Back to Introduction to Imagemaking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Imagemaking by California Institute of the Arts

This course for serious makers, and for students new to imagemaking. Imagemaking is a fluid and exciting area of graphic design that comes out of practice and process: experimenting fearlessly, showing and sharing ideas, and giving and receiving knowledgeable and constructive input. For the sake of this online platform, we have applied some structure to our investigations, but for the most part imagemaking is loose and unstructured. If we must adopt a rule in this course it is only this: you will not become a graphic designer by watching videos alone. Or, don't just make stuff just in your head. So here, the focus here is on making, and you are expected to devote serious time and intellectual energy to that activity in this course. Specifically, you will: - experiment with a range of materials and techniques to make images for graphic design - expand your visual vocabulary both in terms of making and talking about work, in order to discuss your work and work of others - learn how to make, manipulate and arrange images to create compositions, eventually culminating in the design and production of an-image-based book. The first half of the course is an opportunity to experiment and explore imagemaking in order to expand your visual vocabulary. You will create pieces that are expressive, meditative, or 'design-y' to instigate, evoke, experiment, record, explain, or try out a media. In the second two weeks, we’ll invite the images to deliberately and intentionally carry meaning and communication through relational moves like juxtaposition, composition, and context. We’ll look at developing and expanding the range of approaches for putting things together by composing page spreads with your images. Since nothing exists without context, we look at how to intentionally drive the image’s connotations, meanings, and associations generated through elements of composition and “visual contrasts.” Ultimately, we will take the images that you create and make a book from them. The results of your assignments (and experiments) may generate something completely unknowable now or in the future—and that's the goal....

ID
May 21, 2019

Very useful course. Really puts you to practice. I learned a lot and feel encouraged to continue. Reviewing other peer's work was inspiring and gave me fresh ideas about what I could have done better.

LC
Oct 8, 2017

I'm so happy i did this course. Gail, you're amazing and you made my imagination go wild with just your words. I can see you love your craft and that's very inspiring. Enjoyed this course all the way!

451 - 469 of 469 Reviews for Introduction to Imagemaking

By Rui A M d S

I was a bit disappointed with this part of the course I felt I didn't improve my skills. Maybe works better for people that are looking for a really basic introduction to image-making. The information available was very rudimental and in a very storytelling book. It was kind of boring, I wish it would have been more modern and more graphic.

By valerie

Sep 2, 2020

This is the weakest of all the graphic design courses offered in this specialization. The assignments can be done in 10min or less and require very little effort or creativity. The content is basic with videos explaining what a book is and how to rotate or resize objects. If possible I would recommend skipping this module.

By Yuliya S

Oct 14, 2019

It's a very abstract course. Peer review is absolutely useless here. I made some images but I didn't learn something new or interesting. Teacher's information is very unclear and sketchy. Very strong contrast with the previous two courses from the specification in a bad way for this course.

By Tim V

Aug 29, 2020

While a number of broad subjects are covered, the video sections are scant and light on helpful details. An absolutely absurd amount of time was spent looking over old art books. I could have gotten more information from watching YouTube videos than I did from going through this course.

By Alim B

Jan 10, 2021

I like the concepts mentioned. But they aren't explained well. It would have been great if they were explained in detail. Also the assignment instructions are confusing. I saw many peers confused as their submissions seemed uninformed or they lacked enough clarity on concepts.

By Julija S

Oct 26, 2020

I have waited much more from the imagemaking course, but at the end it was quite difficult for me to push myself to make exercises, as I found them boring and senseless. Many topics were repeated during the course. I have learned almost nothing new.

By mahnoor a

Nov 27, 2020

The level of difficulty on this course was much higher than previous ones and due to the leap in difficulty levels, I could not keep up. Instructions on this course also did not prove to be sufficient for timely completion.

By Patrick C

Jun 26, 2018

The worst course of the Graphic Design Specialisation so far.Unclear instructions for each assignment and too much asked for so that the focus becomes on getting them done rather than producing pieces of quality.

By Leticia C R

May 11, 2016

I understand it was a more practical course but still more information would have been great. Same assignments but more information would have been great. Other courses had more videos.

By Mary E C

Nov 5, 2020

I honestly didn't learn much from this course. Some of the conventional information about graphics were already included in the first course from the Graphic Design Specialization.

By Pragati N

Sep 26, 2020

The instructions in assignments are very complicated and there is no response from staff in forum

By Arshla J

Sep 24, 2016

Quite a repetition of Fundamentals of Graphics Design, the first course in the specilization.

By galvaron123

Aug 10, 2020

I thought that the assignments were artistically restricting...

By Hiro W

One of assignments was really confusing...

By Disha S

Jan 8, 2021

I have already enrolled and paid for this course but I am not able to take classes. I had to take a break due to some reasons and it was not mentioned anywhere that I had to complete the course in a particular period of time. My money is really important to me and also I really wanted to take the classes. I would request coursera to look into this problem. I really want to continue this course.

Please help!

( Also, coursera has no email address, contact no. or any other medium to complain on. )

By Matthew

Jun 20, 2016

I was quite disappointed with this class. The videos and instructions are very short and the information is lacking. When reviewing other classmates material it was quite clear that people were confused with the assignments because I saw such a huge range of submissions that were very different from each other.

I found the material to be very similar to the first course in this specialization; both asked very similar things but this class didn't add much to the process.

By Lili C

Apr 13, 2016

I thought this course would be more fun and interesting but I find it VERY repetitive with the Fundamentals of Graphic Design. If you buy the package it kind of seems like I wasted $79 dollars on a repetitive and monotone professor and course. I would not recommend this course within the specialization.

By Jelena B

Aug 25, 2020

Very disappointed that after 14 days I still didn't get the answer from mentors regarding the problem I had with peer review. For 45 euros per month there should be more than just pre recorded videos.

By Broderick S

Aug 15, 2016

A weaker version of "Fundamentals of Graphic Design" with way too much overlap. It should not be included in the Specialization.