Back to HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers by Johns Hopkins University

Do you realize that the only functionality of a web application that the user directly interacts with is through the web page? Implement it poorly and, to the user, the server-side becomes irrelevant! Today’s user expects a lot out of the web page: it has to load fast, expose the desired service, and be comfortable to view on all devices: from a desktop computers to tablets and mobile phones. In this course, we will learn the basic tools that every web page coder needs to know. We will start from the ground up by learning how to implement modern web pages with HTML and CSS. We will then advance to learning how to code our pages such that its components rearrange and resize themselves automatically based on the size of the user’s screen. You’ll be able to code up a web page that will be just as useful on a mobile phone as on a desktop computer. No “pinch and zoom” required! Last but certainly not least, we will get a thorough introduction to the most ubiquitous, popular, and incredibly powerful language of the web: Javascript. Using Javascript, you will be able to build a fully functional web application that utilizes Ajax to expose server-side functionality and data to the end user....

SM
Jun 10, 2020

Actually the best online course i hv ever learnt,especially the professor yaakov is quiet outstanding.And a field trip in a online course sounds rare and good!!Thank You Coursera and yakkov for this!!

YV

Many thanks to the creators of this course! It was a very solid refresher for me, even though I have spent in web development a few years by now. I thoroughly enjoyed every lesson. Thank you, Yaakov!

26 - 50 of 4,407 Reviews for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

By xumin C

Nov 29, 2018

I learn a lot about HTML and CSS3

By Karem O

Nov 20, 2020

Yakoov does not provide support in the forum, there are not teaching assistants so if you get stuck even if you rewatch the lectures you will not be able to get the assessments done. I tried to reach to him on Twitter but he never answered nor provided an explanation of what assessment 5 is asking for. Plus is teaching style is very difficult to follow. Dont waste your time please.

By MohammadReza R

Dec 13, 2018

Nice Course, I learned a lot and Love it.

By Sophia G

Apr 25, 2021

Dear Yaakov and the whole Johns Hopkins team that makes up this course,

at 57, I am probably the oldest grandmother who took up this course. My older brother at 68 tried to take on a similar online course but discontinued after a week so I was kinda scared getting into it. I appreciate the fact that Yaakov was straightforward in all the lectures and really kept in mind that everybody was a newbie. It helps that each lecture is short and focuses on just 1 or 2 concepts. After 2 weeks, I then felt more confident to continue. I highly recommend that each student invests in any of the recommended textbooks to gain a more in-depth understanding of the concepts and for additional practice tests. I got a 2nd hand copy of Jennifer Robbins' textbook from Amazon and it helped me a lot, but I had to take the course slower as I was absorbing both the online lectures and the textbook lessons. I really laughed hard at the invitation to be a mentor... really? Javascript bangled my brain, I think... Anyway, thanks a lot... I am moving on to apply what I learned in developing a simple online learning platform for youth farmers in the Philippines on Agroecology and Organic Farming, in the vernacular. Thanks Yaakov and the Johns Hopkins engineering dept team! Maraming salamat at Mabuhay!

By Joe

Jan 8, 2021

The content is from 2015, and I would not recommend this course for a beginner.

By Aditi T

Jul 18, 2021

This was a really great course, i learned so much, and it was really interesting and very well explained.And the field trip was good .Thank you Coursera and Yaakov Chaikin for this wonderful course !

By Johanna N

Apr 30, 2018

This course sucks!! There is no way one can be a beginner and learn HTML, CSS and Javascript from this course. They jump right into really difficult stuff even in the first week and don't even go through the basics even though it says "basic". No way in hell one can learn to code from this course, such a waste of money!!!!

By Jason W

Apr 29, 2020

Unbelievably outdated videos. Reference to versions of software that are more than 20 version old. Once you are in the class you will see countless issues raised by students because the instructions don't align to current versions of software, especially github. Shame on Coursera for including this class.

By Charles R

Feb 4, 2017

The course is quite thorough for a basic course and is challenging in pace. The work load is higher than the guidelines suggest for someone who hasn't done any programming for a while and is not familiar with object-oriented programming

Yaakov is very knowledgeable and presents the material in an accessible way. He throws in some humor, which helps with absorbing the material. The quizzes are good learning guides and are appropriate for the material in the course. They require some thought, but adhere to the topics in the course without assuming additional knowledge. The exercises are difficult and take more time than the listings. But the reference materials are helpful and the online forums are very useful in clarifying points of uncertainty. I found some of the assignment descriptions, especially in modules four and five, to be unclear and it took some additional research to understand the intent of the task.

The registration process and installation of the needed software was clearly explained and easy to accomplish. The software worked well with the course and enhanced the learning experience. I especially liked the way BrowserSync worked with Sublime Text and Chrome. The Chrome analysis tools are very useful. The use of Github as a coordinating platform worked well, for submitting assignments. The Coursera UI was very efficient at tracking progress and coordinating the peer level reviewing.

Overall, I enjoyed the course and found it well worth the effort despite the few frustrating hours that always accompany grasping new skills.

By Ekampreet S

Feb 20, 2021

First of all I would like to thank Mr. Yaakov for producing such a wonderful course, albeit I would like you to take this course with a little forethought. The thing is, this course was made a long time ago and some technologies discussed here are not updated according to the present scenario, like the latest Bootstrap version is 5 and I had a lot of difficulties in replicating the website that Mr. Yaakov was developing. But it was my own choice, the course didn't require me to make that website, I wanted to do it just to make myself understand the course better. I didn't had much difficulty apart from the Bootstrap queries and Stack Overflow forums helped a lot.

So, I will leave you with this suggestion: Yaakov's teaching and explaining skills are awesome, but just keep your mind open to this fact that some things like Bootstrap are not relevant to the present scenario and you should be ready to replace that knowledge with updated knowledge from new courses, but definitely go through this course for a better hold of the basics... :)

By Ahsan A

Jan 25, 2021

This course is clearly outlined and builds upon itself gradually in an easy to understand way. Thanks, Johns Hopkins University for such an incredible course!

By Özer Ö

Jan 7, 2021

Thank you for teaching us the foundation of web development. One of the valuable parts was absolutely to make applications in the course

By Yash S

Jun 20, 2020

OVERALL NICE INTRODUCTORY COURSE TO ANYONE WHO WISHES TO BEGIN HIS JOURNEY IN WEB DEVELOPMENT !

By Brittney P

Jan 9, 2019

Course was good, but last assignment felt lackluster. There was lots of code that was went over in the last week and it wasn't broken down at all and the assignment barely skimmed the surface. Other than that, I thought the other weeks were really well laid out and the assignments fit the subject matter.

By Denis C

Dec 23, 2020

Hi, I am writing this review in Dec. 2020. The first two weeks of training are almost great. The one thing I would add as an instructor to make these first 2 weeks great is a couple of training exercises before assigning the "bigger" assignment at the end of week 2. The reason for this is that the content covered in these 2 weeks is quite large. Therefore I felt as a learner that when I had to do what they called "assignment 2" (at the end of week 2), I had to go over the whole pedagogical content of the 2 weeks (and I am talking about 60 pages of instructions that I used to transcribe instructions and examples covered in the lessons). So a few small coding exercises would definitely help learners like me with no experience in html and css (which is what this course is made for, so they say) to retain what was covered, instead of trying to memorize the whole content covered in the first 2 weeks.

Then from week 3 onward came the difficulties. This course was created in 2014 if I am not wrong, using the framework Bootstrap 3. This framework like any other software out there has evolved quite a bit since. So I would give the first 2 weeks a 4.5 if possible.

So I would have appreciated in the course description some information about that aspect, and the fact that from week 3 onward not much of what the instructor shows in his code is valid anymore. I understand that evolution and upgrades is very much part of the field of computer science. So is the ability to problem solve, go online and look for solutions on how to solve certain issues and reach out to the community for ideas. However, when the way for me to go forward is just to look in the forum for answers to my problems and copy paste bits of code from getbootstrap.com that will (or not) work, I do not feel that I am learning much as I do not understand some bits of code I am using. The instructor does go over much of the code he uses in his lectures, but again, his comments often do not apply to the bits of code I end up using because, again, his course was created several years ago. So I feel frustrated that I have to spend xx hours per video of in most cases less than 10 minutes, trying to figure out what works and what does not and how to make it work. Because of all this, I give the whole course a 2. An upgraded version of this course is urgently needed,

Denis

By Alena M

Dec 19, 2016

First part (HTML&CSS) are good, but JS is to fast and hard to follow for the beginners.

By Edoardo V

Mar 22, 2020

I started today and I already found the course outdate. I am a beginner for some of the contents and for me is already impossible to keep going through the course. They should upgrade the course and the methods. They show some Github screenshots that are very old and some functions that are not available anymore.

By Benoit K

Nov 24, 2020

Not a very good course. They state that people "tinker" with css or javascript. Once you've completed the course, you'll be able to say that you've tinkered but I'm 100% sure that you won't really understand html, css and javascript.

By José P

Jan 12, 2017

I wanted to write this review just when I'd finished the course, when I have seen all.

I want to thank Prof. Chaikin for this great course. I really liked it and enjoyed all the material. I'm new to HTML, CSS and JavaScript and the course just enlighten me a lot. I had the opportunity to understand a HTML, CSS and JavaScript file, and I know that now I can write a web page and a web application. Now it's a matter of time and dedication by my part. I also realize that my knowledge of Java still applies with JS. I really enjoyed our field trip to Baltimore. Thanks, Prof. Chaikin, for going with us and for sharing, more than the course itself, part of your being. I can tell you are an excellent person. I had lots of knowledge and fun. Thanks again, Prof. Chaikin. I was very nice to meet you...

I Also want to thank Coursera and Johns Hopkins University for made it possible for the course to be in my laptop near the countryside in Colombia. Thank you!

By Raven C

Jul 25, 2020

A great introduction to front-end web development. The peer-graded assignments motivate me to keep going and stick to the deadlines. The restaurant project teaches not only technologies but also design. However, there are still some aspects where I'd like to see an improvement:

Firstly, as a course designed five years ago, the technical details are a little bit outdated though. Bootstrap 4 has been released, and ES6 has been widely supported. Although the essense does not change, I'm still looking forward to the updates of the course.

Secondly, I'd like to point out that objects are not passed by references in Javascript. Just like in Python, the value of the reference is copied and passed. Sometimes this makes a difference.

Finally, the book recommendation in every week is the same. Why not categorize the books and put them in related weeks? Also, it's sufficient to put the "Connect with me" section in the first and the last weeks.

By Kurtis G

Jun 24, 2020

HTML and CSS modules were great for a beginner like myself. JavaScript (+AJAX) was a little rushed however and I could have benefited from a slightly slower progression and a few more, more involved assignments covering JavaScript & AJAX topics/concepts in smaller chunks . From what I've heard, the JavaScript portion is a little out of date in some aspects as well.

The course nudges you towards Yaakov's Coursera Specialization on Angular JS. I feel it should at least briefly acknowledge that currently React is a more common JavaScript framework, and new learners may be better off directing their attention to learning it instead of Angular JS.

All-in-all, still a good course. Yaakov is a fun and likable instructor. I feel that I now have a good grasp of HTML and CSS but will be seeking further understanding on the basics of JavaScript as well as some more advanced CSS.

By Ann N

Apr 13, 2020

First, the content of the course is too old for the ongoing changes in technology and how to do things - Github and Node, for example. There should be, at a minimum, additional instructions to correct the content of the video or make it currently-valid. Students spent a huge amount of time trying to find out what they had done wrong and how to mitigate. Second, the instructions are for professionals. The instructor just goes to destination (like launching Shell on his Mac), but no explanation on how to get there. again, students have to spend a lot of time figuring things out. I think if people already know how to do things and just want certificate, then this is a good way to get their paper quickly.

By Nguyen T L

Feb 17, 2021

Course was great. But these are its flaws: not really fit for beginners; too fast-paced and leave out the important parts for students to figure out themselves; module 5 was exceptionally difficult, one could not simply understand what's going on unless they have some previous knowledge on the subject; github deployment was made unnecessarily complicated as the professor's instruction on environment setting was too outdated (over 5 years ago). Having said that, if you already have experience on Javascript, module 4 and 5 would help you a lot to revise and strengthen what you know. Greatly recommended. Big thanks to Yaakov Chaikin for this great course.

By Jareth J B

Nov 11, 2020

This is not for beginners. Topics on javascript are very crucial. Make it sure to identify next time if the activity is for beginner or not. Anyway, thumbs-up for the HTML, CSS, and bootstrap. Please simplify javascript next time.

By Bhuvan C J

Jun 19, 2020

course need to be updated it takes a lot of time when you stuck to a problem a then you realize its because of outdated content then it becomes very annoying.