Back to HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers by Johns Hopkins University

Do you realize that the only functionality of a web application that the user directly interacts with is through the web page? Implement it poorly and, to the user, the server-side becomes irrelevant! Today’s user expects a lot out of the web page: it has to load fast, expose the desired service, and be comfortable to view on all devices: from a desktop computers to tablets and mobile phones. In this course, we will learn the basic tools that every web page coder needs to know. We will start from the ground up by learning how to implement modern web pages with HTML and CSS. We will then advance to learning how to code our pages such that its components rearrange and resize themselves automatically based on the size of the user’s screen. You’ll be able to code up a web page that will be just as useful on a mobile phone as on a desktop computer. No “pinch and zoom” required! Last but certainly not least, we will get a thorough introduction to the most ubiquitous, popular, and incredibly powerful language of the web: Javascript. Using Javascript, you will be able to build a fully functional web application that utilizes Ajax to expose server-side functionality and data to the end user....

SM
Jun 10, 2020

Actually the best online course i hv ever learnt,especially the professor yaakov is quiet outstanding.And a field trip in a online course sounds rare and good!!Thank You Coursera and yakkov for this!!

SW
Mar 14, 2016

This was a really great course, i learned so much, and it was really interesting and very well explained. I will be taking any more courses done by Yaakov! Really excellent course, thank you so much.

26 - 50 of 3,659 Reviews for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

By MohammadReza R

Dec 13, 2018

Nice Course, I learned a lot and Love it.

By Brittney P

Jan 9, 2019

Course was good, but last assignment felt lackluster. There was lots of code that was went over in the last week and it wasn't broken down at all and the assignment barely skimmed the surface. Other than that, I thought the other weeks were really well laid out and the assignments fit the subject matter.

By Denis C

Dec 23, 2020

Hi, I am writing this review in Dec. 2020. The first two weeks of training are almost great. The one thing I would add as an instructor to make these first 2 weeks great is a couple of training exercises before assigning the "bigger" assignment at the end of week 2. The reason for this is that the content covered in these 2 weeks is quite large. Therefore I felt as a learner that when I had to do what they called "assignment 2" (at the end of week 2), I had to go over the whole pedagogical content of the 2 weeks (and I am talking about 60 pages of instructions that I used to transcribe instructions and examples covered in the lessons). So a few small coding exercises would definitely help learners like me with no experience in html and css (which is what this course is made for, so they say) to retain what was covered, instead of trying to memorize the whole content covered in the first 2 weeks.

Then from week 3 onward came the difficulties. This course was created in 2014 if I am not wrong, using the framework Bootstrap 3. This framework like any other software out there has evolved quite a bit since. So I would give the first 2 weeks a 4.5 if possible.

So I would have appreciated in the course description some information about that aspect, and the fact that from week 3 onward not much of what the instructor shows in his code is valid anymore. I understand that evolution and upgrades is very much part of the field of computer science. So is the ability to problem solve, go online and look for solutions on how to solve certain issues and reach out to the community for ideas. However, when the way for me to go forward is just to look in the forum for answers to my problems and copy paste bits of code from getbootstrap.com that will (or not) work, I do not feel that I am learning much as I do not understand some bits of code I am using. The instructor does go over much of the code he uses in his lectures, but again, his comments often do not apply to the bits of code I end up using because, again, his course was created several years ago. So I feel frustrated that I have to spend xx hours per video of in most cases less than 10 minutes, trying to figure out what works and what does not and how to make it work. Because of all this, I give the whole course a 2. An upgraded version of this course is urgently needed,

Denis

By Karem O

Nov 20, 2020

Yakoov does not provide support in the forum, there are not teaching assistants so if you get stuck even if you rewatch the lectures you will not be able to get the assessments done. I tried to reach to him on Twitter but he never answered nor provided an explanation of what assessment 5 is asking for. Plus is teaching style is very difficult to follow. Dont waste your time please.

By Johanna N

Apr 30, 2018

This course sucks!! There is no way one can be a beginner and learn HTML, CSS and Javascript from this course. They jump right into really difficult stuff even in the first week and don't even go through the basics even though it says "basic". No way in hell one can learn to code from this course, such a waste of money!!!!

By Jareth J B

Nov 11, 2020

This is not for beginners. Topics on javascript are very crucial. Make it sure to identify next time if the activity is for beginner or not. Anyway, thumbs-up for the HTML, CSS, and bootstrap. Please simplify javascript next time.

By Bhuvan C J

Jun 19, 2020

course need to be updated it takes a lot of time when you stuck to a problem a then you realize its because of outdated content then it becomes very annoying.

By Lydia K

Jul 3, 2020

The HTML and CSS sections were good, especially for beginners. I took other HTML/CSS courses before and struggled with some specific concepts that this course was able to explain in a way I could understand. However, the Javascript section was very poorly taught. I can say that I have no idea about Javascript even after barely passing Weeks 4 and 5.

I think the way it was presented didn't really teach you how to do things or help you understand concepts, but rather, "This is what we need to do for this specific project, just memorize what I'm doing without any explanations for why I am doing what I am doing," in addition to the fact that you only get one coding activity per week - the final assignments. I think that the course really needs to have a system where students regularly are practicing their code they are learning, not just learn ~20 lessons and have a big assignment at the end. Maybe some students can learn through rote memorization, but I feel many students, including myself, would struggle because we aren't being taught the actual concepts.

I would honestly say that maybe after some self-study on HTML/CSS and even JS would be a better foundation, and then maybe take this course once you know the fundamentals, because if you are anything like me, you'll just need to go back to self-study for JS to understand the basics after taking this course.

By Cristhyan D B I

Dec 24, 2020

The course starts well with html and css, but once it gets to javascript it goes downhill.

From that part it just shows all the code for a website and quickly explains what that code does but never bothers actually teaching these concepts, Also it's outdated.

By Jordan L

Mar 25, 2020

out of date. git hub is completely different than the video and it's complicated trying to correlate it

By Alena M

Dec 19, 2016

First part (HTML&CSS) are good, but JS is to fast and hard to follow for the beginners.

By Lisa M

Aug 13, 2020

not very good for beginners

By A R

Mar 7, 2016

I didnt like this course. I found it to be confusing. Compared to other CSS JS HTML Courses such as the one from Michigan or Hong Kong Universities which are quite clear and crispt and refreshing, this seems like a work in progress. Confusing, convoluted, odd.

HTML CSS JS Are Actually not very difficult.

This course makes u question your own name. Makes you think basic math is Calculus. It needs work. Lots and Lots of work. I cant recommend it to anyone who is serious about learning JS HTML or CSS. It accomplishes the exact opposite.

With regards to that Chinese Restaurant field trip. What the hell man? Is this a joke? Have the lady call 1800 Web . Com and have a cookie cutter just add water web site. This segment is silly.

The rest of the segments? Confusing.

By Edoardo V

Mar 22, 2020

I started today and I already found the course outdate. I am a beginner for some of the contents and for me is already impossible to keep going through the course. They should upgrade the course and the methods. They show some Github screenshots that are very old and some functions that are not available anymore.

By Jason W

Apr 29, 2020

Unbelievably outdated videos. Reference to versions of software that are more than 20 version old. Once you are in the class you will see countless issues raised by students because the instructions don't align to current versions of software, especially github. Shame on Coursera for including this class.

By Robert C

Feb 10, 2021

Very outdated. Using Bootstrap 3 from 2013 when Bootstrap 5 is the current release. Doesn't really explain the why behind anything, just goes through the steps.

By Joe

Jan 8, 2021

The content is from 2015, and I would not recommend this course for a beginner.

By Ahsan A

Jan 25, 2021

This course is clearly outlined and builds upon itself gradually in an easy to understand way. Thanks, Johns Hopkins University for such an incredible course!

By Özer Ö

Jan 7, 2021

Thank you for teaching us the foundation of web development. One of the valuable parts was absolutely to make applications in the course

By Yash S

Jun 20, 2020

OVERALL NICE INTRODUCTORY COURSE TO ANYONE WHO WISHES TO BEGIN HIS JOURNEY IN WEB DEVELOPMENT !

By Marcos I

Jan 31, 2021

Excelent course! The instructor is amazing and funny, I really enjoy every class, specially the tour to the restaurant, the only coin I found is a little old (on the css part we work with Bootsrap 3 and currently exist Bo5) but the classes are practice, easy to follow and useful. I really recoment this course for people who want to start in the web development and doesnt know how!

By Vladimir P

Feb 22, 2021

Some concepts for Javascript were a bit confusing and required me to find outside resources for explanations, otherwise a clear course.

I did not like that the final 2 JS projects weren't to do with creating pages, but editing created code.

By Kurtis G

Jun 24, 2020

HTML and CSS modules were great for a beginner like myself. JavaScript (+AJAX) was a little rushed however and I could have benefited from a slightly slower progression and a few more, more involved assignments covering JavaScript & AJAX topics/concepts in smaller chunks . From what I've heard, the JavaScript portion is a little out of date in some aspects as well.

The course nudges you towards Yaakov's Coursera Specialization on Angular JS. I feel it should at least briefly acknowledge that currently React is a more common JavaScript framework, and new learners may be better off directing their attention to learning it instead of Angular JS.

All-in-all, still a good course. Yaakov is a fun and likable instructor. I feel that I now have a good grasp of HTML and CSS but will be seeking further understanding on the basics of JavaScript as well as some more advanced CSS.

By Gianluca G

Oct 26, 2016

Lessons on html and css are very good, better than other coursera classes, so I suggest you to give a look at those. In general, the teacher is very good, even though I found the javascript part less deepen. A week, and partially the last week, are dedicated to the construction of a restaturant site. Unfortunately, the student role is pretty passive: you'll just look the teacher at work, you'll not build a site in this course. I skipped much of those lessons. But the most disappointing point is for me the excessive simplicity of the assignments. The assignments are the primary reason why I decided to take a MOOC instaed of simply reading a book. I expected much (interesting) assignments and much more practice...

By Ann N

Apr 13, 2020

First, the content of the course is too old for the ongoing changes in technology and how to do things - Github and Node, for example. There should be, at a minimum, additional instructions to correct the content of the video or make it currently-valid. Students spent a huge amount of time trying to find out what they had done wrong and how to mitigate. Second, the instructions are for professionals. The instructor just goes to destination (like launching Shell on his Mac), but no explanation on how to get there. again, students have to spend a lot of time figuring things out. I think if people already know how to do things and just want certificate, then this is a good way to get their paper quickly.