Back to Getting Started with Essay Writing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Getting Started with Essay Writing by University of California, Irvine

Course 2: Getting Started with Essay Writing This is the second course in the Academic English: Writing specialization. By introducing you to three types of academic essays, this course will especially help prepare you for work in college classes, but anyone who wants to improve his or her writing skills can benefit from this course. After completing this course, you will be able to: - create effective thesis statements for your essays - plan and write compare/contrast, cause/effect, and argument essays - write well-developed body paragraphs Note: The lectures and practice activities are available for free, but you must upgrade to the pay version in order to take the quizzes and get feedback on writing assignments....

BD
Nov 16, 2015

Thank you for teaching me how to write basic essays. This has been one of my most important goals for years. I've tried several other ways of learning but your method worked for me. Thank you so much.

MU
Feb 10, 2016

I always loved writing. What I didn't know, however, was that writing had some scientific structures that could make it very interesting. Take this course and know why. I took and was very successful.

551 - 575 of 732 Reviews for Getting Started with Essay Writing

Mar 17, 2016

Good.

By Thirishiya.L

Jul 10, 2020

Good

By Muhammad M K

Dec 9, 2019

Nicr

By LIU S

Oct 18, 2019

Good

By Manisha J

Jan 28, 2019

good

By Araz A

Feb 25, 2018

good

By Jeon J

Jun 13, 2017

good

By Modestman

Jan 6, 2017

good

By vo n q m

Mar 28, 2016

good

By sandra

Oct 26, 2015

Jan 22, 2016

s

By Sheryl H

Mar 26, 2017

If you are looking to just take a class here or there, yes you can, but if you want the 5th course open to you you must complete the 4 courses before. Had I known this I would have started that way, instead I took 3 and tried to take 5, it does not work that way. If you are looking at cost, be sure to review the those options. While I didn't think I needed the other courses, I found it helpful to refresh my memory and it also helped understand the direction of the course material and assignments in detail. Even though it may look simple, always take notes during the lecture videos because by the time you get to the quizzes you might find your self stumped and the notes are great reminders on the outline principles of the subject. No, taking notes will not give you the answer, its not designed that way.

By Meryl C

Sep 21, 2020

This course is alright. I like how the instructor's explanation (clear and precise) and her examples (very helpful)too. The only thing I am not really liking in MOOCs are those learners who keep plagiarizing. Cmon, there are instructions for each homework but I think I only reviewed one person who followed the instruction. Most of them submit a different topic from the 3 given topics and a lot just plagiarize. The first video of this course is about ACADEMIC INTEGRITY but some really don't care about it and it's unfortunate.

By Lenka " P

Apr 16, 2016

It is a good course in overall, it gave me an opportunity to practice writing and refresh some useful informations about how to write an argument. Minuses of the course: there is no indication of how long it might take for assignments to be graded, some of the students rush through their assignments so it is waste of time to review them instead of an opportunity to learn from others as it should be. Perhaps the non-granded assignments could be more though through to help the learning process?

By Yvonne O

Apr 29, 2016

I learnt a lot in this course that surprised me. I went from being terrified of essays to managing to write one a few pages long. Thank you. My biggest issue and why I didn't give it 5 stars if the grading is via peer review and this meant a long wait and lots of begging PLUS getting only one word reviews such as great. Not very helpful. I would like a person who is experienced in essay writing to do a review, but I do understand that, by sheer numbers of students, this would be non viable.

By Jennifer T

Jan 18, 2016

Easy to understand introduction to essay writing. In future versions of the course, would be advisable if people were trained in how to give constructive feedback and there were measures implemented to ensure that people provided feedback. Sometimes I received gibberish as feedback such as "erg" or "uyt."

Training in feedback could include a sample list of common types of errors that people make or ways to give positive feedback that is specific.