Back to Command Line Tools for Genomic Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Command Line Tools for Genomic Data Science by Johns Hopkins University

4.1

Introduces to the commands that you need to manage and analyze directories, files, and large sets of genomic data. This is the fourth course in the Genomic Big Data Science Specialization from Johns Hopkins University....

CW
Aug 5, 2020

There were some typos and confusion about the need not to follow the example code for Exam 4.\n\nHowever, I thought that the course was good and useful overall.\n\nThank You!

GG
May 10, 2017

Great course. The last exam is a little bit tricky, specially when some commands are large and confusing. But with the help of forums, you can still find the right answers.

101 - 125 of 130 Reviews for Command Line Tools for Genomic Data Science

By Shipra G

Apr 8, 2017

I would prefer the lecture command line notes too in presentations or any other files in each week modules. It was difficult for me to understand her way of teaching and I felt the lectures didn't flow correctly.

By Rafael O B

Sep 22, 2021

Gives the basics for genomic analysis but the RNA-seq part is outdated. The tools used in the course such as cufflinks or Tophat are deprecated. There are other more recent tools that should be used instead.

By Ian P

Jul 12, 2018

I would have liked a better overview of the analysis process, less on details of command line parameters. there were several errors in the slides. The assignments were tedious and not very instructive.

By Sofia M K

Oct 18, 2018

Some of the tools are not up to date (tophat) and some things were unexplained. The focus was only typing the commands but not understanding why exactly we have to do specific things.

By Avishai B

Dec 19, 2016

It gives a significant coverage of many important command line tools. Teaching level is not good, very difficult to follow.

By Noam H

Jun 2, 2019

Great and practical material. Instructions for tests aren't clear and sometimes very time consuming to understand

By Anna B

Feb 8, 2019

Exams take way longer than suggested, rest is good-OK

By Dongyuan W

May 15, 2020

TOO DIFFICULT FOR STUDENT WITHOUT ANY EXPERIENCE

By Stefanie M

Feb 9, 2019

A lot of things are not explained in the course

By Yali S

Jun 1, 2020

not enough instruction for exam4

By John C

Jun 12, 2020

A disappointing learning experience - with respect to the lecturer, the nature of the course videos are mostly watching her type commands on screen (often busy with many lines of text), several of which are explained poorly or demonstrated several times too many, and would be better suited to slides which explain the syntax. More careful editing would make for a much clearer narrative. The final exam also includes a section on a command which is not at all covered in the content, I regularly referred to other content including free Youtube videos which I found more useful.

The content would benefit from being edited to better explain why the programs covered are used and how they work, because at this point in time they only really cover specific usage for the scenarios in the course and why the parameters/options are chosen can be unclear.

What the course does right is the useful feedback which is provided on the quizzes and exams, and the setup of the VM which prevents the need for installing specific versions of software.

By Ji E S

The course doesn't provide proper materials, so not easy to follow the lecture. While the instructor writes codes, and I couldn't practice since I don't have any materials to start with. When taking the exam, I need to watch the lectures again to figure out what to do. The tools for the exams are outdated and setting up the VM was very tricky, but there was no mentor or TAs to help me. So I need to read a lot of tread in the forum to get help from other students who figured out solutions and share tips. I would drop it if it's not a part of the specialization course. To future students, if you're taking this course, then read the FORUMS carefully!

By Xue S

Nov 26, 2021

This course covers the basics of using command line to perform DNA and RNA-seq analyses. While it contains a lot of useful information, the instructions are confusing and VM does not run smoothly on all computers. As a beginner, I had to resort to many other learning materials to pass the course.

By Emily L

Oct 28, 2020

I learned command line for analyzing genomic data, but the exam questions were not clear and the videos were not that helpful. program versions used were very one, everything needs updating! I would not recommend this course if your are not looking for the specialization certificate.

By María E P R

Jul 2, 2017

It was a really hard course, I think the focus was not in to learn what specific command lines tools does otherwise was how to use a command line tool . Another problem that I have was that the most of videos don't have transcripts or subtitles, this make it harder than usual.

By David h

Apr 13, 2016

If you want to know the array of options of the various tools in the Tuxedo suite (and don't want to read a manual), then this course is for you. I was hoping that there would be some conceptual grounding in what each tool was useful for, but that was not present at all.

By Allan T S

Nov 13, 2016

The video lectures are confusing and quizzes too

By Lawrence C

Apr 27, 2017

This course was extremely time consuming because a great deal of effort was required to translate it into something I could use. I had a great deal of trouble with following the lecture videos. The demonstrations of the tools were typed on a screen that was too small and the command line tools were executed so quickly that it's hard to see where the screen full of data came from. The lecturer had such poor pronunciation that lectures' transcripts show that the voice recognition software could not understand and transcribe a lot of her words. For example, "command" sounded like "comment" and likewise was transcribed that way. More seriously, it was hard to hear the difference between "VCF" and "BCF".

By Anastasia V R

Jul 21, 2020

There was no feedback in the forum. The last exam has misleading notes which is there from the beginning of the course (at least 4 years), but it seems that nobody cares to help students and to rephrase instructions. So, students have to help themselves. If you want to have the feedback about the course - check comments on the exam 4.

Exams require exact numbers which may slightly vary from version to version and from additional options which may be used (in the same way as it was shown during the lecture). Finally, it may take ages to people complete the exam even if the commands they use are correct. This does not help learning, however, consumes enormous amount of time.

By Yang Y

Aug 12, 2016

The worst course I've ever take in Coursera. I can pass the course all because I have some background of this topic. The lecture taught me NOTHING!

Consider I just finish the previous course "algorithm for DNA sequencing" which might be the best course I toke in the Coursera, this course makes me very disappointed! If the previous course gives me the faith to continue learning something in Coursera, this course must be the reason that let me leave the Coursera left.

I can't even understand why there are some guys give this course 5 stars. If there is -5 stars option, I'll put this score in front of the lecturer and tell her WHAT A BAD COURSE her give us.

By rached

This course needs a profound review and restructuration. Many concepts are used before they are introduced. A lot of hesitation in the presentation that makes it very hard to follow and makes the text transcript wrong. More illustration and elements of context would help better than wasting time watching commands being entered in a terminal without knowing the purpose. Very low reactivity on the forums (some questions are there with no answer since 2016). Finishing this course took more time than all the others in the module which is very frustrating since it is a requirement to get the certificate. Urgent review is needed.

By David B C

Apr 26, 2020

Dr. Florea is a good teacher. Also the material is very interesting. However I rate this course with only one star for the following reason: unless in march/april 2020 there's is no teacher of the University of John Hopkins in the discussion forum. Therefore, it's impossible to ask any doubts/motivation issues to go further to the lecture team. This I found very disappointing for the institution that John Hopkins represents. I understand that Dr. Florea cannot have time to dedicate to Coursera forum but someone else need to offer a feedback for all the students enrolled in your course and payed to follow your course.

By Ratatosk

Jul 4, 2021

This course is probably the worst course I have taken so far. There are no exercises to help you learn the code needed, just the lecturer reading the code. The code is shown on the screen, but is too small to read. There are endless boring lectures on file types but no real practice with them. If you arent running a unix machine (and even if you are) you will need to run a virtual linux box on your computer for this course, which is rather temperamental. The tools being taught are outdated. There is no help on the forums, the last post from a moderator, let alone staff, was several years ago.

By Kaichun X

Mar 15, 2020

Very bad course, this class did not provide any example file in the lecture the instructor used to demonstrate. NO one from the instructor teams answer discussion forums etc. The script for the video is also awful without any grammar and spelling check. A lot of tools can not be used now. So I need to find a new way myself to solve exam questions. This is really the worst course I have every taken in coursera and it is included in such a good specialization course series. Really hope JHU can re-consider replacing this course with another better class

By Makragić A

Feb 20, 2017

This is the worst course I've ever listened, and I've listened my fair share of online courses! Do this course ONLY if you want to complete whole specialization!

Professor is simply awful, English is not her native language obviously, but even that is not the problem, she simply speaks sentences that doesn't make sense at all! And she obviously doesn't have computer science background, if she does then she is even worse then I thought.