Back to HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers by Johns Hopkins University

Do you realize that the only functionality of a web application that the user directly interacts with is through the web page? Implement it poorly and, to the user, the server-side becomes irrelevant! Today’s user expects a lot out of the web page: it has to load fast, expose the desired service, and be comfortable to view on all devices: from a desktop computers to tablets and mobile phones. In this course, we will learn the basic tools that every web page coder needs to know. We will start from the ground up by learning how to implement modern web pages with HTML and CSS. We will then advance to learning how to code our pages such that its components rearrange and resize themselves automatically based on the size of the user’s screen. You’ll be able to code up a web page that will be just as useful on a mobile phone as on a desktop computer. No “pinch and zoom” required! Last but certainly not least, we will get a thorough introduction to the most ubiquitous, popular, and incredibly powerful language of the web: Javascript. Using Javascript, you will be able to build a fully functional web application that utilizes Ajax to expose server-side functionality and data to the end user....

SM
Jun 10, 2020

Actually the best online course i hv ever learnt,especially the professor yaakov is quiet outstanding.And a field trip in a online course sounds rare and good!!Thank You Coursera and yakkov for this!!

YV

Many thanks to the creators of this course! It was a very solid refresher for me, even though I have spent in web development a few years by now. I thoroughly enjoyed every lesson. Thank you, Yaakov!

76 - 100 of 4,388 Reviews for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

By Diego G M

Jan 29, 2021

Teaches you the basics on HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. However, many parts of the course are outdated. I only recommend the first two parts of the course.

By Lydia K

Jul 3, 2020

The HTML and CSS sections were good, especially for beginners. I took other HTML/CSS courses before and struggled with some specific concepts that this course was able to explain in a way I could understand. However, the Javascript section was very poorly taught. I can say that I have no idea about Javascript even after barely passing Weeks 4 and 5.

I think the way it was presented didn't really teach you how to do things or help you understand concepts, but rather, "This is what we need to do for this specific project, just memorize what I'm doing without any explanations for why I am doing what I am doing," in addition to the fact that you only get one coding activity per week - the final assignments. I think that the course really needs to have a system where students regularly are practicing their code they are learning, not just learn ~20 lessons and have a big assignment at the end. Maybe some students can learn through rote memorization, but I feel many students, including myself, would struggle because we aren't being taught the actual concepts.

I would honestly say that maybe after some self-study on HTML/CSS and even JS would be a better foundation, and then maybe take this course once you know the fundamentals, because if you are anything like me, you'll just need to go back to self-study for JS to understand the basics after taking this course.

By Nikolai H

May 23, 2021

5 years out of date; you are directed to the FAQ to solve some issues related to this, but a big chunk of this course is based on Bootstrap 1, when the version number is now Bootstrap 5, and many of the things he teaches have changed completely. You'll have unlearn some of your notes from that segment.

You are not told until Week 4 that you are expected to have basic programming experience to understand the Javascript portion, and that you will struggle if you don't. He suggests finding a basic programming tutorial somewhere, but gives no specific resources. The basics I was able to find online did not help me with what he was teaching, and it was extremely frustrating. I was barely able to finish the course. In a course that is otherwise for absolute beginners, that prerequisite should have been stated up front.

Even if it was up to date, I would hesitate to rate this course well. I learned a fair amount in the HTML & CSS segments, and it was useful to see his process for building an actual website, but there were many convoluted explanations even then. And frankly I'm really annoyed that I was only told I need a programming background after already investing 3+ weeks in this course - past the refund threshold, for those paying for certificates. I would have chosen a different course if I'd known.

By Anik R

May 3, 2020

I would be very very happy if i could give 5 star to this course beacuse the instructor is awesome and he explained things beautifully but THE COURSE IS PRETTY OUTDATED.

I am struggling from the beginning this course as the course is recorded in 2015 or 2016 now github changes a lot,somehow I figured out Github but the main problem is Bootstrap.Oh man thats really frushtating week 3.They used bootstrap version 1 but in 2020 bootstrap 4.3.1 is running . In 2020 these are not Acceptable

By Sahil J

Aug 9, 2020

Its very confusing when you dont have same options and things dont happen the same way

By zeenat p

Jan 7, 2021

Some issue in completion of this course.....can u plz hlp me??

By Jayden O

Feb 11, 2021

jumps really fast with out much explanation

By Aldo R A A

Jul 8, 2020

Very outdated

By Michael S

Aug 4, 2021

No doubt this was a good course in it's day but the videos are five years old and everyone associated with the course seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth around the same time. The Github site seems to be gone and the last post on the course blog is from October of 2017. Predictably, the first time you are asked to do something in the course with the software, the instructions don't make sense because there have been about 500 updates to each of the software components since the video. On the second command I'm asked to perform, my command prompt doesn't recognize the command and that's it. There's no one to answer questions and nothing you can do except try to find another course.

On a positive note, if you are lonely and trying to find someone to talk to, there are about fifty discussion board pages of frustrated students asking questions that have zero replies, so y'all would probably hit it off.

By Bogdan C

Apr 10, 2020

Obsolete. You are required to install a program called Node, in the video there are n steps, in reality, there are n+x steps. When he checks the version he has 4.something, I have 12.something. Not to mention that the program comes with all sort of other things that are installed (that are not in the video) - that I have no idea what they are. The GitHub current layout does not match the video, and at some point, you are required to press a button that no longer exists. Bottom line, the course is obsolete and don't trust that the things the software was supposed to do 5 years ago still does today.

By Tip 0

Oct 8, 2020

EL CURSO ES MUY MALO HAY MEJORES CURSOS Y MAS COMPLETOS EN YOUTUBE, POR EJEMPLO EL DE PILDORAS INFORMATICAS, SI BIEN LA TEMATICA ES INTERESANTE EL CONTENIDO DEJA MUCHO DE DESEAR

By Matthew M

Feb 27, 2021

I had to quit the course right at the beginning as all the setup instructions are out of date and I knew I was in for a very frustrating experience.

By Syahid S

Oct 18, 2020

Materials are outdated right at the start. A real downer and it really made me not wanna continue this course.

By Bahar F

May 11, 2021

I was beginner and it was so complicated and disordered. It was not helpful at all.

By ziad

Nov 13, 2020

too slow

By Artem I

Sep 9, 2021

A very solid course about front-end basics. Many authors avoid the deep dive to mechanics of the technologies they teach in order to simplify the course and attract novices, but not this one. And that’s truly exciting! Moreover, many trainers and mentors teach you how to do something, but they do not mention how to use this knowledge, when the course is over. How to start? What is the yesterday’s novice supposed to do in order to start his or her own carrier? Mr. Yaakov Chaikin gives not just a direction, but also a bunch of advices on how to communicate with the client, what strategy should a novice build to undertake the first steps on the path to the Junior developer position, etc.

Many reviewers admit, that the course is outdated (in 2021) in terms of environment setup and Bootstrap version. Yes, this course is about Bootstrap 3 and there is Bootstrap 5 out there. Moreover, while float-based elements had been used in Bootstrap 3 to create an adaptive layout, the flex-based (sadly, CSS flex is not mentioned in this course as well as CSS Grid) elements moved in with Bootstrap 4. Similar situation is with Bootstrap 5: Jquery library is not utilized in it. But I say, all these things are not disadvantages but opportunities. Opportunities to learn something by yourself, to improve your skill in navigating in the seas of information flows (joking, just surf through MDN, Bootstrap documentation and stackoverflow) and to be ready for tomorrow’s version of the web, because it is very dynamic.

As for me, I was an adept of HTML 4 😂 But this course brought me to the actual state of arts in the front-end world and yes, I’ve learned several things by myself but with the motivation and foundation I’ve got in this course. Last but not least, JavaScript part of this course ruined my underestimation of this language, because Mr. Chaikin showed its power and core mechanics (so often omitted on the Internet).

Conclusion: solid 5 stars.

P.S. I sincerely wish to see the 2022 version of this course.

By Zhai_

Aug 22, 2021

First of all, great course. You can't be lazy, if you do, you'll have to really pay for it in the future. Though the content is not exactly updated, if you don't know how to use Bootstrap 3, then just Google the documentations and spend 30 minutes reading it, completely worth it.

Module 1:

Very simple HTML, everything you need to know before moving onto CSS.

Module 2:

A lot of useful knowledge, such as "The Box Layout", custom responsive frameworks, pseudo classes (very used, such as changing the color of a button when you hover over it, etc.) and more things you can't go make a website without knowing.

Module 3:

A lot of basic Bootstrap things, though right now the latest Bootstrap version is 5v, a lot of things are from Bootstrap 3 and they'll be there. (except for Glyphicons, I recommend you searching up how to insert icons to websites using "fontawesome", took me a while to find out). With only being at Module 3, I was able to make websites that looked decent, but meh.

Module 4:

Oh boy, this is where the sea becomes the ocean and waves become tsunamis; first of all, I found it a bit confusing despite having knowledge on a similar programming language (LUA, not so similar but it's a programming language). The Module 4 assignment is a complete trick, you don't even need the other 2 sayHello.js and sayGoodbye.js files if you think hard enough, which really feels good when you do.

Module 5:

Well, Module 5 has around 4 hours worth of content (very short if you ask me), and AJAX is pretty important in a website. This is where if you have ADHD, you'll have a incredibly hard time, because here every information is going to influence whether you'll spend 30 minutes on the assignment, like expected or spend 4 days searching stack overflow on how to make a random number generator.

Overall, great course, the first 3 Modules shouldn't be a challenge to anyone, I'm 13 and I went through it, so no excuses about being too young or something.

By Abu A

May 6, 2021

I enjoyed all the courses of HTML, CSS and Java Script for Web Developers

very much. Its very helpful Course for Web Developers.

I learn various things related to Web development and completely enjoyed it.

I want to thank Yaakov Sir as he's presence is a motivating for me.

Thank you sir for teaching me all the concepts especially JS.

Time to Time Project is also good as it helps to furnish the concept we studied.

By Emmanouil K

May 7, 2021

Great course, offering a wide area of information, from using github and git to HTML, CSS, Bootstrap and JavaScript. Also a bit more advanced than many other courses but surely worth it.

By Nariman M

May 2, 2021

This course is helpful for my foundation in web development. Somethings are outdated but main point is learning. And if you want, you can learn everything from anything.

By Muhammad U M

May 5, 2021

It was quite a good experience and everything was just amazing. Especial thanks to Sir who told everything in detail.

By Christian H W

May 8, 2021

Amazing course/1 if you are looking to ramp up your web development skillsets this is definitely the course to take.

By Patrick J C M

May 4, 2021

Fue un curso excelente, espero volver a tomar otro curso de Yaakov lo mas pronto posible. Gracias