Back to GIS Data Acquisition and Map Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for GIS Data Acquisition and Map Design by University of Toronto

In this course, you will learn how to find GIS data for your own projects, and how to create a well-designed map that effectively communicates your message. The first section focuses on the basic building blocks of GIS data, so that you know what types of GIS files exist, and the implications of choosing one type over another. Next, we'll discuss metadata (which is information about a data set) so you know how to evaluate a data set before you decide to use it, as well as preparing data by merging and clipping files as needed. We'll then talk about how to take non-GIS data, such as a list of addresses, and convert it into "mappable" data using geocoding. Finally, you'll learn about how to take data that you have found and design a map using cartographic principles. In the course project, you will find your own data and create your own quantitative map. Note: software is not provided for this course....

SH

Aug 04, 2020

It is one of the best course of the specialization. I learned a lot about data acquisition, map design elements and principles and exporting map. It gave me a greater knowledge of map designs.

AJ

Aug 05, 2020

I received professional skills and it will develop my career , may thanks Coursera team for their hardwork and well arranged and designed courses both theory and practical

1 - 25 of 74 Reviews for GIS Data Acquisition and Map Design

By Randal E E

Dec 21, 2019

Don Boyes lecture materials are extremely rich and very well prepared. My only suggestion would be to link up to some actual ArcGIS data sets (feature classes) and map examples that we could explore. Sometimes it is very helpful to explore a finished product to understand what is possible and how it was put together.

By Raphael G

Feb 07, 2020

I like how this specialization combines ArcGIS tools, map design, cartography skills and theoretical support for the representation. This module requires quite more advanced tools than Module 1. While Module 1 final assignement was laborious, but in some way easy in its digitising exercise, I think this Module 2 requires much more effort to control the different aspects of map production, as design, sources and data visualization. I recomend the course to those who want to learn ArcGIS, but also would like to have an academical background to their decisions.

By Md. A H

Feb 05, 2020

I loved this course. The contents were so detailed and explained very beautifully by the instructor. Anyone with little knowledge in cartography would understand and can learn to prepare great cartographic maps after completing this course.

By Dariia K

Jun 11, 2020

Very well structured and prepared course. The lecturer is a great professional in the field. "Must take" - for people who want to have systematic knowledge and skills in GIS

By Michelle O

Jun 10, 2020

Very practical, while also giving some ideas of how to use the software for research purposes.

By Jasminka K

Jul 07, 2019

I learned a lot about spatial analysis. The professor's explanation was great.

By Tulasi r

Apr 24, 2020

Perfectly designed course for every one

By Vincent C

Jun 07, 2020

Don is a fantastic teacher.

By Daniel F V O

Aug 07, 2020

I am liking this course a lot. This speficic section (course 2- GIS Data Acquisition and Map Design) taught me a lot of new tools I can use to make a better map. The main thing I'm taking away from this course is that I developed a more critic perspective, and I can make better choices on what elements to show on my map and how to show them.

By Rudra R

Jul 28, 2020

It was very informative class. Demonstrated in a simple manner with very suitable examples. Extremely glad to be part of this course. Have gained necessary knowledge which would enhance my skills in GIS which supports my academic works too. Thank you!

By Euijin J

Jun 23, 2020

I really like his way of teaching. He explains things from "map creator"'s point of view. This means that he approaches the topic from how to overcome potential challenges when making maps. I highly recommend this class!

By Edward J O G

Aug 03, 2020

I learnt so much in this course and I totally recommend it, especially if you're introducing to ArcGIS software. The videos are informative and clear, and the material is very helpful. Thanks for all the learningns!

By Saqalain H

Aug 04, 2020

By Jesús E M

Jun 30, 2020

Very easy, is amazing, good material, good explanation and we can make some design with the information and videos, the most important the professor explains how you evaluate the data

By Abas S A J

Aug 05, 2020

By Michelle Z L

Aug 08, 2020

I learned a lot about data acquisition, map design elements and principles. As a begginer in GIS it was great. Thanks Coursera for providing me with this opportunity!

By Anne S

Jun 26, 2020

The course is presented in a built-up manner hence it is easy to follow it even if you are new to GIS. I have learnt so much and still keep learning, Thank you!

By Ashiqur R

Jul 01, 2020

Great Course.It helps me to start as a beginner in the field of GIS. All the lectures are precise and full of practical examples.

By C S P

Course was very informative and was very exciting in leaning the course throughout. And Don Boyes was a great facilitator

By Erick N S L

Jul 17, 2020

Muy buen curso, cumple con las necesidades del conocimiento y genera bastante ayuda para aumentar cada duda que se tiene

By Bilawal A

Jul 04, 2020

It was a good decision to learn this course, now I am able to do lot of things related GIS in different perspectives.

By Prottay M

May 16, 2020

Mr. Boyes lectures are really informative and how he delivers his speech is a learning lesson for me. Thank you, Sir!

By Pius O J

Apr 28, 2020

Dr. Boyes is a fantastic instructor! He has made this extremely exciting and totally engaging.

By Henry O I

Apr 24, 2020

An excellent course, now i can confidently acquire GIS data and design a map

By Unnikrishnan P

Jul 23, 2020

it's a good one to start a map design. Covers almost all the areas. deeply.