Back to Introduction to CSS3

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to CSS3 by University of Michigan

The web today is almost unrecognizable from the early days of white pages with lists of blue links. Now, sites are designed with complex layouts, unique fonts, and customized color schemes. This course will show you the basics of Cascading Style Sheets (CSS3). The emphasis will be on learning how to write CSS rules, how to test code, and how to establish good programming habits. When done correctly, the styling of a webpage can take enhance your page. When done incorrectly the result can be worse than no styling at all. To ensure that your sites do not put up barriers for people with cognitive and/or physical disabilities, you will learn how to evaluate pages using the standardized POUR accessibility guidelines. Upon completion of the course, learners will be able to sketch a design for a given HTML page. Using that design they will use CSS to implement the design by adding fonts, colors, and layouts. This is the second course in the Web Design For Everybody specialization. Subsequent courses focus on adding interaction with JavaScript and enhancing the styling with responsive design. It will be difficult to complete this course if you do not have access to a laptop or desktop computer for the homework....

GC
Dec 19, 2020

This course helped me hone my CSS skills. Even though I had some knowledge on the subject, I understood and practiced many things that I had difficulty understanding before. Thanks, Professor Colleen.

MK
Sep 25, 2020

This course is a recommendable for all beginners who are interested in designing and styling their web pages. The whole course is interesting and challenging at the end of the course and I enjoyed it.

26 - 50 of 1,751 Reviews for Introduction to CSS3

By Guy T C

Dec 20, 2020

By Rose L

Mar 2, 2016

This has to be the poorest educational experience Ive ever had. Virtually nothing is explained. The instructor says time & time again that she's not going to bother to explain in detail and that we should go out & explore all these free resources if we want to learn. SO WHY DID I PAY FOR THIS CLASS? Honestly, save your money. This is nothing but a rip-off and I am shocked that an institution like U of M would allow such a sloppy, lazy product to be out there under its brand.

To make matters worse, we are instructed time & time again to go out onto the discussion board and ask for help when she doesn't want to bother explaining a concept.

1. Everyone else taking this class is confused too - how could they possibly be of any help to me?

2. The staff who comes onto the boards are just about as rude & unhelpful as any I've ever seen. They literally say "well, did you WATCH the lecture?" Ummm- yes I did & it directed me to come here for help.

I feel duped. This is a scam and I can only say I am sorry I paid my money for this. If you really want to learn CSS, get yourself a good book on the subject and/or utilize the free material out on the internet. This will absolutely waste hours of your time and way too much of your money for what they are providing.

By Azzam b A J b S C

Mar 16, 2021

Greetings,

I have finally completed the course successfully. I just have few points that I think should be looked into. First one, is the length of the course. I think it should be longer, and deeper. the second think concerns the assignments, you will work throughout the course on the same assignment each week, just making few changes every week. (think it's annoying and there should be diversity). The assignment are also easy and anyone with basic knowledge of CSS could do it without the need for taking this course. Lastly, I found that this course focuses more on accessibility in each category, I acknowledge that it is a major issue, but it could've been discussed in one long video at the end of the course. Also it's too easy. I don't think I learned that much to be honest.

By Inder P S

Nov 28, 2020

Great course, the grading is not being tracked or checked by instructors as someone leaves false grading because they had submitted a really bad css file which I have to grade according to the questions being asked, but because I grade him he graded on purpose everything 0 even when I have submitted proper work. So the course is good but grading is disappointing as you felt let down by bad quality grading which does not give you enough motivation to continue :-(

By Carlos A G S E

Aug 3, 2017

Really good basic course. Gave it 5 stars as it was clearly defined as a begginers course. The content is provided through really quick sessions/videos but at the same time provides links, lectures and additional material for those who want to have a deeper understanding. The required exercises are simple and easy to complete, so in case you want to really master the coding, you'll have to practice a lot by yourself.

By Abdulfatai J

Aug 27, 2017

This is the second course I have taken in the Specialization Course. Colleen teaches the course's contents in a way every body can understand. I was entirely new to the web design space, but after taken the Introduction to HTML5 and Introduction to CSS3 courses, I can now design a web page to have a good look and feel. My plan is to take the next course so that I can add some interactivity to a web page via JavaScript.

By Kristina B

Apr 29, 2020

Really good course! I have been looking all over internet for a good course to learn web design, and this one is definitely the one I would recommend to everyone. The lecturer, Colleen van Lent, Ph.D., is great, she explains every little detail you need to know to work in CSS in a simple way. The assignments are perfect to practice what you have learned from previous lessons. Big thanks to Colleen van Lent, Ph.D!

By Valentin R

Aug 2, 2020

This course helps to enter the web design profession easily with good knowledge. All material is very well planned and lectures go from simple things to more complex. After finishing this course student feels comfortable with styling complex pages with CSS3.

Although another course "Introduction to HTML 5" is required before starting learning this one. Both courses together make a good basement for web development.

By Abhishek A

May 10, 2016

I joined the course as an experienced web developer. My intention was to do a formal course in css as I only learnt on need to know basis so far. This course helped me learn about the amazing things that can be done with css, some of which I relied on javascript earlier.

Professor Colleen teaches in a very sweet way, at the same time putting lot of emphasis on playing with code rather merely listening to lecturers.

May 22, 2018

A very interesting and easy to follow course on the basics of CSS3. The lecturer goes into all the expected topics in a simple manner, with clear language and a well structured approach.

The course also expects you to code along and experiment with the given knowledge. It is by no means a raw, expository course and instead takes the "learning by doing" approach, while providing all the guidance and resources.

By Jason M

Feb 18, 2019

Great course for learning CSS. I already knew some css coming into this but the course really helped strengthen my fundamentals and helped me learn a few good practices as well as experimenting with some CSS that I don't normally use since I started learning with flex/grid. I enjoyed the way we kept with a single project throughout the course and kept growing it as we went. I only wish the class was longer!

By Branislav S

Jun 13, 2018

This course, along with HTML from the same University, is a very quality one. You will learn in a short time how to make your webpage to look nice. Everything is done in a very quality way with a lot of presentations, practical uses and exercies. I strongly recommend this course. Last lessons are maybe a bit rushed, so it's a bit hard to understand what's going on unless you repeat the video few times.

By Kramer H

Apr 2, 2016

The quality of teaching is outstanding and I liked the pace and progression to the next section. If you work on reviewing the presented material to prepare for the quizzes and make regular effort to code using CSS, you will see that beginning without any understanding of CSS3, you will finish with a much better and in depth understanding on this subject...big time! Great course, I recommend it!

By Herman G C

Jul 27, 2017

For long time, web pages had won the fight. Currently I can understand very easily the subtle but very important changes I'd perceived since HTML4 but I always disparaged because misunderstood. I've been able to absorb and apply all the concepts easily with this such good guidance. Thanks to Professor Coleen, University of Michigan and Coursera to provide me with this great opportunity.

By SHREYA S C S C

Jun 27, 2021

I absolutely enjoyed every bit of this course! It has taught me about the basic foundations about using CSS of the latest version which is CSS3, and thanks to the instructor Colleen Van Lent, who has guided me all the way towards building a responsive and an attractive version for any website by the basics and it's structured lessons as well. Thanks for this wonderful opportunity!

By Sergio G

Sep 14, 2018

Increíble, una experiencia perfecta. He aprendido muchísimo. tengo que seguir practicando el diseño web pero me ha ayudado mucho. Recomiendo Seguir haciendo el curso siguiente de JavaScript.

Lo único que cambiaría es el tema de la correción de los estudiantes. Es un proceso que se demora bastante y si tienes prisa en conseguir el certificado lo vas a notar.

De todas formas, gracias.

By 曾羿寧

Mar 10, 2020

Thanks for providing such a great lesson! I am so glad that I decided to join this course, because I really learned lots of things that I didn't know before. I like the way that professor taught, and the homework and the "code together" part are really helpful for enhance my coding ability. Anyway, I highly recommend anyone who want to learn more about coding to join this course!

By Senbaga P M

Sep 19, 2020

This course will be a good start, if you are a beginner in Web Development domain.You will be essentially provided with an opportunity to explore through various fun filled web pages.

As a bonus tip ,at the end of the course they will guide you with where next to go and how to improvise your web development skills.Do what you do best with passion and that's it!! . Best of luck!!

By Kate M

Sep 30, 2016

I cannot believe how much I have learned in this course. I went to knowing zero about web development to being able to style a whole page. Colleen is such a good instructor and the homework was pretty difficult, but very rewarding! Definitely a good class for beginners like me. I have taken classes through springboard, and i did not feel like they were as organized as this one.

By Syed A A

Jun 26, 2019

the experience was damn great, i mean M/s COLLEEN is a wonderful teacher the way she explain is fantastic .she do every possibility to explain each and everything in a proper sequence. Overall the experience of teaching from m/s COLLEEN was pretty awesome. i suggest everyone who wanna make their carrier in web development and wants to learn the #CSS , learn from m/s COLLEEN..

By shenaan

Aug 10, 2016

Loved this course and Colleen. She quickly becomes one of my favourite teachers at Coursera. The course is informative, vell-structured and interesting. I might come back later and review in one more time, simply because it has some useful moments I do not want to forget. Assignments are well thought through and indeed valuable. I trully learned a lot! Thanks :)

By ALLISON J

Dec 12, 2018

Professor Colleen van Lent is wonderful at teaching this online course. She guides you through the process and supplements the information with links that weren't covered by the lecture. It's also a great idea to grade fellow students work to see how they code & to learn from them too.

I am grateful I found this program and look forward to learning Javascript!

By Mia M

Sep 1, 2020

This course is a great starting point for learning CSS. It has just the right pace and the lecturer is amazing. The structure of the course is very well organized, as it provides you with the basics of CSS but also kind of gives you a hint of the more complex things you can do with it. In all, would recommend it to anyone aspiring to become a web developer.

By Bettina H

Mar 11, 2016

+ Coleen is a good and funny teacher;

+ videos are easily to understand also for not english native speakers;

+ I learned some things and tricks despite the fact that I am already using CSS3 in my daily work.

- in my opinion it is necessary to have some experience with CSS before joining this course.

Commitment: I needed about 10 hours/week of study

By Yesook I

Dec 20, 2016

It was quite demanding to complete this course while pursuing my work. But it's worth doing because I learned many things that I can't learn by myself. "Save to offline" function in Coursera mobile app was perfect for me. That enabled me to take course lessons during my commute. I appreciate the lecturer's effort as well as the Coursera's effort.