. The assignments are quite fulfilling and well organized by virtual machine. I hope the slides could be more detailed because it too simple.