Back to HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers by Johns Hopkins University

Do you realize that the only functionality of a web application that the user directly interacts with is through the web page? Implement it poorly and, to the user, the server-side becomes irrelevant! Today’s user expects a lot out of the web page: it has to load fast, expose the desired service, and be comfortable to view on all devices: from a desktop computers to tablets and mobile phones. In this course, we will learn the basic tools that every web page coder needs to know. We will start from the ground up by learning how to implement modern web pages with HTML and CSS. We will then advance to learning how to code our pages such that its components rearrange and resize themselves automatically based on the size of the user’s screen. You’ll be able to code up a web page that will be just as useful on a mobile phone as on a desktop computer. No “pinch and zoom” required! Last but certainly not least, we will get a thorough introduction to the most ubiquitous, popular, and incredibly powerful language of the web: Javascript. Using Javascript, you will be able to build a fully functional web application that utilizes Ajax to expose server-side functionality and data to the end user....

SM
Jun 10, 2020

Actually the best online course i hv ever learnt,especially the professor yaakov is quiet outstanding.And a field trip in a online course sounds rare and good!!Thank You Coursera and yakkov for this!!

AT
Jul 17, 2021

This was a really great course, i learned so much, and it was really interesting and very well explained.And the field trip was good .Thank you Coursera and Yaakov Chaikin for this wonderful course !

3551 - 3575 of 4,093 Reviews for HTML, CSS, and Javascript for Web Developers

By Marc D

Nov 22, 2020

By all means, this course is extremely magnificent.

I just rated it a 4 star over five, because it needs an update since it is published in 2015 (the content is still really educational). I think Professor Yaakov should do an update for this awesome 6 weeks course.

But by all means, it is truly beneficial!

Great job #coursera

Magnificent job Professor Yaakov

By Marcos V

Oct 23, 2020

The course is overall great, the materials are a bit outdated, so it's recommended to use old versions of things, like bootstrap 3, but it's not a big deal. I will say that the last week just gets way too difficult very suddenly, I think it needs a little more of a learning curve consideration for the JS and especially the Ajax sections of the course.

By Pulkit M

Jun 8, 2020

A wonderful course which helped me to make my first website and learn the basics of HTML, css and js. However I believe that in the final week, explanations could have been better as most of the times things went straight over my head and I wasn’t able to keep up with the instructor. But still, it was worth enrolling in the course and I’m really happy

By Ajinkya V

Sep 3, 2020

It was great experience learning this course later confusion started so I ve rated it 4 although.

Reasons why I rated it 4 :

1.Not taught ES6 which is demanded nowadays

2.AJAX not properly explain (according to me) although its okay because AJAX was not main motive in the course.

Atlast I can say one of best course .Thats it ,Keep it up.

By Patti L

Feb 6, 2021

I loved this class and the instructor.

GitHub was a class of it's own.

Would liked to see the class documentation match the current assignments.

The Discussion forums are way to large and full of content for peer reviews. Would be nice to be able to access the content for none review questions in a different link.

Great Experience!

By SIDDARTH K - 4

Aug 15, 2020

A Good and worth course to learn. It helps you to build an good foundation in HTML and CSS and a little introduction to JavaScript in the case of beginners. Sir Yaakov Chaikin is great at explaining topics. Thank you very much for him and the entire Johns Hopkins team for providing us such an wonderful course. Thank you very much.

By Arthur A F

Mar 11, 2016

The Ajax part was my favorite part of the course, i'll not give a five star because third week for me was a little to much talk, i know its importante to talk about getting specs with the client or following a wireframe, but we have another courses for that, and sometimes thas was not how it happens in the real world

By Wilterson F

Good course, however I missed javascript troubleshooting (use the browser dev tool to step through the code). Also, it would be helpful to mention right of the bat the used technology stack and *version* (I only noticed it was based off bootstrap 3 halfway through the course, when we reached the bootstrap lectures)

By vms

Nov 18, 2016

Have completed 3 weeks, and find the course very good.

Lot of effort to build the content, very clear and detailed and explanation and if you repeat it yourself while going thru the lecture, the concepts will be get much more clearer.

Programming is all about practice, but this could be a very good starting point.

By Suyash A

Jun 25, 2019

I loved the course. It has a mix of everything that is needed to create a simple website.

The only constructive feedback from my side is to redesign the structure for Week 4 and Week 5 because the CORE concepts are taught very QUICKLY. Also, the assignments should include more coding without much spoon-feeding.

By Vlad X

Apr 13, 2020

It's a very good meginner to intermediate course but I can only give it 4 stars because it used outdated float-based framework like Bootstrap 3 instead of a flexbox-based like Bootstrap 4. All in all, it was worth taking it and I'm hoping it will be updated when Mr Yaakov has some spare time.

Thanks Yaakov!

By Charalampos K

Jan 31, 2017

You learn how to produce a viable webiste and a lot of things that can help you develop your skills as a web developer.Sure it can get better because some things are not clarrified and u might have difficult time starting and learning the fundamentals and the logic of how to use the tools you are given.

By Ivan Y

Oct 3, 2020

A good starting point for learning HTML, CSS and JS - will give you the very basics for these 3 technologies. But be careful - it's only useful for beginners. Also CSS is based on bootstrap 3 that at the current moment is a bit outdated (in 2020 there is a Bootstrap 4 with a big\dramatic changes)

By Alejandro M

First 3 sections were clear and concise but the last 2 were not so. All information was helpful along but the last 2 sections were not very beginner friendly. I'm not sure if this is what this course was meant for but explaining a little more and slower would be helpful for newer developers.

By Lauren S

Jun 8, 2020

The first half is great for beginners but the second half definitely gets more challenging if you're completely new, which they do tell you but it's a bit frustrating to find out later once you've already started and have momentum. Otherwise the course is well taught, and very informative.

By Shahzaib K

Sep 11, 2020

It is one of the best course of Coursera, It helps me to enter the world of coding, however as a beginner I found some time course has more pace then my understanding. Overall the course is outstanding and would recommend every beginner who wants to pursue their career in web development.

By Luis C

May 31, 2021

Definitely learned a lot taking this course. I knew a fair amount of front end development before taking this course, but this course just helped me build and hone my skills as a front end developer. I definitely recommend this course to anyone looking to get into front end development.

By Hemanth P H

Oct 28, 2020

Good course. The course is good for those who have intermediate coding skill, but it would really hectic for those who are just beginners because the instructor would run through some topics and mostly while using the code editor it starts getting hectic.

But overall, it was worth it.

By domenico c

Nov 22, 2020

Excellent course! Last module was tough and I think quite fast paced compared to the rest of it. JS does not use let and const, so I think a more up to date versione of this course would be beneficial. Overall excellent course with great examples! The forum is very helpful resource.

By Diego S

Jul 27, 2020

Very nice course, I learned a lot from it, and met all of my expectations. Perhaps it would be better to have better explanations on some of the lectures on weeks 3 and 5, because of the use of commands that weren't taught in the course per se. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot!

By Nicholas V

Mar 15, 2016

The course was great. Everything is explained simply yet with a great amount of detail. The staff was superb in their support and responsiveness. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is the length. I feel like the JS/AJAX portion could/should be two weeks instead of 1.

By ATHANASOPOULOS A

Dec 14, 2020

the pacing was a bit bad,in the begging it was kind of slow and it got extremly fast at the end,but it was managable,the only real issue is that a lot of things need updates because it concluded in broken code that didn't work and it need a lot of work to do basic stuff

By Alejandro A J

Sep 18, 2020

It is a good course for begginers, everything is well explainm, though somethings are outdated, you can still learn the basic and start from there to keep improving you knowledge. It gives you the basic in HTML, CSS and Javascript. Hopefully one day it will be updated

By Joel B

May 11, 2016

This was a good course. The most valuable parts were the practical tips: using the Chrome developer tools, showing console.log(), etc. The first two assignments were challenging and fun. The last two on javascript were a bit less useful, but overall a very good course.

By Yuri P

Feb 12, 2021

It's a good basic course, but an update is needed. Bootstrap version 3 is taught, but now there is version 5 which is very different. Some theories and concepts are also very dated. However, if you study the updates by yourself, it remains a very good starting course.