Back to GIS Data Acquisition and Map Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for GIS Data Acquisition and Map Design by University of Toronto

In this course, you will learn how to find GIS data for your own projects, and how to create a well-designed map that effectively communicates your message. The first section focuses on the basic building blocks of GIS data, so that you know what types of GIS files exist, and the implications of choosing one type over another. Next, we'll discuss metadata (which is information about a data set) so you know how to evaluate a data set before you decide to use it, as well as preparing data by merging and clipping files as needed. We'll then talk about how to take non-GIS data, such as a list of addresses, and convert it into "mappable" data using geocoding. Finally, you'll learn about how to take data that you have found and design a map using cartographic principles. In the course project, you will find your own data and create your own quantitative map. Note: software is not provided for this course....

SH
Aug 3, 2020

It is one of the best course of the specialization. I learned a lot about data acquisition, map design elements and principles and exporting map. It gave me a greater knowledge of map designs.

MI
Aug 16, 2020

A nice and well explained course again. i think if some sample data can be supplied to the trainees when you are demonstrating something in ArcGIS it would be more helpful to practice.

1 - 25 of 121 Reviews for GIS Data Acquisition and Map Design

By Randal E E

Dec 21, 2019

Don Boyes lecture materials are extremely rich and very well prepared. My only suggestion would be to link up to some actual ArcGIS data sets (feature classes) and map examples that we could explore. Sometimes it is very helpful to explore a finished product to understand what is possible and how it was put together.

By Raphael G

Feb 6, 2020

I like how this specialization combines ArcGIS tools, map design, cartography skills and theoretical support for the representation. This module requires quite more advanced tools than Module 1. While Module 1 final assignement was laborious, but in some way easy in its digitising exercise, I think this Module 2 requires much more effort to control the different aspects of map production, as design, sources and data visualization. I recomend the course to those who want to learn ArcGIS, but also would like to have an academical background to their decisions.

By Md. A H

Feb 5, 2020

I loved this course. The contents were so detailed and explained very beautifully by the instructor. Anyone with little knowledge in cartography would understand and can learn to prepare great cartographic maps after completing this course.

By Dariia K

Jun 11, 2020

Very well structured and prepared course. The lecturer is a great professional in the field. "Must take" - for people who want to have systematic knowledge and skills in GIS

By Michelle O

Jun 10, 2020

Very practical, while also giving some ideas of how to use the software for research purposes.

By Jasminka K

Jul 7, 2019

I learned a lot about spatial analysis. The professor's explanation was great.

By 178_136 T

Apr 23, 2020

Perfectly designed course for every one

By Florencia A A

Nov 16, 2020

Excelente curso. Don Boyes supo como traspasar la pantalla y transmitir cada concepto, aún a quienes no comparten el idioma como yo. En este curso aprendí nuevas cosas y refresqué conocimientos adquiridos durante mi carrera universitaria. Considero todos los puntos tratados imprescindibles para la formación de un profesional del ambiente y lo recomiendo fuertemente.

Excellent course. Don Boyes was able to go trough the screen and transmit each concept, even at who don't share the same language (like me). In this course I learned new things and refresh knowledges acquired throughout my career. I consider all topics as indispensable to environmental professional instruction and I recommend It strongly.

By Adam C A

Oct 13, 2020

First of all, thanks to the SIr Don Boyes for a really good presentation of the subject. This course has help me a lot in terms of map designing. i've been making maps as i am assigned as geomatics analyst but only by this time that i was able to know that there are still a lot to consider when making maps. legibility and its hierarchy is very much important so as to make your map more understandable.

By Daniel F V O

Aug 7, 2020

I am liking this course a lot. This speficic section (course 2- GIS Data Acquisition and Map Design) taught me a lot of new tools I can use to make a better map. The main thing I'm taking away from this course is that I developed a more critic perspective, and I can make better choices on what elements to show on my map and how to show them.

By Ricardo D

Oct 4, 2020

This is a great course. Don Boyes is one of the best professor that I ever saw. That's a lot of useful information, good map design hints, and you will be able to create your own professional map at the ending of the course. Like that big company used to say, just do it.

By Rudra R

Jul 28, 2020

It was very informative class. Demonstrated in a simple manner with very suitable examples. Extremely glad to be part of this course. Have gained necessary knowledge which would enhance my skills in GIS which supports my academic works too. Thank you!

By Romana S

Nov 3, 2020

I Enjoy every week lectures of this course and I have learnt so many important tools and basics about GIS course. Don Boyes is an excellent professor . He is very much adroit to deliver lectures in a very understandable way.

By Euijin J

Jun 23, 2020

I really like his way of teaching. He explains things from "map creator"'s point of view. This means that he approaches the topic from how to overcome potential challenges when making maps. I highly recommend this class!

By Marino M M R

Sep 18, 2020

La forma de abordar los conceptos teóricos por parte del profesor son excelentes, se esfuerza por dejar los conceptos muy claros, lo que permite aplicarlos en cualquier campo y en cualquier herramienta. Excelente curso.

By Edward J O G

Aug 3, 2020

I learnt so much in this course and I totally recommend it, especially if you're introducing to ArcGIS software. The videos are informative and clear, and the material is very helpful. Thanks for all the learningns!

By Saqalain H

Aug 4, 2020

By Vincent C

Jun 6, 2020

Don is a fantastic teacher.

By MD. M I

Aug 17, 2020

By Jesús E M

Jun 30, 2020

Very easy, is amazing, good material, good explanation and we can make some design with the information and videos, the most important the professor explains how you evaluate the data

By Heleen B

Aug 15, 2020

This course was very helpful to get familiar with the concepts of basic map elements and lay-out, data acquisition and import and working with tables in ArcGIS. I recommend!

By CRISTIAN A U R

Aug 31, 2020

I strongly recommend this course. The instructor is very clear, and makes all the topic easily understandable. The program of the course is also very complete and coherent.

By Abas S A J

Aug 5, 2020

I received professional skills and it will develop my career , may thanks Coursera team for their hardwork and well arranged and designed courses both theory and practical

By Michelle Z L

Aug 8, 2020

I learned a lot about data acquisition, map design elements and principles. As a begginer in GIS it was great. Thanks Coursera for providing me with this opportunity!

By Shahriar I Z

Sep 6, 2020

Touched on some of the most intermediate aspects of the famed ArcGIS software. But I would request a more interactive review of the done project. Thanks anyways.